The Student Room Group

Does A2 History coursework go to moderation?

From Edexcel.Ive been told that some peoples coursework just gets marked by one teacher and thats it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your teacher marks the work but a couple of essays are selected and sent to the exam board, along with the grade awarded by the teacher. If the examiners moderate and agree with the grades given for those pieces of work, nothing is changed. If they disagree and end up marking them down, the coursework from the entire class is automatically marked down too.
They usually send a sample consisting of the highest mark given, lowest mark given and average.

But if you've got a small class e.g. 8-10, then they may send it all off.
Original post by HenryKenry
From Edexcel.Ive been told that some peoples coursework just gets marked by one teacher and thats it.

How are you doing with the coursework? I really have no clue how to structure my part A answer lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
How are you doing with the coursework? I really have no clue how to structure my part A answer lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know im not going to do well, basically my teacher genuinely has something against me, he said to me today "Henry Id worry if I were you, not because your not good at History but because I'm marking the coursework so dont expect much." I genuinely felt like crying, this is why I put the thread up. So how ever I structure my Part A I wont get above an E grade im sure.
I know im not going to do well, basically my teacher genuinely has something against me, he said to me today "Henry Id worry if I were you, not because your not good at History but because I'm marking the coursework so dont expect much." I genuinely felt like crying, this is why I put the thread up. So how ever I structure my Part A I wont get above an E grade im sure.

Wow thats horrible, I'd speak to someone higher than your history teacher, that really is not on. I hope you do well nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ben4
Wow thats horrible, I'd speak to someone higher than your history teacher, that really is not on. I hope you do well nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is the head of History, I dont have a leg to stand on. Plus that would further irritate him :/
He is the head of History, I dont have a leg to stand on. Plus that would further irritate him :/

Well if you do a fantastic piece of work he cant mark you down because he dont like you. Dont think he'd risk it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ben4
Well if you do a fantastic piece of work he cant mark you down because he dont like you. Dont think he'd risk it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, he refuses to support me- doesnt want to look at my paragraphs or plans so doing good without guidance is going to be really hard, especially as my deadline is in 2 weeks :/

Tanx of the kind reassurance- if I do get a low grade when I think its not deserved I will go straight to the head, even the governors.
Reply 9

If you make your work full mark worthy, there is no way he will mark it at an E grade. If he does, bring in the draft with his markings to the head principle / assitant head and report the teacher.

I'm also starting Edexcel A2 History CW.
Doing Russian History 1894 - 2008 breadth and I've chosen Boris Yeltsin's reforms for depth study.

Let me know how it goes :smile:
You lot just wing the coursework lol. I got an A* on the exam 120/120 and only 63/80 on coursework
Original post by Windies
If you make your work full mark worthy, there is no way he will mark it at an E grade. If he does, bring in the draft with his markings to the head principle / assitant head and report the teacher.

I'm also starting Edexcel A2 History CW.
Doing Russian History 1894 - 2008 breadth and I've chosen Boris Yeltsin's reforms for depth study.

Let me know how it goes :smile:

But making it fully mark worthy is easier said than done especially without support from my teacher :/
Original post by Magnus Taylor
You lot just wing the coursework lol. I got an A* on the exam 120/120 and only 63/80 on coursework

Got any tips for the exam? Structure or revisiob advice? Well done on the great grade! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Magnus Taylor

What was your Part B coursework question?
But making it fully mark worthy is easier said than done especially without support from my teacher :/

Complain to your headteacher?
Original post by Wawasan
Complain to your headteacher?

I have no proof, my word against his
I have no proof, my word against his

They're obliged to take what you say seriously - if you do mention it, and then your history teacher is questioned, then....
Original post by Wawasan
They're obliged to take what you say seriously - if you do mention it, and then your history teacher is questioned, then....

I guess so, I'll see how it turns out then I will have no choice but to speak up

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/History/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035239_GCE_Lin_History_Issue_5.pdf

This explains (around page 70) how coursework is moderated. The criteria for marking it is also there ...
[QUOTE=HenryKenry;59717897]What was your Part B coursework question?

I did my coursework on genocide. Btw it is super high grade boundaries 49/60 is not even an A lol

Quick Reply

Latest