The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Lets be real is that because hes an interesting read or just spouts the most utter ****e

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit of both tbh. The Slip is my favourite chapter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax
Daily Fail reporting that if Klopp joins then he wants the transfer committee gone.

If you're a smaller/mid-level club, I actually understand the idea of having a Director of Football/Transfer Committee in place. Take Swansea for example, they've had a string of decent manager so in the last 7 years they have had 5 different managers (Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, Laudrup, Monk). Then you have an issue of each new manager wanting a certain direction but then being sacked, leaving or being poached by a bigger club. At least with a DoF/TC, you get some consistency in the recruitment policy.

The task at Liverpool is a little more difficult and the manager is the one who takes the blame for any failure. At this level, if the manager isn't able to chose his players, he's either going to struggle to implement his vision or not going to have faith in players he doesn't want. Since 1991 when Dalglish resigned, we've pretty much sacked every manager other than Roy Evans. It's only 6 managers in that period (Souness, Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson, Dalglish and Rodgers) but we tend not to lose managers to other big clubs.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/27/liverpool-aston-villa-premier-league-match-report

“I think I have shown in the early stages of my management without being arrogant that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end of the league. I know how to manage top players. If you give me the tools, I’ll do the work.” The inference, for the majority of the Liverpool side who were at Anfield during last season’s slump to sixth place, was damning, but Rodgers has a capacity to produce inadvertently revealing comments.

You would think Rodgers would be careful about firing shots at FSG since he pretty much only seems to have their backing..

Precisely. When you're at a high level club like Liverpool, you're in it long term. Therefore having the manager solely in charge of building his team is a good idea. Like you said with the transfer committee there's ambiguity about who is exactly to blame and if you don't know what's wrong, you can't fix it.

Stupid thing to say in my opinion.
When we had Suarez he did well managing a team that were performing at the top of their game. But it's like managing Barca; sometimes when a team clicks you barely have to do anything.
I'm not saying Rodgers didn't do much but you do start to wonder when as soon as Suarez leaves, the club falls apart.

You can't just say "I can only manage top teams" as your excuse for performing poorly.
Considering the resources he has already used, it's hilarious that he's still asking for the "tools" to perform well.
At this stage he should already have the components he needs and if he doesn't then that's his own fault.

Jesus, evenn when we win I can't stand him...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 462
Original post by Lúcio
Precisely. When you're at a high level club like Liverpool, you're in it long term. Therefore having the manager solely in charge of building his team is a good idea. Like you said with the transfer committee there's ambiguity about who is exactly to blame and if you don't know what's wrong, you can't fix it.

Stupid thing to say in my opinion.
When we had Suarez he did well managing a team that were performing at the top of their game. But it's like managing Barca; sometimes when a team clicks you barely have to do anything.
I'm not saying Rodgers didn't do much but you do start to wonder when as soon as Suarez leaves, the club falls apart.

You can't just say "I can only manage top teams" as your excuse for performing poorly.
Considering the resources he has already used, it's hilarious that he's still asking for the "tools" to perform well.
At this stage he should already have the components he needs and if he doesn't then that's his own fault.

Jesus, evenn when we win I can't stand him...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I presume he's trying to blame the transfer committee for our lack of quality players? Doesn't really excuse why we finished below Spurs in two of his three seasons in charge though.
I presume he's trying to blame the transfer committee for our lack of quality players? Doesn't really excuse why we finished below Spurs in two of his three seasons in charge though.

Even though we have/had a committee, he was still on it and you would imagine he would have the strongest say.
So even though he isn't 100% to blame, he still is a sizeable amount.

As a manager, if he didn't support a transfer decision, I can only assume that Liverpool wouldn't go through with it. What's the point buying players that the manager doesn't want to use or doesn't know how to utilise best?

He's just trying to deflect as much of the blame as possible in case we lose midweek and/or in the Merseyside Derby.
He's not a bad manager. He's just not a good one either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 464
Original post by Lúcio
Even though we have/had a committee, he was still on it and you would imagine he would have the strongest say.
So even though he isn't 100% to blame, he still is a sizeable amount.

As a manager, if he didn't support a transfer decision, I can only assume that Liverpool wouldn't go through with it. What's the point buying players that the manager doesn't want to use or doesn't know how to utilise best?

He's just trying to deflect as much of the blame as possible in case we lose midweek and/or in the Merseyside Derby.
He's not a bad manager. He's just not a good one either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea agree - he must have generally had the final say? Pretty sure he got more power over transfers as time went by too.

Well we can't really afford to lose mid-week. We do need to get out of this EL group. Need to improve our co-efficient points for if we ever do get back in the CL.

I think his biggest problem is that he doesn't have a consistent base level which he is above?
Brenton isn't a bad manager at all, he just isn't good enough for a club with the ambition of Liverpool. Swansea was his level.

You've only finished above Spurs once in 6 seasons so that isn't exactly Rodgers' fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Brenton isn't a bad manager at all, he just isn't good enough for a club with the ambition of Liverpool. Swansea was his level.

You've only finished above Spurs once in 6 seasons so that isn't exactly Rodgers' fault

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got to ask, why do you use Brenton all the time? find all nicknames (Tekkers, Milly, Shrek) are just a bit cringey (despite valid comparisons with Brent).

I agree withy you though, said it before it's clear he's a good manager, but doesn't seem to have the capacity to become a great manager. To be fair, he is 42, and in 10 years he might have become a lot wiser to past mistakes. Might being the key word though, as there is no evidence to suggest he will.
Nicknames are cringey as ****.

Anyway, my thoughts on the weekend...

It was remarkably uplifting to see Sturridge back. Bang. No questions asked. Just score a brace and get on with it. His link-up with Coutinho was on another level. I thought the latter was way below par, but it says a lot about his ability that he can turn in a 6/10 performance and still be the most influential player in the middle of the park.

Lucas was absolutely great, too. He really played Traore well, but I was surprised by just how little Villa offered. For Sherwood to tell his side to come to Anfield and just shut up shop in a bid to frustrate us went totally against his persona. He's brash, brave and his Villa side played really expansive and effective football against us in the semi-final at Wembley back in March. They were exceptional. On Saturday, they played within themselves.

The goal came too early in some respects. We didn't put out hand around their throat or stamp down our authority, which was a shame. We got the confidence from the goal, but we struggled thereafter in terms of chances and Villa failed to really come at us which didn't help. Despite what MOTD showed, Villa never threatened and we were comfortable.

It was a game too far for Ings, I felt. He was tired and no wonder, having played 120 minutes in midweek. Gestede's goals were well taken, the second especially, but Mignolet is fast becoming a liability once again and nobody came out of their equaliser with any glory. Sakho was questionable. Skrtel didn't do anything and looked hapless, and Can completely failed to track his man.

I feel sorry for Clyne in some respects, given that he's always linked up well with a right winger but now he's being tasked with being a right wing all by himself. He has nobody in front of him at times, which must be tough for a player like him.

Still, three points and three goals. It was one of the first times I have enjoyed watching us play since around March, really. Maybe even before that. It was such a delight to see us score more than once, too.
Original post by Gob Bluth
I agree withy you though, said it before it's clear he's a good manager, but doesn't seem to have the capacity to become a great manager. To be fair, he is 42, and in 10 years he might have become a lot wiser to past mistakes. Might being the key word though, as there is no evidence to suggest he will.

Well outline his mistakes mate? Get anyone else to outline them too.

The main one which people use is 'playing players out of position' which I've already shown has been a general success for us, with the exception of Can at right back for a spell last year, in a run of games where the whole team was ****, the alternative was Glen Johnson, and it's a position where he's been used before and his World Cup winning national manager deems him suitable for us in.

Aside from that people say too tactically inflexible and on the other hand some say he tries too many systems, make your minds up, there's no winning situation for Rodgers here. If he goes out attacking and we lose then he's naive, and if he's playing a 4-5-1 in Europe and we lose, he's going against his principles.

The truth is that we struggled for a long time last season largely due to recruitment issues and Steven Gerrard, neither of which he had any control over. As for this season, give him 10+ games as I've said before. But from the United game onwards last year, his main issue seem to be motivating his players and embedding a winning mentality in them. Both of which are genuine, largely unavoidable issues and common issues in a team of young players, and we probably have the youngest team in the league. But he rightly tried to get around that by buying PL hardened players in the summer. And we'll see how that works out this year, and if it doesn't, he's worthy of the sack, but give him 10 games at least.

People who slag him off are largely morons who fail to recognise that he's been competing against 'rivals' who have higher wage bills, bigger transfer budgets and more settled squads full of experienced stars. I do think he should have been sacked in the summer (mainly because I'd like Klopp in) but the people attacking him like sr90 and a lot of our fans are retarded in most cases.

His main fault is team selection, rather than team tactics or anything else. Ignoring Sakho and Lucas was criminal last year and this season too. I don't think he's a brilliant judge of a player.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Well outline his mistakes mate? Get anyone else to outline them too.

The main one which people use is 'playing players out of position' which I've already shown has been a general success for us, with the exception of Can at right back for a spell last year, in a run of games where the whole team was ****, the alternative was Glen Johnson, and it's a position where he's been used before and his World Cup winning national manager deems him suitable for us in.

Aside from that people say too tactically inflexible and on the other hand some say he tries too many systems, make your minds up, there's no winning situation for Rodgers here. If he goes out attacking and we lose then he's naive, and if he's playing a 4-5-1 in Europe and we lose, he's going against his principles.

The truth is that we struggled for a long time last season largely due to recruitment issues and Steven Gerrard, neither of which he had any control over. As for this season, give him 10+ games as I've said before. But from the United game onwards last year, his main issue seem to be motivating his players and embedding a winning mentality in them. Both of which are genuine, largely unavoidable issues and common issues in a team of young players, and we probably have the youngest team in the league. But he rightly tried to get around that by buying PL hardened players in the summer. And we'll see how that works out this year, and if it doesn't, he's worthy of the sack, but give him 10 games at least.

People who slag him off are largely morons who fail to recognise that he's been competing against 'rivals' who have higher wage bills, bigger transfer budgets and more settled squads full of experienced stars. I do think he should have been sacked in the summer (mainly because I'd like Klopp in) but the people attacking him like sr90 and a lot of our fans are retarded in most cases.

His main fault is team selection, rather than team tactics or anything else. Ignoring Sakho and Lucas was criminal last year and this season too. I don't think he's a brilliant judge of a player.

I think you've forgotten his failure to get a centre midfield that looks remotely decent. Schneiderlein last season after CL qualification surely was a good option?

I would say I rate him more than the majority on here, however it doesn't appear that he is learning from mistakes, and dispays like Norwich and Carlilse at home were as bad as I have seen it. The manager must take some of the blame for that.

I can't remember the time Liverpool last comfortably won a match, it's concerning when it seems like every win is holding on.

Player recruitment shouldn't be avoided as Lovren and Lallana were two of his apparent choices, and cost £40-£45 between them. Is he doing transfers this season, or is it the commitee. Would say transfers look better this year with the likes of Clyne and Ings proving already (Milner has been hit and miss but will prove to be a good transfer) looking good.

I'm sceptical but open to being proved wrong about him in the future, but the signs aren't great from the performances this season so far. I'm not counting United away, as I am in the camp where I think the tactics were right, but the likes of Coutinho was sorely missed in that game as there was nothing offensively unfortunately that was offered until United scored, where I think the reply was good. Either way, that's not an example of a bad performance, but not a great one either.
Would say your best striker coming back and along with Coutinho being fully fit and hopefully Firmino settling into the league will mean that Liverpool will have a potent attacking force.

I have hope for Liverpool if Rodgers can keep those players fit. Benteke we'll have to see how he fits alongside Sturridge. Ings looks a good player though, links up decent enough, works hard off the ball and has good pace. By all means he's not a flop signing. Beats Aspas who wasn't physical enough to handle the league.
There really is no point in delaying the inevitable. Rodgers has lost the faith of the fans and when that happens at a club the size of Liverpool, especially when a proportion of them are already foaming at the mouth over one of the candidates, then your days are numbered. We all know it's going to happen because already the form books point towards a very average season indeed. Also, you cannot keep a manager of Klopp's calibre waiting too long because there will be other clubs eager to snap him up in the near future and then when the club does opt to replace Rodgers the only available options will be managers who will want an enormous transfer kitty or managers of a lower level wishing to make the step up.

I would love Klopp as manager and I'd also aim to bring back Dietmar Hamann and get him involved in the academy setup. Klopp loves to utilise the 4-2-3-1 formation and in this formation the 2 players sitting in front of the back four are of key importance and there were only a handful of players in the Premier League era who were better than Hamann in that role. I totally understand the importance of playing nice football and wanting to create but there is no point doing that if you are lacking concentration and discipline at key points throughout the game. We need a manager who will instil a sense of discipline and metal into the team because at the moment we look very vulnerable and jagged at times.
Original post by Gob Bluth
I think you've forgotten his failure to get a centre midfield that looks remotely decent. Schneiderlein last season after CL qualification surely was a good option?

I would say I rate him more than the majority on here, however it doesn't appear that he is learning from mistakes, and dispays like Norwich and Carlilse at home were as bad as I have seen it. The manager must take some of the blame for that.

I can't remember the time Liverpool last comfortably won a match, it's concerning when it seems like every win is holding on.

Player recruitment shouldn't be avoided as Lovren and Lallana were two of his apparent choices, and cost £40-£45 between them. Is he doing transfers this season, or is it the commitee. Would say transfers look better this year with the likes of Clyne and Ings proving already (Milner has been hit and miss but will prove to be a good transfer) looking good.

I'm sceptical but open to being proved wrong about him in the future, but the signs aren't great from the performances this season so far. I'm not counting United away, as I am in the camp where I think the tactics were right, but the likes of Coutinho was sorely missed in that game as there was nothing offensively unfortunately that was offered until United scored, where I think the reply was good. Either way, that's not an example of a bad performance, but not a great one either.

So all you've said is recruitment. Where it's well documented that Rodgers did not have control of his transfers and the only reason why he still has a job is because the owners admit that the committee were culpable for transfers, and not Rodgers.

Aside from that some vague references to two poor performances and suggesting that we're not strong mentally (both of which I addressed and noted that they're not plus points but they're forgiveable given the age of our squad).

Like I say, people want to take a lot of shots at Rodgers but at the end of the day very few of those shots are valid. I'm more than happy for him to be fired but people focus on the wrong points.
Original post by jam277
Would say your best striker coming back and along with Coutinho being fully fit and hopefully Firmino settling into the league will mean that Liverpool will have a potent attacking force.

Really key.

There's no sign that he will settle, unfortunately, but any assimilation to the PL that he undertakes can only be good for us.

Benteke is a completely different option to Sturridge, of course, and a really effective one if we realise how to play with him and stop firing balls into his head from deep. I was watching him become increasingly frustrated at Old Trafford, and then in the first-half against Norwich, with balls being fired at ha great height to him.

At one stage, he even pointed at his chest as if to say that if players wanted him to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, they need to target him there.
So all you've said is recruitment. Where it's well documented that Rodgers did not have control of his transfers and the only reason why he still has a job is because the owners admit that the committee were culpable for transfers, and not Rodgers.

Aside from that some vague references to two poor performances and suggesting that we're not strong mentally (both of which I addressed and noted that they're not plus points but they're forgiveable given the age of our squad).

Like I say, people want to take a lot of shots at Rodgers but at the end of the day very few of those shots are valid. I'm more than happy for him to be fired but people focus on the wrong points.

Performances too; 6-1 Stoke, 3-0 at home to West Ham, 1-1 Norwich and 1-1 Carlisle is unaceptable. Very bad form since United loss last season. Manager is culpable for setting up a team in such a way.
Reply 476
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3252360/Liverpool-goalkeeper-Lawrence-Vigouroux-Swindon-loan-spell-cut-short-paying-50-fine-pennies.html

Liverpool goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux has Swindon loan spell cut short after paying £50 fine in pennies

- Lawrence Vigouroux joined Swindon on season-long loan deal in August
- The 21-year-old has been sent back to his parent side Liverpool
- Vigouroux incurred a £50 fine for turning up to training late
- The goalkeeper irked Swindon by paying his £50 fine in pennies

Idiot..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3252360/Liverpool-goalkeeper-Lawrence-Vigouroux-Swindon-loan-spell-cut-short-paying-50-fine-pennies.html

Liverpool goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux has Swindon loan spell cut short after paying £50 fine in pennies

Idiot..

:lol:

The vast majority of shots are valid.

At the end of the day Rodgers is the manager and with that an employee of the club. If he didn't wish to work with a transfer committee at the club then he should have resigned, as many other managers have done so before him. Instead he continued on and was more than happy to work under a transfer committee. That was his own decision and I don't for one moment buy the argument that he isn't culpable because he is. If we had won the league when we finished second, do you think the transfer committee would have been getting the plaudits from the fan base and wider footballing world? No, the owners (minimal), Rodgers and the team would have been getting them all. Rodgers is also culpable and game for criticism when things don't go well and that's exactly what he's getting.

The owners at the time may have admitted that the transfer committee was culpable but again, to me and many others, that was just a final warning to Rodgers to sort things out otherwise he'll be gone. If he didn't want to work under a transfer committee then he should have resigned and parted ways with the club mutually. Rodgers is the manager of a club and if he has any self respect for himself as a professional working in football then he'd not allow himself to be undermined in the way that he has been.

Finally, there are plenty of other shots that are valid.

1. Lack of discipline in the squad is apparent
2. His persistence to play his system even when it's not working shows stubbornness
3. Poor performances where the team has capitulated has left us embarrassed
4. Certain players just don't look up to playing for him and seem to lack any fight
5. He lacks obvious man management skills which are vital to succeed at the top level

With all that said it's obvious that he needs to go.

Idiot..

He's literally put his career on hold for banter :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest