The Student Room Group

Romanian GCSE equivalent

Hello, I am Algren, I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 Games Development. I moved in to UK on the 5th of September 2014, so last year. In Romania we have the National Evaluation Exams which is an equivalent to GCSE's. Last year, I was in BTEC Level 2 Games Development and I studied Functional Skills Maths and English because no one wanted to check my results(10/10 in maths and 8.1/10 in romanian). But this year I have told one of my teachers about them and I showed them to him. He took a photo copy of them and said that I wouldn't have to do english or maths GCSE's anymore. Now I am wondering, I do have a Romanian Exam for maths (in which I got 10/10), but I don't have any paper for maths, just that I had only 10s in the highscool in Romania and some olympic results. Can I be accepted to Uni with these ? Thank you very much, if you need any more details, just ask
Reply 1
Original post by algren123
Hello, I am Algren, I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 Games Development. I moved in to UK on the 5th of September 2014, so last year. In Romania we have the National Evaluation Exams which is an equivalent to GCSE's. Last year, I was in BTEC Level 2 Games Development and I studied Functional Skills Maths and English because no one wanted to check my results(10/10 in maths and 8.1/10 in romanian). But this year I have told one of my teachers about them and I showed them to him. He took a photo copy of them and said that I wouldn't have to do english or maths GCSE's anymore. Now I am wondering, I do have a Romanian Exam for maths (in which I got 10/10), but I don't have any paper for maths, just that I had only 10s in the highscool in Romania and some olympic results. Can I be accepted to Uni with these ? Thank you very much, if you need any more details, just ask

Buna seara Algren,
British universities can be very badly run, some of them have really useless people working in their admin departments, and there's the possibility that they may tell you one thing, and then change their mind to your disadvantage later. I'd write (a letter) to the Admissions offices of the universities you're interested in and ask them to confirm explicitly in writing whether they will or won't accept your qualifications at equal value to GCSEs, and what their admission requirements are. By olympic results, do you mean you competed at Olympiads? That would be considered impressive. In a bookshop, find the latest UCAS handbook, and read what that says. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by T.L
Buna seara Algren,
British universities can be very badly run, some of them have really useless people working in their admin departments, and there's the possibility that they may tell you one thing, and then change their mind to your disadvantage later. I'd write (a letter) to the Admissions offices of the universities you're interested in and ask them to confirm explicitly in writing whether they will or won't accept your qualifications at equal value to GCSEs, and what their admission requirements are. By olympic results, do you mean you competed at Olympiads? That would be considered impressive. In a bookshop, find the latest UCAS handbook, and read what that says. Good luck.

Yes, English Olympiads, I will e-mail them or call them to ask for more information. I guess they could accept my Maths Exam, but im not sure about the english one, because I dont have any exam, and dont think it counts, but I will make sure, I will e-mail some universities. Thank you ! If anyone knows more information about this, please post. :smile:
Reply 3
Yes, English Olympiads, I will e-mail them or call them to ask for more information. I guess they could accept my Maths Exam, but im not sure about the english one, because I dont have any exam, and dont think it counts, but I will make sure, I will e-mail some universities. Thank you ! If anyone knows more information about this, please post. :smile:

My wife got accepted on Romanian baccalaureat exam results, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as you have.
Reply 4
Original post by T.L
My wife got accepted on Romanian baccalaureat exam results, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as you have.

I'm afraid not :frown:
Reply 5
I'm afraid not :frown:

Fingers crossed then. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by T.L
Fingers crossed then. Good luck!

Thank you very much !
Reply 7
I would be very intrested if they really accepted your exams. I'm from Romania too and I've got the same exams done there and they don't want to recognise them. I hope someone will see this comment.
Same here...I took that exam 4 years ago..and they don't want to recognize it because it was taken 4 years ago....
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
You have to send your documents to NARIC and they will send you back the equivalent for UK. The service is £60 fees but it is worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest