The Student Room Group

Medicine in Australia?

I was just wondering how medicine is in Australia and I'm considering applying as a backup. However, I believe medicine is a graduate entry program there so I'll need to get my Bachelors of Biomedicine/Medical science before I can apply for the Doctor of Medicine program. I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding is and if it is advisable or not. I'm only considering Sydney and Melbourne.
Any relevant info would be really helpful!
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by TW5897
I was just wondering how medicine is in Australia and I'm considering applying as a backup. However, I believe medicine is a graduate entry program there so I'll need to get my Bachelors of Biomedicine/Medical science before I can apply for the Doctor of Medicine program. I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding is and if it is advisable or not. I'm only considering Sydney and Melbourne.
Any relevant info would be really helpful!
Thanks!

Sydney University is graduate only. University of NSW also uses teaching hospitals in Sydney and the region and they have an undergraduate-entry programme. It is mindblowingly, eyewateringly, prohibitively expensive for international students to study in Aus. I personally would just say, right now, don't consider it - do it here instead. The degrees are perfectly transferrable, you can do your elective out there and then if you want further study consider higher degrees later.

Unless you or your parents have quite literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars spare to spend on tuition alone (no living costs), it's not worth it. If you are in a position with that much spare cash, that's your own decision! Sydney (Melbourne too, but less so, but only a small amount less so) are relatively expensive to live, but given the current GBP exchange rate it's relatively reasonable - everything is half price, so it brings it more in line with London prices. If the exchange rate goes back up closer to 1 - 1 then again living costs will skyrocket and it's probably closer to London prices + 50%.

Bottom line: If you have $$$ go for it!
Reply 2
Yikes, it's really that expensive? It seemed like Med in the UK and Aus were similar in fees for international students.
For the UK, I'm quite confused as to where I should apply. Help me out here, please?
I've gotten a 40/45 in the IB and a 670 Band 2 in the UKCAT. I'm planning to give the BMAT as well, probably only for Imperial.
Thanks for the help, man!
I agree, medicine should be in Australia. They are humans too! #RuleBrittania
Reply 4
Original post by IAMADAM27
I agree, medicine should be in Australia. They are humans too! #RuleBrittania

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by TW5897
Yikes, it's really that expensive? It seemed like Med in the UK and Aus were similar in fees for international students.
For the UK, I'm quite confused as to where I should apply. Help me out here, please?
I've gotten a 40/45 in the IB and a 670 Band 2 in the UKCAT. I'm planning to give the BMAT as well, probably only for Imperial.
Thanks for the help, man!

I don't actually know how expensive medicine is in the UK for international students. In Australia I know they do something weird where you pay a certain amount per credit, and because medicine has about a million credits it ends up being quite expensive. From what I can remember looking at, for interest, I think a Sydney MD is something like $300,000 tuition?

As for help - check out the medicine FAQ (link on the right hand side of the page in the box). Lots of info on what universities use what kind of thing and where to best apply to tailor your application.
Reply 6
Original post by Beska
I don't actually know how expensive medicine is in the UK for international students. In Australia I know they do something weird where you pay a certain amount per credit, and because medicine has about a million credits it ends up being quite expensive. From what I can remember looking at, for interest, I think a Sydney MD is something like $300,000 tuition?

As for help - check out the medicine FAQ (link on the right hand side of the page in the box). Lots of info on what universities use what kind of thing and where to best apply to tailor your application.

Thanks a lot! I was considering Australia solely as a back up plan, but I don't think I'm going to do even that now.
Original post by Beska
Sydney University is graduate only. University of NSW also uses teaching hospitals in Sydney and the region and they have an undergraduate-entry programme. It is mindblowingly, eyewateringly, prohibitively expensive for international students to study in Aus. I personally would just say, right now, don't consider it - do it here instead. The degrees are perfectly transferrable, you can do your elective out there and then if you want further study consider higher degrees later.

Unless you or your parents have quite literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars spare to spend on tuition alone (no living costs), it's not worth it. If you are in a position with that much spare cash, that's your own decision! Sydney (Melbourne too, but less so, but only a small amount less so) are relatively expensive to live, but given the current GBP exchange rate it's relatively reasonable - everything is half price, so it brings it more in line with London prices. If the exchange rate goes back up closer to 1 - 1 then again living costs will skyrocket and it's probably closer to London prices + 50%.

Bottom line: If you have $$$ go for it!

Hello Beska,

Could you help to move the VIEW POLL RESULTS from the UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread into the New MKII of this UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread, So we can have the poll carry on till the end of the UKCAT (6/10/2016). Many Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by emanie96
Has anyone else applied for Medicine (2016 entry) in Australia?

I might.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know if there it is an under graduate entry or like in the US, you have to go through a graduate entry? Also, when do you actually apply. I'm currently in year 13.
Original post by hello_1234
Do you know if there it is an under graduate entry or like in the US, you have to go through a graduate entry? Also, when do you actually apply. I'm currently in year 13.

Yes, there is an undergraduate entry but not all universities have this. I know UNSW does. You have to check on the university's website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As an international student for 2016 entry? When's the deadline? Have you sat the UMAT or Gamsat?

I've applied as a domestic student. The deadline was 30th Sep. Just scanned my A-level results statement to UWS after a great deal of stress with UAC saying they can't process my application to the universities until they get my official certificates in November. Gonna have to call the other unis as well to see when they need my results by.

I will sit the ISAT depending on when the universities want the results. International students need to sit the ISAT.
Yes, the deadline was 30th September but they only have one intake every year which is in February. I will only sit my finals in February. Therefore, I will be applying for 2017 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will apply for 2016 entry to the universities that have a later intake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right, good luck. I think the deadline for Bond university is later :smile:

You too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending