The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have you not realised Emery's record with a Sevilla team and a Valencia team with relatively little amounts of money, while selling key players every year.

He's had to deal with the likes of Silva, Villa, Mata going and he still kept Valencia in the top 3. He's had to deal with selling Rakitic, Negredo, Navas, Vidal, Bacca at Sevilla and he's got them CL football.

He won Europa league two years in a row and got Sevilla 5th(only a few points off a Valencia team with a lot of money and Atlético who reached the CL final). He is far from a cup manager and considering the constraints he's been under(which is way more than Brendan who's been spending circa 70M every season) clearly he is more than the 'cup manager' that you believe him to be. It's frankly unfair to compare him to Brendan who has basically struggled to cope with the absence of 2 players and an injury to another despite spending large amounts of money to replace them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 501
Emery looks like he could be a step up from Rodgers but he's obviously not got the reputation that Klopp has.
Original post by jam277
Have you not realised Emery's record with a Sevilla team and a Valencia team with relatively little amounts of money, while selling key players every year.

He's had to deal with the likes of Silva, Villa, Mata going and he still kept Valencia in the top 3. He's had to deal with selling Rakitic, Negredo, Navas, Vidal, Bacca at Sevilla and he's got them CL football.

He won Europa league two years in a row and got Sevilla 5th(only a few points off a Valencia team with a lot of money and Atlético who reached the CL final). He is far from a cup manager and considering the constraints he's been under(which is way more than Brendan who's been spending circa 70M every season) clearly he is more than the 'cup manager' that you believe him to be. It's frankly unfair to compare him to Brendan who has basically struggled to cope with the absence of 2 players and an injury to another despite spending large amounts of money to replace them.

I really rate Emery. At no point did I say I didn't.

Yes, he won the EL twice on the bounce, but even when competing in that competition we obviously don't give it priority. Imagine your boss saying to you not to bother with something, but then sacking you and recruiting somebody else because they are able to do that thing better than you are.

Rodgers would have every right to feel aggrieved if he was ousted to make room for Emery, IF FSG recruited him because they felt his EL success showed promise. Rodgers hasn't been tasked with succeeding in that competition.
Reply 503
Original post by Mackay
I really rate Emery. At no point did I say I didn't.

Yes, he won the EL twice on the bounce, but even when competing in that competition we obviously don't give it priority. Imagine your boss saying to you not to bother with something, but then sacking you and recruiting somebody else because they are able to do that thing better than you are.

Rodgers would have every right to feel aggrieved if he was ousted to make room for Emery, IF FSG recruited him because they felt his EL success showed promise. Rodgers hasn't been tasked with succeeding in that competition.

Rodgers might not have been tasked with winning the EL but he didn't achieve his task of competing for 4th place in 2 of his seasons at the club. I'll give him leeway in not finishing 4th but we weren't even close frankly.

Ings in England squad, but no Sturridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Liverpool are playing FC Sion tonight

In case you haven't heard of them, they're a small club in Merseyside

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Sturridge call makes sense from all around. Unsure why Hodgson would risk him given we're now in France and our place at the tournament is secure. If we needed six points, the situation may be different. I'd really like Ings to be given a run out - he works tirelessly and runs so hard. He works the channels expertly, and he obviously won't end up with more than a dozen England caps, but it would be good to see him feature alongside Vardy rather than the usual suspects.
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

baitbaitbait.png
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Banter
Reply 508
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know who we are?

Do you want a bare-knuckled fight?
Original post by Zerforax
Do you know who we are?

Do you want a bare-knuckled fight?

if you ever want to play bare knuckle (streets of rage) with me then I'm game :smile:

We can play online
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always thinking of the song Road to Zion when I see that team.
Reply 511
Original post by DiceTheSlice
if you ever want to play bare knuckle (streets of rage) with me then I'm game :smile:

We can play online

I have Streets of Rage (I & II) on the Sega Megadrive :colondollar:

I only had the first Streets of Rage as a kid but it was bloody amazing.

Once we moved house and got more updated games consoles (PS2, Gamecube, etc..) we moved the Sega to the garage.
Still didn't stop me; i'd be over there so often playing classics like Mortal Kombat and Sonic the Hedgehog.
I was in there so much that in the winter my dad actually set up a heater for me :laugh:
Reply 513
Original post by Lúcio
I only had the first Streets of Rage as a kid but it was bloody amazing.

Once we moved house and got more updated games consoles (PS2, Gamecube, etc..) we moved the Sega to the garage.
Still didn't stop me; i'd be over there so often playing classics like Mortal Kombat and Sonic the Hedgehog.
I was in there so much that in the winter my dad actually set up a heater for me :laugh:

Second one is actually better since the attacks/specials are a little more varied. Nothing beats calling the cops to help you out though :colondollar:

Always preferred playing MK on the SNES where you actually have 6 buttons you can use easily instead of the 3 button and switching with start on Sega. Sonic is great though.

Gonna finish playing Pokemon Blue tonight :awesome:

EDIT: Just realised there's a football match I should be watching tonight..

Sadly my 16- bit got lost somewhere. On the bright side I have streets of range 1 on the iPhone.

I wouldn't recommend buying it though.

If you ever want to play the game on the hardest difficulty with another player, you should check my availability :biggrin:
Reply 515
Sadly my 16- bit got lost somewhere. On the bright side I have streets of range 1 on the iPhone.

I wouldn't recommend buying it though.

If you ever want to play the game on the hardest difficulty with another player, you should check my availability :biggrin:

Not sure I could handle that much RAGE..

Super Probotector - Alien Rebels on the SNES is another great co-op game but doesn't seem to have the same reputation.
Second one is actually better since the attacks/specials are a little more varied. Nothing beats calling the cops to help you out though :colondollar:

Always preferred playing MK on the SNES where you actually have 6 buttons you can use easily instead of the 3 button and switching with start on Sega. Sonic is great though.

Gonna finish playing Pokemon Blue tonight :awesome:

EDIT: Just realised there's a football match I should be watching tonight..

I dunno, sometimes keeping things simple is better.
That's what i love about old video games - they don't mess around by making things too complicated.
I'm not bothered about graphics either so i can always play really old games without it being a problem.

We have a massive metal case full with N64 games; every so often i take a gander and see what i can dig out.
The original Mario Party was actually insane (when it wasn't melting the skin of your palms...)

Original Pokemon games were amazing - it's hilarious when you look back and realise the only colour in the entire game was blue (wasn't it?). Going through the franchise generations and looking at the changes makes you realise how much people take for granted in modern games :tongue:

Should you really be watching though? We'll probably mess up...
Not sure I could handle that much RAGE..

Super Probotector - Alien Rebels on the SNES is another great co-op game but doesn't seem to have the same reputation.

No idea abt that Probotectot. Streets of rage along with others were pre installed on my sega so played those until I grew up for ps1.

I remember big bros playing Goldenaxe more often though. Clearly the didn't rate streets of rage that much
Reply 518
Original post by Lúcio
I dunno, sometimes keeping things simple is better.
That's what i love about old video games - they don't mess around by making things too complicated.
I'm not bothered about graphics either so i can always play really old games without it being a problem.

We have a massive metal case full with N64 games; every so often i take a gander and see what i can dig out.
The original Mario Party was actually insane (when it wasn't melting the skin of your palms...)

Original Pokemon games were amazing - it's hilarious when you look back and realise the only colour in the entire game was blue (wasn't it?). Going through the franchise generations and looking at the changes makes you realise how much people take for granted in modern games :tongue:

Should you really be watching though? We'll probably mess up...

I think that's why I prefer playing the old games now. You can pick one up and just play for 30 mins/an evening and then turn it off. None of this having to play for 40-60 repetitive hours to get somewhere. I guess the gaming industry feels the need to make time consuming content since games are so expensive.

Mario Kart + Super Smash Bros + GoldenEye 007 and 4 controllers is all you needed on the N64.
Reply 519
No idea abt that Probotectot. Streets of rage along with others were pre installed on my sega so played those until I grew up for ps1.

I remember big bros playing Goldenaxe more often though. Clearly the didn't rate streets of rage that much

Think it was called Contra in the USA/Japan. It's a good game though. Shooting aliens obviously.

I've never actually played Golden Axe. Maybe I should buy it off ebay.