The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by dropdeadthespian
What is you guys #1 school? Mine was rcs now I think I think lamda would be best for what I want.

Depends, on vibe and how it was am there for me it was GSA but then for reputation somewhere like RADA or LAMDA, but I actually think the top one is between one of those two or Guildhall
Can it be October?
What is you guys #1 school? Mine was rcs now I think I think lamda would be best for what I want.

Mine is East 15 at Essex; it seems to offer the best opportunities for me to have a rounded theatrical education. LAMDA is number 2, Guildford is number 3, and Mountview is number 4.
@cytja_0288 I have east15 on my list but honestly I feel like I don't know much about them. I just read there program. What do you like about them?
@cytja_0288 I have east15 on my list but honestly I feel like I don't know much about them. I just read there program. What do you like about them?

East 15 offers a great acting program for international students that focuses on basic skills as well as complex skills combined. And I also like the location of the school as well, in Loughton.

Juilliard, then LAMDA
I found the perfect monologue piece nd it was mde a little before 1955 and the schools want something after. It was however revised in the 70s do you think that counts as a contemporary play?
I found the perfect monologue piece nd it was mde a little before 1955 and the schools want something after. It was however revised in the 70s do you think that counts as a contemporary play?

Which one? Which one? :biggrin:
HELP
I'm looking and looking and can't find a dramatic contemporary monologue.
My classical one is comedic, both playful and bossy/bitch-slapping at once, so I think I need sth dramatic for the contemporary one.
However I wouldn't like sth with very negative emotions like a monologue of a victim, someone dying etc., or a monologue of a mother or wife because it would be too difficult to relate to it.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queenofpeace
Which one? Which one? :biggrin:

I left out the name on purpose. But I think current auditionees aren't going to share there pieces. Its quite hard to find one. I would suggest reading plays.
Reply 170

Yes, well it depends if it's similar to how berkoff revised the trial and metamorphosis by Kafka then yes but if some director has just taken the piece and added an interpretation they think is 'indie' then no
I left out the name on purpose. But I think current auditionees aren't going to share there pieces. Its quite hard to find one. I would suggest reading plays.

Yeah, sorry, I get it.
I know that reading plays is the best way, but the problem is that I don't live in the UK so I don't have access to very many plays in English.
Reply 172

yeh I'm similar and I'm going to go for it (original early '50s revised in the '90s).

^everyone now trying to guess what play i'm talking about :P
I feel like I have so little experience.

Why is that? Also I think they are not really looking for experience. they are looking for people that are trainable and have potential. But you can never know what they want each year. ( havent auditioned yet, i know these from what other people have told me)
I have only been chorus in school and haven't had much experience in acting other than a few workshops.

I really hope the hear my monologues and I blow them out of the water. Because I am extremely confident in them. But I still feel I am at a disadvantage because I never really was a theater kid. :frown:
I have only been chorus in school and haven't had much experience in acting other than a few workshops.

I really hope the hear my monologues and I blow them out of the water. Because I am extremely confident in them. But I still feel I am at a disadvantage because I never really was a theater kid. :frown:

You know what? Don't think like that. Do what you got to do until the auditions, work as hard as you can and then show them why you really want this. Go to the theatre and/or attend some acting classes/workshops if you can afford it.
Reply 177
Original post by cytja_0288
Thanks!

I'm not applying to Central, so I don't have to worry about that. But the contemporary piece is published so that I have no problem with that. It's just that I took another person's advice and narrowed it down to those that speak to me the most as opposed to age requirements.

I'll have two classical and one contemporary prepared, I think...

My advise, is to choose monologues where you could be cast in the role, where a casting director would see you playing that part.
Original post by Rhymie
My advise, is to choose monologues where you could be cast in the role, where a casting director would see you playing that part.

Thanks! I haven't thought of that either, so that helps as well.

Want to hear a story?

I first got involved with theatre when I was 12 years old, and that was when I fell in love with the performing arts. I was both a techie (short for technical) and an actress when I was in high school, and had to do a lot of growing up in order to get the supporting roles I auditioned for.

I knew I wanted to be an actor once I got to college, but after I transferred from a smaller community college to a large public university, I was troubled by the competition and intensity. So, I switched majors, and I later on regretted it deeply because it wasn't what I really wanted and I just wasn't getting it. I ended up returning to theatre for the last two semesters of college (while being involved with a theatrical troupe on the side), and knew it was the one thing that could make me happy.

The sad part is after I graduated four years ago, I still regret my decision to switch majors and not get the assistance I wanted to get into acting. And on top of that, I was unable to find a job in the arts for four years because I was scared and unsure where to go after graduation.

The point is that I'm very passionate about theatre; it helped save my life so many times (and that's another story), and I would be lost without it. If you have the passion and the stamina, go for it! Don't let anything stop you! I honestly haven't been in theatre for four years, but I have the determination and passion to go back to school to do the one thing that makes me happiest, and that's half the battle right there.

As many of your peers suggested, go to acting classes/workshops, theatrical performances, and get involved with community theatre to get your feet wet. Do whatever it takes to reach your dream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending