The Student Room Group

My UKCAT score - is it good?

I did it today. This is my score:

Verbal reasoning: 590
Quantitative reasoning: 670
Abstract reasoning: 740
Decision analysis: 650
Situational judgement: band 2

Will the universities consider that I'm an international student (so that I don't read in english as fast)? I'm from the EU though...

The universities that I want to apply to:
University of Glasgow
University of Dundee
King's College London
Reply 1
Original post by barborazel
I did it today. This is my score:

Verbal reasoning: 590
Quantitative reasoning: 670
Abstract reasoning: 740
Decision analysis: 650
Situational judgement: band 2

Will the universities consider that I'm an international student (so that I don't read in english as fast)? I'm from the EU though...

The universities that I want to apply to:
University of Glasgow
University of Dundee
King's College London

First things first, stay far away from King's. Realistically, your scores aren't good enough to make their cut off, especially since they're probably the most UKCAT heavy university there is. Your score is theoretically good enough for Dundee and Glasgow, provided you have good A levels and a reasonably strong PS/Reference. In deciding further, I'd advise you to stay away from universities that really rely on the UKCAT like King's, Newcastle/Durham, Manchester and others.
Hope that helped!
Original post by TW5897
First things first, stay far away from King's. Realistically, your scores aren't good enough to make their cut off, especially since they're probably the most UKCAT heavy university there is.

King's doesn't have a rigid cut-off like some UKCAT-heavy universities although it is fairly UKCAT-heavy but not quite the most UKCAT heavy university. It uses the UKCAT score in conjunction with your other academics so outstanding academics could compensate for a slightly lower score, as far as I know. :smile:

However, I do agree that it's a little low for King's. Depends on the OP's other academics. :wink:
do they use their own application or is it on google?
Original post by Hydeman
King's doesn't have a rigid cut-off like some UKCAT-heavy universities although it is fairly UKCAT-heavy but not quite the most UKCAT heavy university. It uses the UKCAT score in conjunction with your other academics so outstanding academics could compensate for a slightly lower score, as far as I know. :smile:

However, I do agree that it's a little low for King's. Depends on the OP's other academics. :wink:

I always thought Newcastle/Durham were most ukcat heavy
Original post by Docjones1
I always thought Newcastle/Durham were most ukcat heavy

It's debatable which of them is but I certainly wouldn't count a university that doesn't operate a UKCAT the most UKCAT-heavy university there is, although it might be significantly focused on that.

Yeah, Newcastle and Durham come to mind as well...
Reply 6
So what schools would you recommend instead of KCL?

What about St. Andrews?
(edited 8 years ago)
So what schools would you recommend instead of KCL?

What about St. Andrews?

St Andrews use a combination of General Academics and Personal statement to select for first stage, then sucessful applicants in stage 1 are ranked on UKCAT for interview, then they take the interview score and UKCAT score to make offers. The average UKCAT for offers in
2015 was 2700 total.

What are your GCSEs and A level predictions (and AS level results)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
St Andrews use a combination of General Academics and Personal statement to select for first stage, then sucessful applicants in stage 1 are ranked on UKCAT for interview, then they take the interview score and UKCAT score to make offers. The average UKCAT for offers in
2015 was 2700 total.

What are your GCSEs and A level predictions (and AS level results)

We don't have GCSE and A level in the czech republic. I will do maturita exam at the end of this school year, I think it's something like A-levels. I will probably have predicted 1,1,1,1 (Czech, German, Chemistry, Biology). 1 is the best and 3 is the worst passing.
We don't have GCSE and A level in the czech republic. I will do maturita exam at the end of this school year, I think it's something like A-levels. I will probably have predicted 1,1,1,1 (Czech, German, Chemistry, Biology). 1 is the best and 3 is the worst passing.

Hmm. I guess they'd be ranked highest as long as you don't do any other exams before those (at 15/16 and you did worse in them.) It might be worth applying but there is a LOT of competition and they do use the UKCAT for a lot and you'd be slightly below average so it might be useful to apply elsewhere (I'd say you have a decent chance at st andrews though). If you're applying based on prestige don't bother. More or less all medical universities in the UK are considered the same because they're highly regulated by the GMC. The only difference is the style of teaching (St Andrews Lecture based, some others - Cardiff comes to mind - more Care-based.)
Reply 10
Hmm. I guess they'd be ranked highest as long as you don't do any other exams before those (at 15/16 and you did worse in them.) It might be worth applying but there is a LOT of competition and they do use the UKCAT for a lot and you'd be slightly below average so it might be useful to apply elsewhere (I'd say you have a decent chance at st andrews though). If you're applying based on prestige don't bother. More or less all medical universities in the UK are considered the same because they're highly regulated by the GMC. The only difference is the style of teaching (St Andrews Lecture based, some others - Cardiff comes to mind - more Care-based.)

So what would be some schools where I would have a good chance and still would be considered prestigeous (for example by rankings)?

And what about Aberdeen? Though some people have said that it's not a good city to study in because of the oil and the cold weather.
So what would be some schools where I would have a good chance and still would be considered prestigeous (for example by rankings)?

And what about Aberdeen? Though some people have said that it's not a good city to study in because of the oil and the cold weather.

Every med school gives you the same medical degree. Prestige plays no part in it. The med school you study at will not affect the jobs you get in the future.

Uni prestige means pretty much nothing in Medicine so i'm not really going to address that... They all have pros and cons. I don't live in Aberdeen but it's very cold, far away from most large cities in the UK. It has good nightlife and the teaching will be as good as it is at any other university and I'd imagine it'd have cheaper accomodation than London (and St Andrews),.

Use this website to find admissions procedures
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/list/successful?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=aberdeen+a100&request_date_after=&request_date_before=&commit=Search

Type in "A100 (university name)" and look for one asking about selection or admission procedure. Some might be outdated slightly so check the date and make sure the official .ac website doesn't contradict the information
The average UKCAT for 2014 was 2686 from information on that website - just a tad over your total so not too far (and it's an average - there are some at 2400...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending