Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Degree- Maths with Economics
GCSE grades- 4A* 4A 4B
Grades this year: A*AA in A2 maths, Physics, History
Predicted-A*(achieved)A*A*A* in Maths, Further maths, Physics, History

Do you think I will have a chance with my GCSE's? And how much economics are you guys putting into your PS?
Reply 3
Original post by coolguy123456
GCSE's aren't too bad. Put in about 30% econ into mine. They will be sceptical at that A* prediction in Further as you are doing it over one year (i assume?) and they will also look at your maths UMS so whether it was an A* by getting 550 UMS (for example) or by getting 600 UMS.

Yeah, I got 100 UMS in c3 and c4 hence my A* prediction, and the UMS will be going into my reference, so should *hopefully* persuade them. think my A* was 96% average across all modules. I am indeed doing Further in one year, as that is what my college offered.
To your (or anyones) understanding, do they look at schools attended and how your grades differentiate from the standard student at said school?

Btw, good luck and hope you get an offer.
Original post by IMZL
Yeah, I got 100 UMS in c3 and c4 hence my A* prediction, and the UMS will be going into my reference, so should *hopefully* persuade them. think my A* was 96% average across all modules. I am indeed doing Further in one year, as that is what my college offered.
To your (or anyones) understanding, do they look at schools attended and how your grades differentiate from the standard student at said school?

Btw, good luck and hope you get an offer.

UMS will be asked by LSE through a questionnaire after you apply and I'm not sure of your question regarding schools attended.
Reply 5
Original post by IMZL
Degree- Maths with Economics
GCSE grades- 4A* 4A 4B
Grades this year: A*AA in A2 maths, Physics, History
Predicted-A*(achieved)A*A*A* in Maths, Further maths, Physics, History

Do you think I will have a chance with my GCSE's? And how much economics are you guys putting into your PS?

Your predictions are good, and so are your maths ums! Speaking to an admissions tutor I know the maths dept at LSE loves the a* in further maths. (yay to both of us) :smile:

Also doing whole maths in one year is great because they know you have a guaranteed A* already. You are in a strong position.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Foxab77
Your predictions are good, and so are your maths ums! Speaking to an admissions tutor I know the maths dept at LSE loves the a* in further maths. (yay to both of us) :smile:

Also doing whole maths in one year is great because they know you have a guaranteed A* already. You are in a strong position.

Thanks! Hope we both get offers😊. How tough did you find FM to get an A* in, compared to standard A2, btw?
Reply 7
Hi I know LSE is a tough ask but just wondered whether it's worth me applying
GCSE: 11A* 1A
AS: AAAA (maths economics spanish English)
A2 predictions is where it gets tricky. Obviously economics needs A* maths AA. But my maths teachers are reluctant to predict me A* (I got UMS 251) and it's still to be decided. I'm doing an AS in further maths in my own time. Will that lower the A* requirement. Thanks for any feedback
Reply 8
Original post by ryan1598
A2 predictions is where it gets tricky. Obviously economics needs A* maths AA. But my maths teachers are reluctant to predict me A* (I got UMS 251) and it's still to be decided. I'm doing an AS in further maths in my own time. Will that lower the A* requirement. Thanks for any feedback

No a* for maths?
Reply 9
Original post by ryan1598

They would prefer an A* prediction in Maths than in Economics
Reply 10
hello im wondering whether to apply with
GCSE 1a* 7As 2Bs A in add maths
As level- AAAA maths econ bio and chem
Prediciton A*AA maths chem econ

i dont do further maths so will that be a problem? thanks
Reply 11
I've applied for maths and Economics

GCSEs: 7A* 3As
AS: 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics
A2 predictions: 3A*s in maths FM and econ
My main worry is maths UMS with 94.6% average, what do you think? Do they ask for other UMS too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by dampoo

My main worry is maths UMS with 94.6% average, what do you think? Do they ask for other UMS too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, even though I am not at all qualified to give an answer, in my opinion as long as your PS is good you are in a strong position. 94.6% average is a very fine score, along with the subjects you are taking being a perfect combination. I'm pretty sure they don't ask for any other UMS..
Reply 13
Original post by IMZL
To be honest, even though I am not at all qualified to give an answer, in my opinion as long as your PS is good you are in a strong position. 94.6% average is a very fine score, along with the subjects you are taking being a perfect combination. I'm pretty sure they don't ask for any other UMS..

Thanks! Do you know if they ask for individual module UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dampoo
Thanks! Do you know if they ask for individual module UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
Yes they do, maths and further maths module marks and then the average for your other subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Thanks. Which other unis/courses have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Warwick - MMORSE
ucl - Maths with Econ msci
Bath - Econ and maths with year in industry
Edinburgh - Econ and maths

-A

Nice, what's your profile like/any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dampoo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow we have such similar grades haha. Hope to see you at LSE :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Foxab77
Wow we have such similar grades haha. Hope to see you at LSE :smile:

Haha all the best!

My profile? Application was only sent 2 days ago.
-A

GCSEs, AS, A2 predictions etc
Hey guys I'm currently attending a university, but I always have aspired to become an LSE undergraduate student my grades are as follows:

GCSE: AAABBBBB
AS Levels: BCCCD (through extenuating circumstances)
A Levels: A*A*A (these have already been achieved) in Maths, Chemistry and Further maths respectively and only retook 3 exams

I'm applying to both Maths with/and Economics and also statistics for finance

I already have a 2 month internship at a FTSE 100 investment bank

I haven't always been academically consistent, but I have later found my stride with academic studies, do you think I would be potentially at a disadvantage to other applicants because of my GCSE grades :frown: ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending