The Student Room Group

Why does China not care about it's environmental state?

I though yin and yan meant peace in the balance. Didn't china have a cultural history of being at peace with nature. I suppose the Chinese forgot about that ever since the famine they suffered in the 50s.
Original post by Retropattern
I though yin and yang meant peace in the balance. Didn't china have a cultural history of being at peace with nature. I suppose the Chinese forgot about that ever since the famine they suffered in the 50s.

yeah we eat dogs and scorpions. that's some peace with nature i assume.

I would said that in terms of political wise, focusing on economic development is the most obvious path to sustain a government, or some may say the ruling party. We don't know what would happen in long term, but the tianjin explosion sure gives us an hindsight of what might happen...... would they(we) suffer the famine again? I cannot be certain.
Capitalism
You're forgetting that in the Victorian era the pollution in London was so bad it was basically like walking through clouds. The pollution is only gone because we've exported those activities elsewhere e.g. to China.
Reply 4
Because the Chinese, probably rightly, believe that losing out on economic prosperity is a bigger threat to their interests than any likely environmental damage they could realistically wreak.
Reply 5
China only cares about money.
China is investing heavily in nuclear energy, they have something like 27 plants and making 25 more (don't quote me on figures lol) and considering it's going to loose all/most of its drinking water by 2030 or something. I'm sure a lot of its resources will be thrown at the environment in the near future

They're also making big pledges for cutting carbon emissions which encouraged US to do the same. You have to give them some credit

Posted from TSR Mobile
but they're not capitalists.... pfft who am i kidding biggest flipping capitalists in the world. :colonhash:
Original post by lai812matthew
yeah we eat dogs and scorpions. that's some peace with nature i assume.

I would said that in terms of political wise, focusing on economic development is the most obvious path to sustain a government, or some may say the ruling party. We don't know what would happen in long term, but the tianjin explosion sure gives us an hindsight of what might happen...... would they(we) suffer the famine again? I cannot be certain.

ooh, i've also heard that you eat chicken foetuses :puke:. (Source: An Idiot Abroad, crudest way of obtaining useful information)

I though China had a 1 party system, so like they win whatever the weather. But anyway, I think China should forget about becoming a global superpower if has to import water from abroad, as literally 1/3 of its rivers and 3/4 of its lakes are either highly or severely polluted. They have to start acting now, economic for short term, isn't worth their environmental issues (of course in my opinion). The future looks bleak, it's not good.
China is actually one of the biggest leaders in clean energy today.

Their environmental budget for 2010 to 2015 was around half a trillion dollars.

They spend twice as much on clean energy technology than the US.

True, it's got lots of problems to sort out, but they've certainly put the initiative, unlike a lot of other western countries, many of whose politicians are happy to keep saying that climate change is a liberal myth.
It's because they want to catch up(and exceed) the West economically. Funny thing though, their stupid fast pace has meant they lack in fundamental foundation and structure and are hence heading towards a quick total collapse economically and environmentally.
ooh, i've also heard that you eat chicken foetuses :puke:. (Source: An Idiot Abroad, crudest way of obtaining useful information)

I though China had a 1 party system, so like they win whatever the weather. But anyway, I think China should forget about becoming a global superpower if has to import water from abroad, as literally 1/3 of its rivers and 3/4 of its lakes are either highly or severely polluted. They have to start acting now, economic for short term, isn't worth their environmental issues (of course in my opinion). The future looks bleak, it's not good.

forgive me for being pessimistic, but there are quite a few flaws in the economy of china as you know the stock market collapse for almost a week with no reason at all. also the legal system is pretty much screwed up. factories are starting to move to southeast asia countries for lower cost and the R & D is not the best part of the country. to sum it up, China's economy might actually in a brink of falling apart.
but they're not capitalists.... pfft who am i kidding biggest flipping capitalists in the world. :colonhash:

a communism system and capitalism market......this isn't gonna be good
I though yin and yan meant peace in the balance. Didn't china have a cultural history of being at peace with nature. I suppose the Chinese forgot about that ever since the famine they suffered in the 50s.

They do care and are rapidly changing to green energy etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending