The Student Room Group

event management degrees

Hi guys, do you guys think that event managementdegrees are waste of time globally, will it be used? I would love to hear different perspectives on this topic.
Yeah I think they're a waste of time as you could just learn all that stuff on the job. I'm sure some event management companies value the degree though.
If it includes a placement, it is better than other arts/humanities/social science degrees which doesnt include a placement. Otherwise, no it isnt a good degree
Reply 3
Original post by driftawaay
If it includes a placement, it is better than other arts/humanities/social science degrees which doesnt include a placement. Otherwise, no it isnt a good degree

hi driftaway,

so you said apart from a placement it is not a good degree can you elaborate please in terms of why its not a good degree
Original post by rukshana95
Hi dirftaway,

so you said if you don't get placement it wont be a good degree can you elaborate please

Its not an academic degree and doesnt give you any specific skills either. Event management is a field where you dont even need a degree, so if you are going to do a degree, do it cause of the placement opportunity. Any degree with work experience is worthwile. Gloucestershire uni is great for event management and they have a one year placement. I would say courses like that are definitely valuable. Event management is all about work experience, not qualifications.
Reply 5
Original post by driftawaay
Its not an academic degree and doesnt give you any specific skills either. Event management is a field where you dont even need a degree, so if you are going to do a degree, do it cause of the placement opportunity. Any degree with work experience is worthwile. Gloucestershire uni is great for event management and they have a one year placement. I would say courses like that are definitely valuable. Event management is all about work experience, not qualifications.

Thank you for taking your time to comment
Hi guys, do you guys think that event managementdegrees are waste of time globally, will it be used? I would love to hear different perspectives on this topic.

Yes a complete waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Waste of time and money.

driftawaay has hit the nail on the head.

Remember also that most event managers are not managing the Rolling Stones next farewell tour but rather the annual awards dinner of the Extruded Pipe Manufacturers Association.
Reply 9
Hi nulli tertius
Sorry can you explain what you mean when you say managing the rolling stone next farewell tour
Hi nulli tertius
Sorry can you explain what you mean when you say managing the rolling stone next farewell tour

The Rolling Stones are a rock group.

They have for at least the last 30 years put on very elaborate stadium shows which therefore require a very high level of backstage management. There is considerable kudos to be gained by managing one of their tour shows.

The members of the Rolling Stones are now elderly and have always been strongly motivated by money. For at least 20 years they have been staging farewell tours but having completed one farewell tour, they are always tempted back by the amount of money to be made on the next farewell tour
Reply 11
Original post by nulli tertius
The Rolling Stones are a rock group.

They have for at least the last 30 years put on very elaborate stadium shows which therefore require a very high level of backstage management. There is considerable kudos to be gained by managing one of their tour shows.

The members of the Rolling Stones are now elderly and have always been strongly motivated by money. For at least 20 years they have been staging farewell tours but having completed one farewell tour, they are always tempted back by the amount of money to be made on the next farewell tour

Hi

Thank you for comment it is very valid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending