The Student Room Group

Christs or Clare College

I am really stuck between Christs and Clare College and cannot pick! What can help me identify which one I would prefer?
Original post by AnaLaurat
I am really stuck between Christs and Clare College and cannot pick! What can help me identify which one I would prefer?

Clare's got stronger boat club than Christ's ! :biggrin:

Joking aside, what's important for you in deciding a college?
Which course are you applying to, for example?
Reply 2

What made you choose those 2 as your shortlist?

And as vincrows said, which course are you doing? A key difference can be that colleges may have different admissions processes for the same course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by vincrows
Clare's got stronger boat club than Christ's ! :biggrin:

Joking aside, what's important for you in deciding a college?
Which course are you applying to, for example?

Haha! I am not much of a sports person to be honest, but will definitely support my college!

I am applying to medicine. The things I originally looked for were the academics, and a central location. On the Tompkins table, both were really close; and also both are quite central, although I know that Christs is the most. I think i also want a lots of green and open space, and nice, comfortable accommodation.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
What made you choose those 2 as your shortlist?

And as vincrows said, which course are you doing? A key difference can be that colleges may have different admissions processes for the same course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I am applying to medicine.

I read through the prospectus and their sites, and I was just drawn to them really. A friend of mine went to Clare, and she said she absolutely loved it- and I guess she had an influence on me. However they both turned out to be quite similar as I researched them as well.
I think Christs has the Oldest Swimming Pool in Europe.:biggrin:
So I am applying to medicine.

I read through the prospectus and their sites, and I was just drawn to them really. A friend of mine went to Clare, and she said she absolutely loved it- and I guess she had an influence on me. However they both turned out to be quite similar as I researched them as well.

Almost everyone absolutely loves their college! :biggrin:
I can honestly guarantee you will, too, whichever you choose. But if it makes any difference in your decision, Clare is in the river and has its own punts. :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Duke Glacia
I think Christs has the Oldest Swimming Pool in Europe.:biggrin:

Unheated.... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by vincrows
Almost everyone absolutely loves their college! :biggrin:
I can honestly guarantee you will, too, whichever you choose. But if it makes any difference in your decision, Clare is in the river and has its own punts. :wink:

I'm sure I will love whichever, just the thought of being at Cambridge itself excites me! I do love the riverside too..and Clare looks like such a beautiful place to stay at. It's choir is quite prominent too!I may have made up my mind.. :biggrin:

Just saw this ......LOL Its truly a beauty to swim in such a great place !
The case of the rival 17th century swimming pools! Yes, I’m blogging about swimming again, which for someone who is afraid of water seems a bit odd. It must be all the hot and sunny weather we’re having. But something caught my eye when I was reading the newspaper over the weekend and sent me off researching the gardens of Oxford and Cambridge colleges, a mysterious and secret world that is fascinating to explore.And so to Emmanuel College Cambridge which claims that it has (probably!) the oldest swimming bath in the country that is still in use. This glorious little pool was in use as early as 1690 or possibly even earlier. A changing hut in the classical style was built about 1745 and the present thatched hut dates from the mid-19th century. By 1745 a ‘plunge’ was regarded as good for headache, and ‘against the vapours and impotence’. In living memory the water in the pool was dark green with algae, so dark that a Fellow who liked to swim the whole length along the bottom complained that he lost his way. A line was painted to help him and known as Jones’s Line. That sort of water quality doesn’t sound very tempting and it’s good to hear that these days the water is purified and re-circulated.Emmanuel College’s pool has a rival, however. In the paper this weekend was an article about the refurbishment of the pool at Christ’s College. Archives there suggested that their Fellows’ Bathing Pool was dug from the alluvial soil in a corner of the college garden in the mid-17th century. It was known to be in use by 1688, pipping Emmanuel by two years. The design of Christ College’s bathing pool is classical with a perimeter decorated by busts of Christ’s scholars including the astronomer Ralph Cudworth, poet John Milton, mathematician Nicholas Saunderson and polymath Joseph Mede.Until its renovation earlier this year, Christ’s pool was fed by Hobson’s Conduit, a 400-year-old water course originally built to bring clean water into a disease ridden town. Over the past twenty years the pool had slipped into decline with various alternative uses being suggested including turning it into an ornamental duck pond. However it is now restored to its original beauty.I like the idea of the rival colleges feverishly digging away in the mid 17th century to see who would be first with the bathing pool. Or possibly of Emmanuel College Fellows peering over the wall at Christ’s College, envying them their new swimming pool, and wanting one of their own. No doubt the issue of which college, Emmanuel or Christ’s, has the most ancient waters will continue to provoke debate!
Reply 11
I'm sure I will love whichever, just the thought of being at Cambridge itself excites me! I do love the riverside too..and Clare looks like such a beautiful place to stay at. It's choir is quite prominent too!I may have made up my mind.. :biggrin:

https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/college-life/choir-christs-college-cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm obviously biased towards Christ's as the Admissions Tutor there but Clare is a lovely and beautiful college. Something to think about, though, they have great accommodation at Clare but nearly all of it is actually not on the main site on the river - it's mostly near the University Library or the Colony on Chesterton Road (about 10 mins walk from college). At Christ's because we have a much bigger footprint than Clare's main site we accommodate nearly everyone on site and those who aren;t on site (half the second year) are 3 minutes from college.

Anyway, you have to make your own decision and, as I say Clare is a fantastic college and, as others have said, people are nearly always happy at the college they choose but if you want to know more about Christ's and Medicine at Christ's, I'm happy to help. Best of luck whatever you do! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I'm obviously biased towards Christ's as the Admissions Tutor there but Clare is a lovely and beautiful college. Something to think about, though, they have great accommodation at Clare but nearly all of it is actually not on the main site on the river - it's mostly near the University Library or the Colony on Chesterton Road (about 10 mins walk from college). At Christ's because we have a much bigger footprint than Clare's main site we accommodate nearly everyone on site and those who aren;t on site (half the second year) are 3 minutes from college.

Anyway, you have to make your own decision and, as I say Clare is a fantastic college and, as others have said, people are nearly always happy at the college they choose but if you want to know more about Christ's and Medicine at Christ's, I'm happy to help. Best of luck whatever you do! :smile:

Thank you so much for the information! I thought that everyone would stay centrally at the main college, so that is really useful.

Also I just wanted to confirm, is the Director of Studies for Medicine Professor Michael Edwardson? My school tutors offered that I see who the directors were , as they would ultimately be the people who I go to for any queries. Would this be right ?
No where in Clare is very far from the river, Memorial Court is just the other side of Queen's Road, and the Colony is close to the river too, just about 10 mins walk away. There are a lot of renovations going on at the moment to improve accommodation (good as there is a ballot for second and third year rooms). The buttery and bar is at Old Court, but as long a you can manage a gentle stroll....you'll be fine, most Old Court accommodation goes to third years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you so much for the information! I thought that everyone would stay centrally at the main college, so that is really useful.

Also I just wanted to confirm, is the Director of Studies for Medicine Professor Michael Edwardson? My school tutors offered that I see who the directors were , as they would ultimately be the people who I go to for any queries. Would this be right ?

That's ok, as has been pointed out, most Clare accommodation is pretty close to the main site (except the colony), it's just that the site itself isn't that big and everything on the far side of the river and on site is beautiful gardens.

We have nice gardens at Christ's too but aren't by the river though our large site means that we have the vast majority of students living onsite.

Yes, our DoS for Pre-clinical is Professor Michael Edwardson - he is on leave this year but would be back by the time you arrived. Despite being a professor he is very involved with students teaching and their progression.

Clare's accommodation is quite spread out, but is generally reasonable quality. I'm an ex-Clare medic so admittedly a bit biased. The other big advantage for medics is that Clare owns a couple of really houses near Addenbrooke's which it lets to clinical students, which is hugely convenient and cheaper than private rentals.

Clare is a very musical college, if you're into that, and Clare cellars is (again, totally unbiased :wink:) probably one of the best student bars in Cambridge. Have you been to visit either of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending