The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studdybuddy101
Have people been preparing for the Elat?

Hi I haven't started yet, will probably start in earnest after my PS is sent off to be honest! Just a general question for anyone doing the ELAT, what is the norm; to choose two texts and compare or three texts? Only I did one practice paper and compared three texts but paragraphing went to pot! Thanks :smile:
Original post by charleethompson
I've done some of the practice papers online, and I really like the ELAT personally, as weird as that sounds! Its nice to be able to write your own question around the key word and structure an argument you want to make. I think i'll start properly practicing next month.

Are you applying to study straight English or a joint degree?

I am applying for straight English. :smile: What about you and what college?

And yeah, I get what you mean, there is quite a lot of freedom to explore what you want as the question is quite vague. My tutor told me to just enjoy it and try not to worry so much and he went to Oxford to do English only a few years back :smile: He said he didn't do that well in it either.
Original post by georgiaf
Hi I haven't started yet, will probably start in earnest after my PS is sent off to be honest! Just a general question for anyone doing the ELAT, what is the norm; to choose two texts and compare or three texts? Only I did one practice paper and compared three texts but paragraphing went to pot! Thanks :smile:

Hey, well I went to a talk about it the other day from a second year at Oxford studying English. She said just do whatever is managable for you, she said she found it difficult to do three so she only did two.
Hey, well I went to a talk about it the other day from a second year at Oxford studying English. She said just do whatever is managable for you, she said she found it difficult to do three so she only did two.

Thanks for the info...tbh the papers I've seen so far seem pretty fun it's just getting the timing sorted!
Thanks for the info...tbh the papers I've seen so far seem pretty fun it's just getting the timing sorted!

Which college are you thinking of? Is it for straight English?
Original post by chicken15642
I'm going to be going to Worcester College. If you were wondering why I chose it then I'd say it is a stunning college and I just adored the environment there!

The videos probably won't be up until I actually start at Oxford, if you want to PM me then feel free (I might be a little slow replying, I'm trying to get all my things sorted for uni)!

I've just checked and the HAT is on the 4th of November, so I'll try and get up a video on how I approached it about a month before. I don't want to post videos until I'm actually there - weird I know, I just would prefer to be able to talk about my experience being an "official fresher"- so it will probably be up around the 6th of October. Feel free to PM me any questions you have before then (although I'm no expert and I'm still slightly bemused as to how I even got in)

Sorry for any grammar/spelling errors, I had to write this in a real rush!!!!!

I'm about to start my second year of history at Worcester college ☺️
Original post by colourtheory
I'm about to start my second year of history at Worcester college ☺️

I find it funny that your name sounds like a mathematician!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying for straight English. :smile: What about you and what college?

And yeah, I get what you mean, there is quite a lot of freedom to explore what you want as the question is quite vague. My tutor told me to just enjoy it and try not to worry so much and he went to Oxford to do English only a few years back :smile: He said he didn't do that well in it either.

That is really reassuring! I'm applying for straight English as well, at Oriel College. What about you?

I'm really happy with my grades, its just my subject choices that will weaken my application so I'm not really sure if I'll even get an interview (even though 60% ish do get an interview for English which is pretty good)
Which college are you thinking of? Is it for straight English?

Yep straight English all the way :wink: I'm applying to Somerville I think - although I've not actually visited it yet. What about you? x
Original post by C0balt
I find it funny that your name sounds like a mathematician!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's got more to do with art ☺️
Original post by charleethompson
That is really reassuring! I'm applying for straight English as well, at Oriel College. What about you?

I'm really happy with my grades, its just my subject choices that will weaken my application so I'm not really sure if I'll even get an interview (even though 60% ish do get an interview for English which is pretty good)

Wadham I think :smile:, I am applying post a2 so I got my grades, I just need the Elat to go well. What are you subject choices?
Yep straight English all the way :wink: I'm applying to Somerville I think - although I've not actually visited it yet. What about you? x

I am thinking wadham, love the atmoshere and the students. Why Somerville?

I thought Maths too when I first saw it, actually!
Reply 2553
My local British council requires me to submit my TSA application forms tomorrow, but I didn't complete my UCAS application yet. Is this a problem? I've my UCAS ID, and only it is required in the form.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ylmdk
My local British council requires me to submit my TSA application forms tomorrow, but I didn't complete my UCAS application yet. Is this a problem? I've my UCAS ID, and only it is required in the form.

No, not a problem. TSA is organised by the university not UCAS. They will join the bits together after the UCAS deadline.

I was thinking of four colour theory or whatever you call it:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Hi :biggrin:
Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it :smile:

Something I noticed was that only 10% of applicants had two sciences and one non-science subject... does anyone know why this is? Is it just the typical stereotype that you must have physics or maths? If only 7% of people who got accepted had only two science A Levels then that worries me slightly haha!

Its pretty representative of the cohort that apply to medicine. People are often told by their schools to do bio chem maths so they do.

In reality, if med schools wanted 3 sciences they could easily, easily ask for it. They'd still have a great surplus of applicants. Yet only one (Cambridge) does.

You just need to make sure you're covered for doing the BMAT, which is absolutely vital in securing an interview (as you can see from those stats).
Original post by nexttime
Its pretty representative of the cohort that apply to medicine. People are often told by their schools to do bio chem maths so they do.

In reality, if med schools wanted 3 sciences they could easily, easily ask for it. They'd still have a great surplus of applicants. Yet only one (Cambridge) does.

You just need to make sure you're covered for doing the BMAT, which is absolutely vital in securing an interview (as you can see from those stats).

So you don't think it'd disadvantage me?
I see what you mean, the school's seem to be set on the belief that maths or physics is a necessity. I rung the other universities that I was applying to and was told that this was the worst rumour that could possibly be around as they said it was dissuading good applicants from applying. I chose an essay based subject as my third subject because I really enjoy it and personally I feel as though it gives me more analytical skills.

Also, I noticed on New College's website that they state 'though A Level chemistry is required most candidates also have two from biology/maths and physics'. This is the college I was planning on apply to, so do you think this will go against me as it states this on the website, or do you think it is just mentioning it for statistical purposes? After all, most people do have three science subjects haha! :smile:

Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
I rung the other universities that I was applying to and was told that this was the worst rumour that could possibly be around as they said it was dissuading good applicants from applying.

Its very frustrating when people post on TSR that 'its not a requirement but unis still want it'... as if admissions departments are deliberately deceiving candidates by keeping their true policies secret because... reasons?!

Also, I noticed on New College's website that they state 'though A Level chemistry is required most candidates also have two from biology/maths and physics'. This is the college I was planning on apply to, so do you think this will go against me as it states this on the website, or do you think it is just mentioning it for statistical purposes? After all, most people do have three science subjects haha! :smile:

Thank you for your help!

In all honesty if I were in your position I would not apply to them if they've said that. What they've said is factually correct but the fact that they've gone out of their way to say it just makes me wonder about whether the person who wrote it does want to see 3 sciences. Its up to you and others may disagree but I would personally apply elsewhere. New is a very nice college though so tough decision.
Original post by nexttime
Its very frustrating when people post on TSR that 'its not a requirement but unis still want it'... as if admissions departments are deliberately deceiving candidates by keeping their true policies secret because... reasons?!

In all honesty if I were in your position I would not apply to them if they've said that. What they've said is factually correct but the fact that they've gone out of their way to say it just makes me wonder about whether the person who wrote it does want to see 3 sciences. Its up to you and others may disagree but I would personally apply elsewhere. New is a very nice college though so tough decision.

I know what you mean, there are so many people on TSR that seem to think they know everything about medical applications when in fact they don't know enough. I took AS Maths and it was the biggest regret of my life, I didn't enjoy it and I would have much rather studied a different subject than had to devote so much time to a subject I really had no interest in. I didn't mind integration, differentiation and the topics along those lines although apart from that I found myself wishing I'd chosen something else.

Hmm you make a good point. I don't know whether to apply to a college that states that they don't mind what subject you choose as your third subject, I'm just so unsure! I've asked a few people and they're all telling me just to stay with New but I'm really grateful for your help as you're putting it into perspective for me. Do you think it would be risky? I want to ensure that my application is at least considered as my stats are good (I hope), so I don't want my college choice to ruin my Oxford chances for me!

Thank you once again, I actually do really appreciate the help :smile: it's just such a stressful time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending