The Student Room Group

Degree choice confusion for finance/investment banking

I am experiencing a dilemma for which courses to apply for. I want to work in finance/banking and have considered either an Economics degree or a management/finance degree.

Here is where my question kicks in. I do lack A Level mathematics, so I would have to do a BA in Economics, my choices would be:
1) Manchester Economics and Finance BA
2) Durham Economics BA (With Foundation year)
3) Nottingham Industrial Economics BSc (no need for A Level Maths)
4) Sussex Economics BA/BSc

Maths is not my strongest subject, hence I did not do A Level, but if I put in the required work I am sure I can achieve the required level. If I chose economics I would face a bigger challenge.

So my other choice is to apply for a degree in something like management or finance which is more practical rather than theoretical like Economics and is less maths orientated and would probably be more comfortable for me.

1) Durham Finance BSc
2) CASS Business School Investment and Financial Risk Management BSc
3) Warwick Management BSc
4) UCL Information Management for business

My A Levels are Russian Language, Business Studies, Economics and Information and Communication achieving AAAA at AS Level.

I need some advice on which path to take.

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
Uni is more important than degree taken, so prospects will be best from UCL & Warwick, followed by Durham then Notts, then Manchester or Cass, and Sussex a definite last place.
Reply 3
you realise that mechanical engineering majors are more sought after than business related majors for IB.
Simply because of the difficulty of the subject/ the great deal of logic it takes to pass.

I.e. A guy with first class mechanical engineering degree from Imperial college london, would more likely to get in than a guy with a first class business degree from Imperial College London. this is for the guy that said uni>degree. Degree matters to some extent dude.
For you OP, just stick to any mathematical based degree from a Russell Group Uni and you will be good to go :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LY1997
you realise that mechanical engineering majors are more sought after than business related majors for IB.
Simply because of the difficulty of the subject/ the great deal of logic it takes to pass.

I.e. A guy with first class mechanical engineering degree from Imperial college london, would more likely to get in than a guy with a first class business degree from Imperial College London. this is for the guy that said uni>degree. Degree matters to some extent dude.
For you OP, just stick to any mathematical based degree from a Russell Group Uni and you will be good to go :smile:

I don't think you are contradicting what he was saying, to be honest, although I may be wrong.

Would a first class business degree from imperial beat a first class mech. eng. degree from London Met?
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
I don't think you are contradicting what he was saying, to be honest, although I may be wrong.

Would a first class business degree from imperial beat a first class mech. eng. degree from London Met?

uni > degree however if in the same uni the degree has importance to some extent.

for example lets say you gained a first class business degree from imperial
and i gained a first class mech eng degree from imperial.
I would most likely get the place because mech eng is much more analytical and mathematical than business.
now do u understand where im going with this?
Reply 6
Original post by LY1997
uni > degree however if in the same uni the degree has importance to some extent.

I would most likely get the place because mech eng is much more analytical and mathematical than business.

I completely agree - I was simply pointing out that the previous poster didn't disagree with this. He simply said uni > degree, he didn't say anything about the same uni and different degree. You assumed he meant that the degree doesn't have an importance, I'm pretty sure the poster does this the degree has some importance. That's all. :smile:

You never answered: business degree at Imperial v/s mech. eng. degree at London Met, which one is better?
Reply 7
Original post by LY1997

lol mate, have no idea where the hell you're getting this from.

Only roles that express a preference for specific degrees are some specific trading/quant roles that are more mathematically inclined, but the quant roles tend to look for masters candidates and for a summer analyst/grad positions in trading you are not hired for specific desks, so there'll be no preference between mech eng and accounting & finance for example (they would have a preference for sciences over arts though)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
I completely agree - I was simply pointing out that the previous poster didn't disagree with this. He simply said uni > degree, he didn't say anything about the same uni and different degree. You assumed he meant that the degree doesn't have an importance, I'm pretty sure the poster does this the degree has some importance. That's all. :smile:

You never answered: business degree at Imperial v/s mech. eng. degree at London Met, which one is better?

Business @ imperial
Reply 9
Original post by MAINE.

Only roles that express a preference for specific degrees are some specific trading/quant roles that are more mathematically inclined, but the quant roles tend to look for masters candidates and for a summer analyst/grad positions in trading you are not hired for specific desks, so there'll be no preference between mech eng and accounting & finance for example (they would have a preference for sciences over arts though)

ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up. this means every1 has an equal shot! :smile:
Original post by LY1997
Business @ imperial

They're a STEM uni for undergrad...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MAINE.

Just cause a job doesn't express a specific preference doesn't mean it's not there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LY1997

That's bs. Degree doesn't matter as long as it's respectable. Definitely uni>degree
Reply 13
Original post by Mike_123
That's bs. Degree doesn't matter as long as it's respectable. Definitely uni>degree
2 imperial graduates with the exact same credentials, extra-curriculars, work experience etc. but one has an engineering degree and the other has a business studies degree - who would you choose?
Original post by bulf
2 imperial graduates with the exact same credentials, extra-curriculars, work experience etc. but one has an engineering degree and the other has a business studies degree - who would you choose?

Imperial doesn't do business studies and those situations never happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
Imperial doesn't do business studies and those situations never happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol mr pedantic, i'm obviously talking about a hypothetical case. we all know the engineer/physicist/mathematician/economist/computer scientist is a much better bet than the business studies dude
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf

depends who interviews better - i.e. personality, cultural fit, experiences
Original post by bulf
lol mr pedantic, i'm obviously talking about a hypothetical case. we all know the engineer/physicist/mathematician/economist/computer scientist is a much better bet than the business studies dude

completely incorrect, read the answer below.
Reply 18
Original post by Mike_123
depends who interviews better - i.e. personality, cultural fit, experiences
if you had to choose one of the candidates to give an interview to.

or if they both interview the same, who would you offer the job?

keep dodging the question. i don't see why do people feel the need to lie to themselves here, obviously the engineer is in a better position -who are you trying to fool

Original post by welcometoib
completely incorrect, read the answer below.
sure
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf
if you had to choose one of the candidates to give an interview to.

or if they both interview the same, who would you offer the job?

keep dodging the question. i don't see why do people feel the need to lie to themselves here, obviously the engineer is in a better position -who are you trying to fool

sure

you seem somewhat clueless. business is alot more practically applicable to the scene of investment banking (assuming ibd) than would be physics or engineering, although a range of factors is taken into consideration, most notably your university, the role required and your suitability towards it and the various unstated pre-requisites needed to obtain an interview.

rather than spouting nonesense, for someone who has probably never worked in the industry, i'd advise you read, learn and pick up information in order to help progress your own understandng, if it's a path you show interest in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending