The Student Room Group

EU Freedom of Movement: errrrr what happens if.........?

the UK receives lots of criminals, or useless, low-skilled immigrants who are not beneficial, cost us money and yet we are forced to accept them. Isn't that a bit...... stupid?

Wouldn't it be much better if we could apply our non-EU immigration policy to EU immigrants? ie only admit the worthwhile ones?

(This clearly isn't rocket science.....)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Our country isn't run on sense, just blood money and corruption
Original post by billydisco
the UK receives lots of criminals, or useless, low-skilled immigrants who are not beneficial, cost us money and yet we are forced to accept them. Isn't that a bit...... stupid?

Wouldn't it be much better if we could apply our non-EU immigration policy to EU immigrants? ie only admit the worthwhile ones?

Welcome to the UKIP immigration stance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
The job center offers excellent training courses and apprenticeships.

I know because I keep getting offers to learn how to do manual labour/cook/be a builder... when I've graduated with a medical biology degree!
Reply 4
Or we could apply an EU non-EU immigration policy, thus keeping free movement to Europeans and not the third world.
Original post by Rakas21
Or we could apply an EU non-EU immigration policy, thus keeping free movement to Europeans and not the third world.

This is the problem we have though

look at the current situation in Germany one the new immigrants get citizenship the EU freedom of movement rules then apply so all an immigrant has to do is get citizenship in ANY EU country and they are home free as they say

and yes this has happened before

How many criminals and ''useless'' immigrants from the EU travel to this country every, say, year?
Reply 7
Original post by BaconandSauce
This is the problem we have though

look at the current situation in Germany one the new immigrants get citizenship the EU freedom of movement rules then apply so all an immigrant has to do is get citizenship in ANY EU country and they are home free as they say

and yes this has happened before

Exactly and that's horrid. I believe in Europe for the Europeans when it comes to free movement.

But we could create a single border policy of sorts for all EU nations. That would mean that a points system for example would be the same in all states. That would keep out Africans without stopping Canadians.

Note that I may actually vote out, I just don't want to curtail immigration of the right sort significantly. I have no issue with Poles, I consider Muslim spouses from Pakistan a far bigger issue.
Original post by Rakas21
Exactly and that's horrid. I believe in Europe for the Europeans when it comes to free movement.

But we could create a single border policy of sorts for all EU nations. That would mean that a points system for example would be the same in all states. That would keep out Africans without stopping Canadians.

Note that I may actually vote out, I just don't want to curtail immigration of the right sort significantly. I have no issue with Poles, I consider Muslim spouses from Pakistan a far bigger issue.

I believe only by leaving the EU and implementing a points system is the only way we are going the get a grip on the current wave of immigration and we need ot revers the current numbers which should be very easy really 'been here 2 years not got a job bye then' and then a removal of all state support

But yes you last point is very valid
Original post by SHallowvale
How many criminals and ''useless'' immigrants from the EU travel to this country every, say, year?

It isn't about them being useless it's is about people coming to our country being what we need and not just a general unskilled worker we have enough of those to fill the roles they do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
It isn't about them being useless it's is about people coming to our country being what we need and not just a general unskilled worker we have enough of those to fill the roles they do

It kinda is about them being useless (and/or criminals) since that is the subject of the OP.
Original post by Rakas21

Why do you oppose all African and Muslim immigration?
Reply 12

What happens if all of the UK's criminals, low-skilled workers or whatever decide suddenly to move to Cardiff or something? Same issue.
Why do you oppose all African and Muslim immigration?

Because i don't see the need for diversity when there are no shortage of ethnically and culturally similar immigrants (EU+Anglosphere+developed Asia comes to about a billion people).

Immigrants from the developed Anglosphere are white, christian/atheist, disproportionately skilled and disproportionately commit a lower level of violent crime once guns are taken out (since their illegal here).
Immigrants from developed Asia are the same bar non-white.

Bar about 5 countries, Muslims are the opposite of all and Africans only beat them on the christian front.

Since i don't mind numbers, i'd broadly be happy to have free movement with just about any nation with a GDP per capita above $30-40k.

*Free movement lite i should say. We should have proof of secondary education, proof of no criminal record and to stop the poorest coming, require a payment of say £10k. That would give us 400-500 thousand immigrants a year and a net immigration rate around 200,000.
Original post by Rakas21
Because i don't see the need for diversity when there are no shortage of ethnically and culturally similar immigrants (EU+Anglosphere+developed Asia comes to about a billion people).

I never said that we needed diversity.

Original post by Rakas21
*Free movement lite i should say. We should have proof of secondary education, proof of no criminal record and to stop the poorest coming, require a payment of say £10k. That would give us 400-500 thousand immigrants a year and a net immigration rate around 200,000.

Aside from the fact what you're describing isn't free movement of any kind, why are you still excluding people from African and Muslims? There are people in Africa and the Muslim world who have a secondary education, no criminal record and are wealthy enough to pay £10k. If you wanted an immigration system based these factors then it would be open to anyone regardless of their origin.

If you're only happy with free movement with countries with a GDP per capita above $30-40k then why do you support free movement in the EU? Many EU countries do not have a GDP per capita above even $30k, such as Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Latvia, etc.
I never said that we needed diversity.

Aside from the fact what you're describing isn't free movement of any kind, why are you still excluding people from African and Muslims? There are people in Africa and the Muslim world who have a secondary education, no criminal record and are wealthy enough to pay £10k. If you wanted an immigration system based these factors then it would be open to anyone regardless of their origin.

If you're only happy with free movement with countries with a GDP per capita above $30-40k then why do you support free movement in the EU? Many EU countries do not have a GDP per capita above even $30k, such as Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Latvia, etc.

True, however it's generally the excuse from politicians when asked we need somebody from Pakistan rather than the USA.

It's extremely liberal as a policy by current global standards. Not really when you consider ethnic and cultural considerations. The rich from the developing world can already get citizenship anyway. Remember that when it comes to EU nations, about 300 million people come from countries fitting my bill.

I would use our right to veto the entry of new member states however i can put with those already in. Not optimal but not worth arguing over since they'd eventually gain the right anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by L i b
What happens if all of the UK's criminals, low-skilled workers or whatever decide suddenly to move to Cardiff or something? Same issue.

The police would re-divert resources to Cardiff.......

Are European countries going to pay us increased policing costs?

So no, its not the same issue. One is a matter of redistributing EXISTING resources and the other is about requiring new resources due to European immigrants....
UKIP - only party with common sense immigration policies

Join UKIP today
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21

Why do I want to keep free movement to Europeans? I don't care if they're European or non-European, I care about whether they are useful to this country!
Reply 19

How many of the 2 million immigrants since 2000 earn over £40k or work in the NHS?

I don't think Costa Coffee or the Strawberry farmers pay that well....

Quick Reply

Latest