The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gur123
Hi I going to be starting my adult nursing course in April 2016, I heard that the course consists of written exams, does that mean they will be multiple choice exams or do you have to actually write the answer down? I get really nervous and anxious when it comes to exams :frown:. I was also wondering what type of assignments questions do they give you?
Thank you :smile:

It depends on the uni, it could be both MCQ's and written exams. Depending on what's causing your anxiety you're uni might be able to give you exam adjustments so you get a seperate room or something like that so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Original post by futurechildnurse
Hey Hun, Oh I am sorry to hear that and oh wow done, hope it goes well! Please let me know how you get on. I have just started my training for the job, so I haven't really came face to face with my clients yet, although I know what they look like (shown pics) and know their personalities, which is good to know. I very much doubt that you will have to reapply next year! I am hoping that my volunteering (youth group and potentially hospital) & my job pays off and makes them think I am a good candidate.

Will you be working with adults or children with LD? If I am honest I have thought about LD nursing but I have always wanted to work with children!

xxx

Just a little note....
With ld nursing you can work with both adults and children....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Just a little note....
With ld nursing you can work with both adults and children....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh,ok. Thank you for that information. Learning disability nursing is going to be my back up then if I don't get any offers/a place on a children's nursing course!
Oh,ok. Thank you for that information. Learning disability nursing is going to be my back up then if I don't get any offers/a place on a children's nursing course!

I think LD tends to be more often in clearing, as not as many people apply for it/don't realise it's even an option so is a really solid alternative I think :smile:

Good luck sending your app off, I've been checking track like 5 times a day and it's driving me mad already haha!
Original post by ChancedTravels
I think LD tends to be more often in clearing, as not as many people apply for it/don't realise it's even an option so is a really solid alternative I think :smile:

Good luck sending your app off, I've been checking track like 5 times a day and it's driving me mad already haha!

Yeah,LD nursing does tend to be in clearing a lot more! As I could do the LD disability degree then in the future go onto do an 18 month children's nursing degree, as then I have both of those degrees behind me, making it easier for me to get a job!

Thank you! My reference still hasn't be written yet,so still waiting for that! Aww,luckily for me I won't be at home for 2/3 days a week so I wont have the opportunity to keep checking it!
Original post by saima_97
i am thinking of applying for Adult Nursing and was wondering what advice would you give regarding research so i can be prepared for my interviews. Also would you recommend travelling to university or staying in halls.

Halls- all the way! One of the best experiences of my life was living in halls at university and definitely made me grow up as a person and nurse.

Secondly research- well think about the francis report- what does that say? Look into the NMC Code, maybe even peruse the shape of caring report and five year forward plan.
Hello!

Can't believe I have just sent off my application for UCAS!! Feeling physically sick and nervous now.
Yeah,LD nursing does tend to be in clearing a lot more! As I could do the LD disability degree then in the future go onto do an 18 month children's nursing degree, as then I have both of those degrees behind me, making it easier for me to get a job!

Thank you! My reference still hasn't be written yet,so still waiting for that! Aww,luckily for me I won't be at home for 2/3 days a week so I wont have the opportunity to keep checking it!

Good luck with your application but bear in mind that conversion courses are few and far between.
As from my above post it states I only sent off my application yesterday and already received an offer for an interview!!
As from my above post it states I only sent off my application yesterday and already received an offer for an interview!!

Well done!!!
Original post by PaediatricStN
Well done!!!

Thank you, I am thrilled to at least get an interview!! Also thank you for all the help with it. :smile:
Has anyone applied to Teesside Uni for Sept 2016 and received invite to interview yet? I hate this waiting! :-/
Reply 132
What material is on the numeracy test for midwifery ? I'm thinking the basics percentages fractions decimals etc or are there weight and volume drug calculations ? Do I need to revise this? I've got an interview for uclan next wed.. And I can't get in the snap website
(edited 8 years ago)
the test really aren't hard , you get asked about 8 -11 questions depending on what uni and the questions are usually about time and measurements so don't stress out
Reply 134
Had couple of interviews .. Felt it went well but it's hard to know what they are looking for ... They say that no news is good news and they let the no's kniw first !! Any idea how fast this happens???...waiting game again ha ha
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to bother you. But I'm hoping someone could help? This probably sounds so silly but i am in the midst of applying through UCAS for nursing. I'm Scottish (hence later application too!) but i would love to study in England. Just one query. Can anyone tell me whether Scottish students studying in England get the same bursary and fees paid?? Sorry again for troubling everyone.
Thank you in advance. 😊
Hi all,

Third year (almost finished!) MH Student nurse here also if you need any advice/guidance ask away :smile:
Original post by MAP123
Hi as a nude do you deal with dead bodies? I want to do child nursing but I cannot deal with dead bodies

You'll probably see more deaths doing Adult nursing, I was only on one adult placement in my first year of MH nursing for 4 weeks and experienced 2 deaths.. Especially if you're on a stroke/respiratory ward/or oncology wards. Even then, however, you may not have to deal with the 'dead bodies' as normally the registered nurses do the last offices..

Mental health - death does happen on the wards but is somewhat uncommon, as checks are done often on patients and risk assessments in place etc to ensure patients are as safe as possible.. I'm yet to experience a death and I'm nearly finished my course! Some near-misses though.

Children's nursing doesn't see much death unless you do loads of cancer/end of life care placements.
Original post by Felix_felicis
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to bother you. But I'm hoping someone could help? This probably sounds so silly but i am in the midst of applying through UCAS for nursing. I'm Scottish (hence later application too!) but i would love to study in England. Just one query. Can anyone tell me whether Scottish students studying in England get the same bursary and fees paid?? Sorry again for troubling everyone.
Thank you in advance. 😊

This won't be much help but a bit of direction: Call some universities and ask - most are very friendly and know their stuff very well :smile: it would take you all of 10 minutes to do then you'll know!
Original post by pollypokit_x
You'll probably see more deaths doing Adult nursing, I was only on one adult placement in my first year of MH nursing for 4 weeks and experienced 2 deaths.. Especially if you're on a stroke/respiratory ward/or oncology wards. Even then, however, you may not have to deal with the 'dead bodies' as normally the registered nurses do the last offices..

Mental health - death does happen on the wards but is somewhat uncommon, as checks are done often on patients and risk assessments in place etc to ensure patients are as safe as possible.. I'm yet to experience a death and I'm nearly finished my course! Some near-misses though.

Children's nursing doesn't see much death unless you do loads of cancer/end of life care placements.

I expect my students to participate in all aspects of nursing that they can. This includes last offices, it's an important part of nursing care.

Quick Reply

Latest