The Student Room Group

Self studying A Levels?

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. I am currently at 6th form in my first year studying biology, chemistry, physics and psychology. Although these are now according to the new specification, you can still do an AS in them... it's just that it will not count towards the A2 grade.

I just want to know from someone who is familiar with all the exam boards or then has knowledge about these subjects... which is the best exam board for each subject?

Also, is it possible to self study these A levels at home?

Currently at sixth form, these are the exam boards that are used for the subjects:

Biology is AQA

Chemistry is OCR A

Physics is Edexcel

Psychology is OCR.

It would be really helpful if anyone can give advice.

Thank you.
Psychology, yes, you'd probably be able to self-study, so long as you can organise coursework to be marked externally.

The others, no. They will require compulsory lab-time.
It is notorious that OCR is harder than other boards - so maybe go for Edexcel (more resources) or AQA (easier). It is possible to self study all of these, I myself am studying a level maths, f maths, physics and chemistry. All you need to worry about is the practicals for your science subjects, where you just need to set that up with your exams at an extra cost. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Ash Kay
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. I am currently at 6th form in my first year studying biology, chemistry, physics and psychology. Although these are now according to the new specification, you can still do an AS in them... it's just that it will not count towards the A2 grade.

I just want to know from someone who is familiar with all the exam boards or then has knowledge about these subjects... which is the best exam board for each subject?

Also, is it possible to self study these A levels at home?

Currently at sixth form, these are the exam boards that are used for the subjects:

Biology is AQA

Chemistry is OCR A

Physics is Edexcel

Psychology is OCR.

It would be really helpful if anyone can give advice.

Thank you.

PHYSICS

EDEXCEL?

ARE YOU MADDDDDDDDDDDDD

Do AQA for the sciences

by FAAAARRR the best/ easiest board

dunno bout psychology
Reply 4
Original post by z33
PHYSICS

EDEXCEL?

ARE YOU MADDDDDDDDDDDDD

Do AQA for the sciences

by FAAAARRR the best/ easiest board

dunno bout psychology

My sixth form does edexcel physics. I'm still considering home studying them but then I'm put off by the fact that I can't do practicals at home
Reply 5
Original post by Ash Kay
My sixth form does edexcel physics. I'm still considering home studying them but then I'm put off by the fact that I can't do practicals at home

maybe your 6th form would be nice enough to let you use their equipment and do a practical like once a week if you clean up after yourself?
i wouldn't recommend self studying physics, though biology and chemistry wouldn't be impossibly difficult to self study- especially if the board is AQA

physics edexcel is hard yes, but i think it's worth having a teacher/tutor unless you can afford to go to tuition for it then you can go ahead and self study+ tuition but for physics and maths i feel like you NEED a good teacher to make it work
Reply 6
Original post by z33
maybe your 6th form would be nice enough to let you use their equipment and do a practical like once a week if you clean up after yourself?
i wouldn't recommend self studying physics, though biology and chemistry wouldn't be impossibly difficult to self study- especially if the board is AQA

physics edexcel is hard yes, but i think it's worth having a teacher/tutor unless you can afford to go to tuition for it then you can go ahead and self study+ tuition but for physics and maths i feel like you NEED a good teacher to make it work

Yeah I was planning on having a tutor and I doubt my sixth form will let me do that. Thanks a lot for the advice!! I now know it is not impossible to do a levels from home. Practicals are not part of the a level course anymore, however there is a separate qualification for them and you get pass or fail in that
Reply 7
Original post by Ash Kay
Yeah I was planning on having a tutor and I doubt my sixth form will let me do that. Thanks a lot for the advice!! I now know it is not impossible to do a levels from home. Practicals are not part of the a level course anymore, however there is a separate qualification for them and you get pass or fail in that

no problem :biggrin:

and oh really? well that kinda sucks cos you can't really see the theory come to reality. I feel like practicals tie all your knowledge together, you can kinda see it come to life. I know for the courses i did (OCR B chem, OCR A bio and OCR A phys, though i'm sure it applies to all examboards) you could get asked to describe experiments in the exams, or they give you a diagram of some apparatus and ask you how you would set it up to carry out an experiment of some sort. I don't know, if that's taken out of your course then lucky you! I hated those questions.

Also, ask your 6th form! Maybe they'd let you if you offered to do something in exchange... like tutor year 9s on a saturday morning or do dinner duty or something? You've got nothing to lose, the worst they can do is say no so...

as for the theory, just go through the specification and make points according to the spec. Buy multiple books, like from 1990s etc (for your examboard) and use them for reference - come in useful ESPECIALLY for biology where different books give different levels of detail. But i think they're useful for physics and chemistry too. Past papers are the only way to do well in physics, and in all your subjects really.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest