The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JHart1865
What we see as slow, they see as thorough! :biggrin:

And don't we just know it....
Has anyone on the direct appointment scheme had any luck requesting relocation expenses or anything? My job requires extra security clearances and I'm eating into my last part of my overdraft waiting to start (had to turn down other job for this and wasn't told it would take this long, took 5 x emails to get a response from my department). Now it seems to be taking even longer. I've been temping but that isn't enough.
Original post by Billydodger
Has anyone on the direct appointment scheme had any luck requesting relocation expenses or anything? My job requires extra security clearances and I'm eating into my last part of my overdraft waiting to start (had to turn down other job for this and wasn't told it would take this long, took 5 x emails to get a response from my department). Now it seems to be taking even longer. I've been temping but that isn't enough.

I mean, I don't know, but I doubt it. Are you getting JSA?
Original post by robboadam31
I mean, I don't know, but I doubt it. Are you getting JSA?

No, I didn't know that I'd be eligible?
Has anyone received an indication of start date yet?
Reply 3465
I have been told the 2nd of November for myself, I asked when I accepted the offer so I'm sure u can email them and they will give you a date :smile:
Original post by A3561
I have been told the 2nd of November for myself, I asked when I accepted the offer so I'm sure u can email them and they will give you a date :smile:

Thanks, have dropped them an email.
No, I didn't know that I'd be eligible?

Yeah, if you're not working 16 hours a week and actively looking for work (which technically you are), I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get it. I got it when I came straight out of Uni.

What department have you been matched to?
Original post by ri12345

MoD
Original post by ri12345

yourself?
yourself?

Congrats :smile:. I've been told possibly the National Crime Agency but it's not confirmed.
Original post by TritonSails
I imagine most of us are also applying for other grad schemes which also require you to take certain tests, so it's definitely not a waste to prepare for them. I feel like we may as well give it as much effort as we can: doing it half-heartedly is kind of a waste of time. We're not all as staggeringly brilliant as you.

hey man when you say prepare what do you mean exactly? im looking to apply and was taken off guard a bit, can you give me some advice please? thanks
Gotta say, they were impressively quick with returning my degree certificate and chasing up references.

Hopefully I'll be matched to something suitable soon. DoH would be pretty cool.
Hi everyone, I've finally received my contract and a starting date! In case it helps anyone here is a breakdown of the process I went through:

17th July - First received email from parity
30th July - received email asking for documents/references
17th August - was told i'd been allocated a department
21st August - received email telling me the department would contact me on 24th
24th August - hr called and asked about the positions I'd be interested in and a starting date
28th August - received an email telling me I'd been allocated a position
11th September - received another email from hr asking me to fill out pension forms etc plus a link to the induction website
24th September - received (FINALLY) my contract stating my starting date as 12th October.

Looking back this has been a ridiculously long period, and I've just written the times they contacted me, not the numerous emails and phone calls I sent them trying to get them to speed the process up! They did however occasionally apologise for the delay in responding to me.

Hope this helps anyone still waiting, and fingers crossed it works out for you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nicola1806
Hi everyone, I've finally received my contract and a starting date! In case it helps anyone here is a breakdown of the process I went through:

24th August - hr called and asked about the positions I'd be interested in and a starting date
11th September - received another email from hr asking me to fill out pension forms etc plus a link to the induction website
24th September - received (FINALLY) my contract stating my starting date as 12th October.

Looking back this has been a ridiculously long period, and I've just written the times they contacted me, not the numerous emails and phone calls I sent them trying to get them to speed the process up! They did however occasionally apologise for the delay in responding to me.

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for this the time lines are so ridiculous especially if you're not working. I had to turn down a job to take this one (the job's contract was 4 years so not like I could just quit). What department were you allocated? Can't help but feel this process unintentionally is biased against those who don't have the means to wait months for news about whether they have a job or not. A lot of the applicants here will have just finished University and whilst most University graduates have came from better off socio-economic groups this isn't always the case and I'd imagine a lo would be put off by the almost indefinite wait.
Hi Nicola,

Thanks for this the time lines are so ridiculous especially if you're not working. I had to turn down a job to take this one (the job's contract was 4 years so not like I could just quit). What department were you allocated? Can't help but feel this process unintentionally is biased against those who don't have the means to wait months for news about whether they have a job or not. A lot of the applicants here will have just finished University and whilst most University graduates have came from better off socio-economic groups this isn't always the case and I'd imagine a lo would be put off by the almost indefinite wait.

I completely agree, I have just graduated and quit my job in my uni town to move back in with my parents to save some money. Like you I also turned down a job to continue with this process and I have definitely been frustrated with how long it has taken, and would probably have gone down a different road if I'd known it was going to take this long!

I was allocated to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, based in London. Relocating from Glasgow is going to be another huge expense for me too unfortunately. I can only hope it will be worth it though!
Original post by nicola1806

When you got your start date, had you already accepted an offer? I have to give a weeks notice in my current job, and the department have given me a 12th October start date, but they still haven't given me a formal confirmation that I have the job yet. I've already handed my notice in as I wanted to have a one week break before starting.
Are there any specific resources for learning the Maths for the Generalist stream? I'm afraid I'm rather poor at Maths.

I know...I know...I've started late...
Original post by Faketalented
Are there any specific resources for learning the Maths for the Generalist stream? I'm afraid I'm rather poor at Maths.

I know...I know...I've started late...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3396099

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending