The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should a woman go to jail for falsely accusing a man of rape?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
Well luckily that won't happen.

So perhaps carpet bomb the Middle East? More innocent people will die but if we get isis surely it's justified by your logic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly you don't understand my logic.

I don't believe we should kill innocents to prevent killing.

But I do think it is OK to imprison some innocents to prevent rape.

This is because rape is worse than prison, and thus the argument cannot be extended to murder as you put it.
Either jail, or being fined - imagine all the damage she's caused to the poor guy's life (his criminal record, his appearance to potential employers, his family etc.) :erm:
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
I should clarify I'm only referring to the cases where the victim accuses a person of rape, not cases where the identity rapist is unknown.

This should eliminate the problem of wrong people taking the place of the rapist.

She could still think it was the wrong person. It's dark and she fills in the gaps in her traumatic experience.
Clearly you don't understand my logic.

I don't believe we should kill innocents to prevent killing.

But I do think it is OK to imprison some innocents to prevent rape.

This is because rape is worse than prison, and thus the argument cannot be extended to murder as you put it.

It's using the same principle on a different action but I'll adapt it slightly. Should we imprison all Muslims? It'll mean innocent people going to jail but at least we'll stop Isis

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's using the same principle on a different action but I'll adapt it slightly. Should we imprison all Muslims? It'll mean innocent people going to jail but at least we'll stop Isis

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but suspected terrorists should be assumed to be guilty until proven innocent as well.
Reply 186
Firstly, don't believe this is at all common. And, yes, where it is proven it is a very serious offence.
Original post by Zarek
Firstly, don't believe this is at all common. And, yes, where it is proven it is a very serious offence.

I mean, I'd disagree insofar as I don't thin we have any real idea how common it is. I would along with you like to assume it isn't all that common, because I'd like to think there aren't that many people who would do such a heinous thing as this. but the reality is because of how tricky it is to prove things in the case of rape one way or the other it's very difficult to have a very reliable idea of what the numbers are.
The gender doesn't matter. If a person falsely accuses another of a crime and then later admits that they were lying then definitely they should go to jail/ be fined for committing perjury, wasting the courts time and damages inflicted onto the person that was wasting away their time in jail.
Reply 189
[QUOTE=limetang;59615561]I mean, I'd disagree insofar as I don't thin we have any real idea how common it is. I would along with you like to assume it isn't all that common, because I'd like to think there aren't that many people who would do such a heinous thing as this. but the reality is because of how tricky it is to prove things in the case of rape one way or the other it's very difficult to have a very reliable idea of what the numbers are.
Just following my instincts. A legal professional in this area could probably give a more informed view.
Delete
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
A quick question to FM's that are saying she shouldn't go to prison.
If a man fabricated an accusation of sexual assault against a woman (rape not being an option) and as a result she loses her kids, family home , career and goes to prison only for it to be shown that he lied to hurt her, should he go to prison?

Einstein?...any feminist?
Einstein?...any feminist?

I'm thinking you're not going to get an answer.
I'm thinking that too but I like to give them a chance to say before I assume they are hypocrites.
Original post by zigglr
If the man was proven to not have raped her, and she said that he did, then she has been proved to be lying therefore perverting the court

People can be found not guilty for stupid reasons. Our court is not completely just, unfortunately.
No but suspected terrorists should be assumed to be guilty until proven innocent as well.

Well thanks for making evident you're either a troll or just very unintelligent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well thanks for making evident you're either a troll or just very unintelligent

Posted from TSR Mobile

How so when many nations now treat suspected terrorists as being guilty until proven innocent.

E.g. from Australia:

" Under ‘foreign fighters legislation’ that was introduced last year, people who travel to certain areas of Syria and Iraq will now have to prove that they are not involved in terrorist activity."

http://nswcourts.com.au/articles/guilty-until-proven-innocent-is-it-fair-to-reverse-the-onus-of-proof/

And similarly it has been proposed in the UK by the mayor of London:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/25/boris-johnson-britons-visiting-iraq-syria-presumed-terrorists

So I don't think my views can be discounted so quickly.
How so when many nations now treat suspected terrorists as being guilty until proven innocent.

E.g. from Australia:

" Under ‘foreign fighters legislation’ that was introduced last year, people who travel to certain areas of Syria and Iraq will now have to prove that they are not involved in terrorist activity."

http://nswcourts.com.au/articles/guilty-until-proven-innocent-is-it-fair-to-reverse-the-onus-of-proof/

And similarly it has been proposed in the UK by the mayor of London:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/25/boris-johnson-britons-visiting-iraq-syria-presumed-terrorists

So I don't think my views can be discounted so quickly.

That's very different to presuming a terror suspect innocent until they can prove otherwise. Despite the fact I disagree with it I can see the rationale behind it; why else are you going to Syria right now. Also you didn't make it clear whether that legislation will simply mean they can't travel or if they return to Australia they'll be arrested.

Talking about presuming all people accused of terrorism are guilty until they can prove otherwise is quite significantly worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well?
A quick question to FM's that are saying she shouldn't go to prison.
If a man fabricated an accusation of sexual assault against a woman (rape not being an option) and as a result she loses her kids, family home , career and goes to prison only for it to be shown that he lied to hurt her, should he go to prison?

Come on Einstein, you can do it.😊

Latest

Trending

Trending