The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Yeah thats a smart choice to go half and half.
If you're GCSES are tip top shape you stand a good chance at Cardiff. If I remember a uni that will work in your favour I'll PM you - none are coming to mind right now - its probably the stress of applying!

I haven't made my mind up yet, my first choice is Exeter, but tbh when October 9th comes around and the UKCAT deciles are out I think I'll know where I can realistically apply.

BTW Someone is selling the KAPLAN bmat tests on ebay they are meant to be the best thing out there so you could look into that!

Also if you don't know medify offer bmat prep and their site was helpful for UKCAT prep from my experience so that might be worth a try!

These things have a way of working out so just stay positive!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nkb01
Yaass *high fives back*

What are your predictions and UKCAT like?

I am predicted A*A*A and got 650 (ugh why)

Edit: do you have any idea what kind of UKCAT scores people got in with last year at liverpool?

A*AA and 687.5, tempted to get another A* prediction for Biology. Liverpool didn't use the UKCAT last year so it's a bit up in the air. I would apply with 650 though :smile:
Original post by theblondestudent
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd join the chat since I'm in the same boat as you - I'm resitting this year too!

I got A* in Latin, A in chemistry and a B in Biology. I'm getting an A* prediction in Biology luckily. (got a C in the coursework but As in my modules) with a B in English Literature at AS. I have 4A*s and 6As at GCSE.

I got 670 band 2 in my UKCAT.

I'm really unsure of where to apply; I have Exeter, Liverpool, UEA, Lancaster, Manchester (I have extentuating circumstances) and BSMS in my head. But I really don't know where to apply.

Has anyone registered for the BMAT here?

Hey we have similar stats :smile: ive registered aaaaah! Doing it for BSMS, you?

Original post by Hydeman
Hi. I'm not a resit applicant (although I'll be resitting some stuff anyway). I'll be doing the BMAT but unfortunately today was the last date for entries on the standard fee and an additional ~£30 is going to be charged between now and the final date (15 October)...

Just thought I'd mention that because I'm kind of pissed off because my school's going to charge £30 on top of that as an admin fee because I'm an external applicant (applying in a gap year), meaning I'll have to pay over £100 for the BMAT.

I'll be registering anyway though, because my UKCAT went very badly so I'll need to apply to two BMAT universities, at least.

How badly, does that rule out Exeter for you? :frown: £100+ is pretty steep, wow. Fingers crossed for you omg
Original post by theblondestudent
Yeah thats a smart choice to go half and half.
If you're GCSES are tip top shape you stand a good chance at Cardiff. If I remember a uni that will work in your favour I'll PM you - none are coming to mind right now - its probably the stress of applying!

I haven't made my mind up yet, my first choice is Exeter, but tbh when October 9th comes around and the UKCAT deciles are out I think I'll know where I can realistically apply.

BTW Someone is selling the KAPLAN bmat tests on ebay they are meant to be the best thing out there so you could look into that!

Also if you don't know medify offer bmat prep and their site was helpful for UKCAT prep from my experience so that might be worth a try!

These things have a way of working out so just stay positive!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :smile: I appreciate them.

Yeah, I've planned ahead: Cardiff scores applicants' academics (their GCSEs and, as applicable in my case, achieved A Levels) out of 27 and I've calculated I'd get the full 27 out of 27 on that, meaning I'm almost guaranteed an interview, provided my personal statement isn't rubbish.

Imperial depends on the BMAT. In the same way that King's and Exeter are often called UKCAT-heavy, Imperial is BMAT-heavy. They have three separate cut-offs for each section on the BMAT and, if you miss any of those, you don't get an interview. So it's kind of the high stakes option. xD

I'm a little hesitant about using Medify again since their Abstract Reasoning (AR) questions, at least in my experience, fell way short of the AR questions of the standard in the mocks and the real thing. Anyhow, I'll definitely try Kaplan this time, I've only heard good things about them! A month of grinding revision awaits me... :biggrin:

Good luck with Exeter! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AnnekaChan173
How badly, does that rule out Exeter for you? :frown: £100+ is pretty steep, wow. Fingers crossed for you omg

Yeah... It's my fault, really, for not entering sooner because the late fees are almost double the standard fee. I hope it'll be worth it. I'm a little pissed off that my school is classing me as a private candidate as if I have no ties to them at all but I guess it's only fair. xD

And it does rule Exeter out, unfortunately: I got 577.5 average and Band 2 on SJT, which is pretty horrendous by just about every standard. Cardiff is now the only UKCAT university I'm applying to since they use it very, very rarely (in tie-breaker situations) and because my other stats are well-suited to Cardiff (high GCSEs/achieved A Levels).
Hey we have similar stats :smile: ive registered aaaaah! Doing it for BSMS, you?

Hi think I am probably going to wuss out of the bmat :O I'm going to talk to an advisor at my college tomorrow to get another perspective.
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah... It's my fault, really, for not entering sooner because the late fees are almost double the standard fee. I hope it'll be worth it. I'm a little pissed off that my school is classing me as a private candidate as if I have no ties to them at all but I guess it's only fair. xD

And it does rule Exeter out, unfortunately: I got 577.5 average and Band 2 on SJT, which is pretty horrendous by just about every standard. Cardiff is now the only UKCAT university I'm applying to since they use it very, very rarely (in tie-breaker situations) and because my other stats are well-suited to Cardiff (high GCSEs/achieved A Levels).

That's unfortunate, I'd seen you on the thread and I was really hoping you'd be able to apply! Defo go for Cardiff though. What about BMAT and Bristol perhaps?
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks for the words of encouragement. :smile: I appreciate them.

Yeah, I've planned ahead: Cardiff scores applicants' academics (their GCSEs and, as applicable in my case, achieved A Levels) out of 27 and I've calculated I'd get the full 27 out of 27 on that, meaning I'm almost guaranteed an interview, provided my personal statement isn't rubbish.

Imperial depends on the BMAT. In the same way that King's and Exeter are often called UKCAT-heavy, Imperial is BMAT-heavy. They have three separate cut-offs for each section on the BMAT and, if you miss any of those, you don't get an interview. So it's kind of the high stakes option. xD

I'm a little hesitant about using Medify again since their Abstract Reasoning (AR) questions, at least in my experience, fell way short of the AR questions fell way short of the standard in the mocks and the real thing. Anyhow, I'll definitely try Kaplan this time, I've only heard good things about them! A month of grinding revision awaits me... :biggrin:

Good luck with Exeter! :smile:

That's awesome then! Hopefully they will like you! Woah Imperial are so specific I hope you make it. If you would regret not applying its probably better to apply!

I agree with you about abstract it was my lowest section in the UKCAT, I could hardly ever get the patterns on medify within the time limit!

Kaplan it is then good luck! It will all pay off! :smile:
That's unfortunate, I'd seen you on the thread and I was really hoping you'd be able to apply! Defo go for Cardiff though. What about BMAT and Bristol perhaps?

Yeah, I'm doing the BMAT for Imperial and I will be applying to Bristol as well. While Bristol is insanely competitive, I figured that two BMAT universities is risky enough as it is -- I wouldn't want to lose three of my four options if the BMAT went really badly. :smile:

Cardiff is convenient to me in a lot of ways, especially since it's really close to home (I live in Cardiff) so I'd save a lot of money studying from home, although that would mean missing out on the normal university experience! xD
hey guys, I'm having problems choosing universities for medicine, I have 5A*AC at gcse, 2A3B at As (B in bio and them, A in math) and 650 UKCAT with stj 4.. Predicted 2A* and 2A, Good work experience and personal statement. Im thinking of applying to keele and sheffield, is that a good idea? what other 2 universities should i apply to? thanks you
Reply 310
Hey there am currently on my GAP year and due to personal circumstances (parents where undergoing a divorce, wasn't in a financial environment to go uni at that time) I couldn't really apply for university during my last year of A2. I've got my Alevel results and they're A*AAB in maths, f maths, biology and chemistry. I was planning to apply for keele, Newcastle, st georges and Exeter. My UkCAT score is 675 average. My GCSEs are 5A*3A4B, what do you think guys or am I wasting my time. I've done relevant we and voluntary work and am currently doing some at pm as well. Also doing AS physics just so am academically doing something throughout the yr and also resisting one modules in Chen to get get to an A. It would be nice to get some feedback.
Original post by Inam97
Hey there am currently on my GAP year and due to personal circumstances (parents where undergoing a divorce, wasn't in a financial environment to go uni at that time) I couldn't really apply for university during my last year of A2. I've got my Alevel results and they're A*AAB in maths, f maths, biology and chemistry. I was planning to apply for keele, Newcastle, st georges and Exeter. My UkCAT score is 675 average. My GCSEs are 5A*3A4B, what do you think guys or am I wasting my time. I've done relevant we and voluntary work and am currently doing some at pm as well. Also doing AS physics just so am academically doing something throughout the yr and also resisting one modules in Chen to get get to an A. It would be nice to get some feedback.

Unless you can provide evidence of your parents' divorce, it's unlikely that medical schools will look kindly upon resits outside of the standard two-year period.

I'm in a similar position: I've finished my A Levels and am applying in a gap year. I'm also doing an A Level in further mathematics (and resitting one module of maths). I've sent emails to the relevant medical schools about whether they're okay with this given that I already have A*AA in my other subjects (chemistry, biology, physics).

I mean, they should be okay with it because the general guidance on this has always been that you must not take more than two years to achieve the necessary grades and I haven't... It's a bit worrying because I don't know whether to mention it on the UCAS form. :s-smilie:
Original post by Inam97

Hey I'm really sorry to hear about your parents divorce, mine got divorced a few years ago so I know it must be hard, but you still did really well in your A levels so well done! I think Keele is a good option you should get an unconditional with A*AB (f.maths doesn't usually count as a separate subject) and your UKCAT is also good for there. Exeter is also a good idea, especially if you can be predicted an A* for your chemistry retake and then also apply to universities that accept retakes (BSMS, Plymouth, UEA, Lancaster, Liverpool) instead of sgul/Newcastle

But if you really want the other two then maybe contact the admissions tutors and see what they say?

good luck with everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 313
Original post by Hydeman
Unless you can provide evidence of your parents' divorce, it's unlikely that medical schools will look kindly upon resits outside of the standard two-year period.

I'm in a similar position: I've finished my A Levels and am applying in a gap year. I'm also doing an A Level in further mathematics (and resitting one module of maths). I've sent emails to the relevant medical schools about whether they're okay with this given that I already have A*AA in my other subjects (chemistry, biology, physics).

I mean, they should be okay with it because the general guidance on this has always been that you must not take more than two years to achieve the necessary grades and I haven't... It's a bit worrying because I don't know whether to mention it on the UCAS form. :s-smilie:

Hi thanks for the info, am hoping to use my A*AAB grades for my choices that's why I've chosen these uni. Theses looks wicked btw.
Reply 314
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Hey I'm really sorry to hear about your parents divorce, mine got divorced a few years ago so I know it must be hard, but you still did really well in your A levels so well done! I think Keele is a good option you should get an unconditional with A*AB (f.maths doesn't usually count as a separate subject) and your UKCAT is also good for there. Exeter is also a good idea, especially if you can be predicted an A* for your chemistry retake and then also apply to universities that accept retakes (BSMS, Plymouth, UEA, Lancaster, Liverpool) instead of sgul/Newcastle

But if you really want the other two then maybe contact the admissions tutors and see what they say?

good luck with everything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the information and am sorry to hear about your situation and I do empathise. Tbh I don't want this as an excuse for my grades (that's me personally). The reason I applied sgul is becuase they want AAAB and they accept further maths. With Newcastle they want AAA including bio and or chem. If you don't have the other one to A grade then they want it in A or above in GCSE (I don't understand how they can use GCSE in this case). I was really considering Plymouth instead of exter but both are almost the same and are like 20miles from each other. Plus I don't know whether Lancaster accept a B in chemistry (even tho I am resitting to get an A hopefully) but thanks for pointing it out might have a check.
when they say they want evidence of volunteering would my hospital ID which says volunteer be enough?
Reply 316
is 680 in the ukcat enough to apply to exeter and liverpool?
Original post by tans

I hope so😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tans

Depends on your predicted final grades. Apparently you get placed in tiers/bands so those with A*A*A or A*A*A* predictions have a lower cut-off to meet than those who're only predicted A*AA.

Edit: This is for Exeter. I don't know about Liverpool since they've only just started using the UKCAT from this year.
(edited 8 years ago)
All my friends have moved out for uni now, feels kinda lonely :/

Quick Reply