The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester United
We have the loudest away fans too

GOAT fans in England

Original post by Manchester United
I remember when we had Moyes and was getting thumped by Liverpool at OT. All I hear is 20 times! 20 times! for 20 minutes straight.

Best atmosphere in England, it's not even close

Do you actually attend matches? You sound like someone relaying myths you've heard other people talking about.

Best in England is like being the tallest dwarf in all honesty but it's Palace as far as the Prem goes.

Original post by sevchenko
Literally every supporter thinks their team has the best away support in the country

This is right for the most part actually. Not all, but most.

A quick look on FullTimeDevils will show you the sort of people who attend MU games and none of them look like they make any noise in the ground. MU used to be good, they haven't in years now as their support become more and more gentrified. I reckon anyone who goes to their aways would agree with me here as well. They were **** in the 1-1 at VP last year and **** again this year.

I actually thought Arsenal were better when they beat us 2-1 the other year. The only time MU have came to Villa Park and sounded loud was in a cup game in 2008 where we lost 2-0, but you get massive allocations for those so incomparable tbh.

Original post by sr90
Except most rival fans agree United have the best away support. It's hard to argue otherwise tbg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all. This might have been true ten years back, it isn't any more.
Original post by sevchenko
Wouldn't mind Europa League at all.

Shut up
(edited 8 years ago)
Small club mentality saying you don't mind Europa League. Arsenal's squad is more than good enough to do well in the CL, they're far stronger than Olympiakos and Dinamo Zagreb. The manager is very steady, and knows domestically how to be consistent, but not be a title winner. It's a loser's mentality whatever way you look at it. Like most people here think, it seems obvious Wenger should take a back seat role, because he isn't taking the club forwards. Remains to be seen when that will or could happen, but Arsenal's underperformance in Europe is simply frustrating for British football fans.
Going to be tough to qualify out of the group with Bayern Munich looking so ominous. Lewendoski has scored 10 goals in 3 games.

Can you really beat them twice? Or would one win be sufficient if you beat the other 2 teams in the reverse fixtures?
Original post by Zerforax
Going to be tough to qualify out of the group with Bayern Munich looking so ominous. Lewendoski has scored 10 goals in 3 games.

Can you really beat them twice? Or would one win be sufficient if you beat the other 2 teams in the reverse fixtures?

Bayern have 6, Olympiacos/Zagreb have 3 and Arsenal have 0. Let's work under the assumption that Bayern will beat everybody in their remaining games (not a certainty but not unlikely).

If Olympiacos for instance beat Zagreb twice they'd be on 9pts with a game left.
In that case, Arsenal would need to beat both Olympiacos and Zagreb and somehow get a win from Bayern.
Ideally Olympiacos and Zagreb win a game each or draw, because if one of them steamrolls the other, Arsenal are in big trouble.

But yes like you said, as far as I can see, one win from Bayern plus a victory from Olympiacos and Zagreb would be enough for Arsenal provided their H2H record is better and their competitors get nothing from Bayern.

Lol I actually contributed to football discussion in the Arsenal thread...
(edited 8 years ago)
Should Olympiakos beat Dinamo Zagreb twice (or vice-versa), Arsenal's hopes of CL progress would be over regardless of the performances v Bayern Munich
You would hope olympiakos and zagreb share wins with each other..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
You would hope olympiakos and zagreb share wins with each other..

Posted from TSR Mobile

or draw twice with each other
Original post by shawn_o1
Should Olympiakos beat Dinamo Zagreb twice (or vice-versa), Arsenal's hopes of CL progress would be over regardless of the performances v Bayern Munich

How would it?

If Arsenal get 3 wins and a loss (to Bayern) from their remaining games, they finish on 9 pts.
If Olympiacos beat Zagreb twice, they also finish on 9 pts.
It would go down to H2H.

In that scenario Arsenal would have to beat Bayern once, but hopes are certainly not "regardless of performances v Bayern".
or draw twice with each other

Even better!
Problem is that you still have to visit Olympiacos; that home loss was a major problem.
I can just see Arsenal pulling off something amazing v Bayern and then messing it all up by losing to Olympiacos.

That would be banter at the highest level.
should never hope for anything tbh, the fact that lesser teams are not afraid of our midfield and defence is very worrying indeed.
Entertaining the prospect of Europa League football is hardly small club mentality when Arsenal have never won a European competition. Successive defeats to the two weakest teams in the group we've botched the group stage already and if we did qualify we'd face the inevitable experience of going out at the last 16 again. When you don't really make an impact in the CL it's hard to turn your up nose at Europa league football, on what basis are people thinking entering the EL is small club mentality?

Best off going into the Europa league and trying to build some European pedigree. I'd like to think Wenger would take it seriously because it's a reasonably sized competition and he's never won a European trophy.
Thing is, if Bayern get the 6 points against us they will definitely go through, and therefore field weakened teams against Olympiakos and Dinamo Zagreb, giving them the opportunity to take points. We're facing an uphill task to avoid finishing bottom of our group unless we deny Bayern points.
Thing is, if Bayern get the 6 points against us they will definitely go through, and therefore field weakened teams against Olympiakos and Dinamo Zagreb, giving them the opportunity to take points. We're facing an uphill task to avoid finishing bottom of our group unless we deny Bayern points.

Bayern would play a weaker XI but it'd still be a Pep Guardiola team. The players he'd put out there would still have a winning mentality and in all likelihood play the other team off the park. You need a win over Bayern and/or hope that the same team in Dinamo/Olympiakos don't win both games when they play each other twice.
Reply 7875

True; with your games against them being right in the middle of the fixtures, you're kinda screwed.

Although i would note that even a weakened Bayern side is highly likely to destroy the other two teams in the group.
The issue you have is that i really don't think Wenger would take the EL seriously.
He's been in the CL, progressing in the the R16 every year for 16 years is it? I feel like he'd think the EL is below him and wouldn't risk hindering your league form.

Finishing bottom of your group may reduce your workload towards the second half of the season, but it would be embarrassing and bloody hilarious for a club of your level :tongue:
Not worried about two past-it wingers. Ribery hasn't even played this season iirc
I'm not against us going into the Europa League tbh.
Bilal Yusuf Mohammed is still a great player

Latest