The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, does anyone know which university consider graduates with a low ukcat - 650 average - on 5 year courses?

I've heard if you apply to a 4 year course in Kings they sometimes offer 5 year ones if it's a good applicant. Is this true?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LuceeeeeT
Does anyone know how much emphasis Newcastle puts on the personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't read it before interview, so very little.
Does anywhere actually use the situation judgment score?
Thinking of applying to some combination of Kings [v. likely], Newcastle, Southampton, Warwick, Queen Mary's [and Cambridge].
Warwick will depend on how I do in VR tomorrow afternoon....
Original post by labibaa123
Hi guys, does anyone know which university consider graduates with a low ukcat - 650 average - on 5 year courses?

I've heard if you apply to a 4 year course in Kings they sometimes offer 5 year ones if it's a good applicant. Is this true?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's only true post-interview :/ so you have to have a high enough UKCAT to get an interview on the 4 year, then if you just miss out, they'll offer you 5 year maybe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
That's only true post-interview :/ so you have to have a high enough UKCAT to get an interview on the 4 year, then if you just miss out, they'll offer you 5 year maybe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. And what about if you apply directly for the 5 year course? Would you still need a high ukcat then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2285
4 yr VS 5 yr fees-how much is it different really? sorry for the long post....

something I was thinking about is that if somehow, I could get together the money for a 5 year course....how much more would it actually cost me to do a 5yr course. Now I'm assuming anyone borrowing the 5 year money will be doing so from family so I will assume this is interest free

5 year....36K flat (if borrowed from family) + additional year for the 5 year course..... costs of being alive (rent, food etc etc at approx 10,000).

5year total 46K. (just in relation to costs vs a 4 yr course)

4 year....year one £3465 up front then loan £5535
year 2,3,4 £5535

So loaning £22,140 + getting £3465 together =£25605

Minus bursaries.....£1000 for year 2,3 and 4 each. Then a maximum of £2643 per year in years 2,3 and 4.
total max bursaries=£10,929.

4 year total = £25605-£10929 =£14,676. (assumed maximum bursaries given)

You would pay 1.5% a year on it...assuming it takes 7-10 years to pay off (just basing this on my career development loan for my MSc). Then you would end up paying £16286-17285 ish..

4 year total= 17 k

I've heard that many people work during the 5 year course and most cannot work during the 4 year course so this would have to play a factor.

Is it as simple as

(46K - Money earned with a job while on the 5 year course) VS 17,000 ish.

If so I guess the answer is if you can earn £29,000 over the duration of the 5 year course then its the same.

Can you earn £5800 a year as a student? If so seems the same.
Original post by gentleuk
HI Hana,
Thanks for the info. I'm heading for the bookshops today to get my hands on some revision materials. Have you applied or sat for any of the exams before?

Youre welcome, I sat the UKCAT this year and scored fairly well, I just used medify for 3 weeks before the exam a couple of hours each day as working full time. However the GAMSAT requires more revision if your science isnt fresh in your mind
Original post by HanaGEM
Youre welcome, I sat the UKCAT this year and scored fairly well, I just used medify for 3 weeks before the exam a couple of hours each day as working full time. However the GAMSAT requires more revision if your science isnt fresh in your mind

Hey, was the QR easier than on medify.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by labibaa123
Thank you for your reply. And what about if you apply directly for the 5 year course? Would you still need a high ukcat then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's lower (680?) but still a high score to get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa
Hey, was the QR easier than on medify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely!
Original post by HanaGEM
Definitely!

Thank you! You've made me so happy. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! You've made me so happy. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad i could help, math has always been my strongest area, medify really made me doubt myself but i got 850 on QR in the end, stay positive!
Original post by HanaGEM
Glad i could help, math has always been my strongest area, medify really made me doubt myself but i got 850 on QR in the end, stay positive!

Thank you. :smile:
Yes, maths has always been my strong suit too but medify got me so scared. I'm glad the real thing's easier. Did you attempt the official mocks/medify mocks/Kaplan mocks? How did you fare in the QR section? Which one was the most representative of the real thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lxh524
4 yr VS 5 yr fees-how much is it different really? sorry for the long post....

something I was thinking about is that if somehow, I could get together the money for a 5 year course....how much more would it actually cost me to do a 5yr course. Now I'm assuming anyone borrowing the 5 year money will be doing so from family so I will assume this is interest free

5 year....36K flat (if borrowed from family) + additional year for the 5 year course..... costs of being alive (rent, food etc etc at approx 10,000).

5year total 46K. (just in relation to costs vs a 4 yr course)

4 year....year one £3465 up front then loan £5535
year 2,3,4 £5535

So loaning £22,140 + getting £3465 together =£25605

Minus bursaries.....£1000 for year 2,3 and 4 each. Then a maximum of £2643 per year in years 2,3 and 4.
total max bursaries=£10,929.

4 year total = £25605-£10929 =£14,676. (assumed maximum bursaries given)

You would pay 1.5% a year on it...assuming it takes 7-10 years to pay off (just basing this on my career development loan for my MSc). Then you would end up paying £16286-17285 ish..

4 year total= 17 k

I've heard that many people work during the 5 year course and most cannot work during the 4 year course so this would have to play a factor.

Is it as simple as

(46K - Money earned with a job while on the 5 year course) VS 17,000 ish.

If so I guess the answer is if you can earn £29,000 over the duration of the 5 year course then its the same.

Can you earn £5800 a year as a student? If so seems the same.

The idea of paying off my student loan in 7-10 years... *laughing manically until I sob*

Also 2500 a year to live on? Are you planning on being homeless?

Correct figures:

4 year course:
student loans: fees - 22,140, living costs loan - 5740 (1st year) 6972 (rest of course). TOTAL: 34,852
upfront costs: TOTAL: 3,465

5 year course:
student loans: living costs loan - ~5000 a year (years 1-4), 1811 (year 5) TOTAL: ~22,000
upfront costs: fees - TOTAL: 36,000

Lets face it, all bursary payments go to living costs and so cannot be offset against the course cost. Makes a pretty big difference esp if you don't intend to pay the student loans above and beyond those already incurred during undergrad (i.e. paying it foreverrrrrr aka 25 years).
(edited 8 years ago)
Got 683. I've hated this test for years. I'm thinking of some 5 yr courses now. Which ones are people thinking? It's weird that some 5yr courses require gamsar for grads.
Surely it's beneficial if you're a graduate and willing to invest in another 5 years of education?
We should be tested against a level leavers and not against each other as that's what we are planning to pay to do.

Sorry for the slight anger :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. :smile:
Yes, maths has always been my strong suit too but medify got me so scared. I'm glad the real thing's easier. Did you attempt the official mocks/medify mocks/Kaplan mocks? How did you fare in the QR section? Which one was the most representative of the real thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did official and medify mocks and both were harder than the UKCAT, official mocks being closer.
I think I might have shot myself in the foot by doing the UKCAT Mock C the night before my actual exam!

My exam is tomorrow at midday.I just need to have some reassurance that the AR section, in particular for Mock C, isn't representative of the real thing! Those who have taken it this year - do you get more of the traditional previous-style questions? Although the mock wasn't overly hard, what I got in the end wasn't all that spectacular.
Reply 2297
Original post by J1mmy
I think I might have shot myself in the foot by doing the UKCAT Mock C the night before my actual exam!

My exam is tomorrow at midday.I just need to have some reassurance that the AR section, in particular for Mock C, isn't representative of the real thing! Those who have taken it this year - do you get more of the traditional previous-style questions? Although the mock wasn't overly hard, what I got in the end wasn't all that spectacular.

When I done my UKCAT at the beginning of September personally I got a lot of the newer style questions and only got a few true/false/can't tell questions but then again my sister who did hers got a lot less statement questions, so all just depends on your luck of what questions that come up but I found the actual test a lot easier than the official mocks, although DA which was one of my stronger sections I found a lot harder than from my practice. Good luck for the test tomorrow I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elzw
Hey guys, is anyone else thinking about applying to 3 graduate 4 year courses and an insurance 5 year course? I am trying to choose my UG atm, struggling! Maybe sheffield or newcastle or manchester or barts? Where are other people thinking? Do you think now barts are doing 50:50 there will be no point applying with a 2.1, when other people have firsts masters phd's etc?

If you can afford to do the 5 year courses I'd say pick more of those. They're less competitive and less demanding than the 4 year courses.

My parents can afford to help me with 5 year courses, but my Dad doesn't want to. If he did I would be all over 5 year courses like a rash. I'm only applying to them this year as 1) I haven't yet finished my MA which only gives me 2 GEM courses I can apply to anyway (as a desmond) 2) For some interview experience if I score well enough on GAMSAT 3) Because if I do get an offer I might be able to talk my Dad into paying for it knowing that I have been offered a place

But realistically most of my hopes are on 2017 where my MA will be completed and I'll be able to apply to 4 GEM courses instead of 2 and Notts will have a lower cutoff score for GAMSAT which hopefully I will hit with my result from September :3
Original post by HanaGEM

Thanks once again.
What were your choice of unis ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending