The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tanishqa
Hey, your AR score is quite nice! What resources did you use and how did you approach the questions, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks, I used the website & a test from UKcatprep, I also just found some free resources scattered around the Internet. Tsr has a thread with extra tests used for interviews, so I just used some of those. The AR felt hard in the test tho, so I guess I surprised myself.
Original post by gentleuk
Hi Mz,
is this your first attempt? I am a mental health nurse with a first class and hoping to apply next year. From your scores; you've got potential. If you can't get in this year; please don't give up

Aww thanks, that's lovely to hear, I took the ukcat prior to starting nursing because I really wanted to try, I got good scores too but backed out because of nerves and studied nursing. A couple years later I took it prior to qualifying but my university were not very supportive and decided to give a reference based on the course rather than my academic performance, so that didn't go to well with the universities I had applied to. This is my third attempt taking the test but my second time actually applying to Medicine. I feel awful about my scores. I'm 23 next month (Godwilling) and feel like it's never going to happen :frown: *shy face* Congratz on your degree classification. My aunty is a MH nurse, it's hard work! You should be so proud! Goodluck with your application next year too!! :smile:
Original post by mzchocolate
Aww thanks, that's lovely to hear, I took the ukcat prior to starting nursing because I really wanted to try, I got good scores too but backed out because of nerves and studied nursing. A couple years later I took it prior to qualifying but my university were not very supportive and decided to give a reference based on the course rather than my academic performance, so that didn't go to well with the universities I had applied to. This is my third attempt taking the test but my second time actually applying to Medicine. I feel awful about my scores. I'm 23 next month (Godwilling) and feel like it's never going to happen :frown: *shy face* Congratz on your degree classification. My aunty is a MH nurse, it's hard work! You should be so proud! Goodluck with your application next year too!! :smile:

That's really unfair, universities are supposed to provide you with references appropriate to your academic ability, personal feelings about students doing different courses shouldn't even come to it. Who will give you a reference if you academic tutor won't?
Original post by Tanishqa
Hey, your AR score is quite nice! What resources did you use and how did you approach the questions, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! what resources u choose to study im going my Ukcat on Monday. Please help me which website is good to prepare.
Hi! Im also studying from ukcat prep website its very useful i hope will get good grades
Aww thanks, I used the website & a test from UKcatprep, I also just found some free resources scattered around the Internet. Tsr has a thread with extra tests used for interviews, so I just used some of those. The AR felt hard in the test tho, so I guess I surprised myself.

Ukcatprep? That's Emedica right? You did all the 12 tests? I'm sorry to bug you with so many questions but you scored so well. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 23 next month (Godwilling) and feel like it's never going to happen :frown: *shy face*

Shhh, I'm 28!

But on a more serious note, I asked my personal tutor for a reference and she said she would but she wouldnt know what to write. So Im a little concerned about this :s who is writing your reference this time?
Original post by HanaGEM
But on a more serious note, I asked my personal tutor for a reference and she said she would but she wouldnt know what to write. So Im a little concerned about this :s who is writing your reference this time?

UCAS has guidance for referees.
Original post by Ebuwa
UCAS has guidance for referees.

Thanks, she would be fine writing the ref Im sure just never written one for medicine
Original post by HanaGEM
Essentially yes, but the previous years cut offs are given for undergrad degrees, and it seems you need 700 minimum, 750 to be safe ...

Oh my God!!!!!
if that's the case; I better get my skates out and start heading for my masters before applying. Sometimes it feels like the system is not as fair as it is often portrayed ... Once again, thanks for the info. You seem to know a lot around these unis. Are you sure not a lecturer:smile:
Oh my God!!!!!
if that's the case; I better get my skates out and start heading for my masters before applying. Sometimes it feels like the system is not as fair as it is often portrayed ... Once again, thanks for the info. You seem to know a lot around these unis. Are you sure not a lecturer:smile:

Warwick require completed masters.

Definitely not a lecturer, Im a midwife :wink: But I know a lot about Warwick as its my only feasible option so want to cover all bases
Same situation as you but 645 not sure if it's worth applying.. so are you not going to apply at all?

Original post by tw781
I sat my retest yesterday and scored unbelievably badly. I only did better on one section and scored worse in everything else, giving me an average of 640 (what I actually got in the first place -.-). Majorly ****ed up VR and got 560!!!!

So I'm afraid my 2016 entry application ends here as my only options were Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton and Barts :-/. I am so disappointed after spending so much time and money on this UKCAT.

So it's GAMSAT in March and redo UKCAT next year. Ugh. So disappointing that I can't even apply!

To those of you who have had to apply again - please give me some advice on how to not think my world is over haha!

Good luck to you all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!!!!! I am sure you will be fine, just don't give up. When it comes to some of the nursing schools, I don't think they take too nicely to taking up another course especially medicine. I remember being in a similar situation in my second year and that thought me a valuable lesson. However, on a more positive note- no matter how old you are; it's never too late to pursue your dreams. BY the grace of the almighty God and through hard work; you will get there; look back at the pain and price you had to pay; and you'll smile.
Original post by HanaGEM
Warwick require completed masters.

Definitely not a lecturer, Im a midwife :wink: But I know a lot about Warwick as its my only feasible option so want to cover all bases

Wow!!! Midwife!!! That's great.
Does that mean you've completed a masters programme?
Wow!!! Midwife!!! That's great.
Does that mean you've completed a masters programme?

No, no masters, only just qualified, but I have a first and a decent UKCAT so hoping that will be enough, looked into in as wasnt sure if you get points based on classification or just level of study (i still dont know) but Im hoping my UKCAT score will be enough.
Original post by HanaGEM
No, no masters, only just qualified, but I have a first and a decent UKCAT so hoping that will be enough, looked into in as wasnt sure if you get points based on classification or just level of study (i still dont know) but Im hoping my UKCAT score will be enough.

Oh I see!! I wish you all the best. Please let us know how you get on. I guess it would inspire the rest of us. Thanks
Oh I see!! I wish you all the best. Please let us know how you get on. I guess it would inspire the rest of us. Thanks

Of course, I always find it useful to read other peoples stories! Do you want to stay in MH or would you be looking at a different specialty?
Original post by HanaGEM
Of course, I always find it useful to read other peoples stories! Do you want to stay in MH or would you be looking at a different specialty?

Great!!!!
For me mental health/ psychiatry is a definite thing. If not; may be I might head towards public health with particular interest in research in mental health ( just can't live without it. It's become part of my DNA.:smile:). May be I'll go work in the less developed country as a medic.
What are your long term plans in terms of specialty?
Great!!!!
For me mental health/ psychiatry is a definite thing. If not; may be I might head towards public health with particular interest in research in mental health ( just can't live without it. It's become part of my DNA.:smile:). May be I'll go work in the less developed country as a medic.
What are your long term plans in terms of specialty?

I honestly dont know, not obstetrics, I love being in community because youre able to build relationships with people, and I really enjoy public health so ive considered GP, but I also thrive on the high risk delivery suite environment, I work well under pressure and I enjoy the pace so I guess I just see which area appeals to me (if I get in).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending