My new french tutor is going to think im stupid

Watch
amarsthecat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I go to a grammar school and I used to go to a normal school before alevels. During gcses I was top of my class cos most of them were dumb so I felt clever and like I was good at French. coming to my new school I literally am the dumbest I don't know loads of vocab everyone else knows and I'm behind the whole class. I'm getting Bs and Cs sometimes Ds and I feel like the teacher is looking down on me . I know u might think I'm exaggerating but I'm really bad at French if I knew it was this hard I would have never chose it.

ANYWAY NOW IM GETTING A TUTOR but he's going to judge me so much and be like why the hell are u doing a level French YOU KNOW NOTHING HELP ME . how do I get over the fact that it's going to be embarrassing and awkward for me
tia450
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by amarsthecat)
I go to a grammar school and I used to go to a normal school before alevels. During gcses I was top of my class cos most of them were dumb so I felt clever and like I was good at French. coming to my new school I literally am the dumbest I don't know loads of vocab everyone else knows and I'm behind the whole class. I'm getting Bs and Cs sometimes Ds and I feel like the teacher is looking down on me . I know u might think I'm exaggerating but I'm really bad at French if I knew it was this hard I would have never chose it.

ANYWAY NOW IM GETTING A TUTOR but he's going to judge me so much and be like why the hell are u doing a level French YOU KNOW NOTHING HELP ME . how do I get over the fact that it's going to be embarrassing and awkward for me
Don't stress about it!

Stay calm, revise and you'll be ok.

Find out what your weak points are and spend time on them.

I'm sure if you spend enough time on it, you'll be fine!
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ce n'est pas bon, mais francais est facile. Tu peux le faire.
Spoiler:
Show
nique ta mere
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

There’s no need to panic. Teachers are here to do one thing, teach. You’ll be fine. A lot of A-Level approaches retouch on everything again because not every school teaches the things they should (e.g. not teaching the preterite or how to form it properly). Best of luck and revise!
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Spoiler:
Show
nique ta mere
Votre mots est très sympa et encourager. Je ne sais pas si j'ai devrait donner le réputation. Je pense que j'aurai parce que je veux être gentille hehe. Je suis désolée si tu est ne comprends pas... Mon Français est plutôt mauvais parfois. :getmecoat:

Spoiler:
Show
.... J'espère ne cette pas moyen quelle je pense ils moyens. :erm:

OÚ SONT MODÉRATEURS!¡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Don't panic! There are a few things you can do - and you're lucky that you've got a tutor to help you.

First things first: make sure you know your verbs. That is really, really important. You need to know:

Present tense and passé composé (made with the present tense of the auxiliary verb)
Imperfect and pluperfect (made with the imperfect of the auxiliary verb)
Future and future perfect (made with the future of the auxiliary verb)
Conditional and conditional perfect (made with the conditional of the auxiliary verb)

and, finally, but not until you have mastered the above
Subjunctive and perfect subjunctive (made with the subjunctive of the auxiliary verb)

You need to know how to form these tenses for regular verbs, and you need to know the tenses for the most common irregular verbs.

Your verbs are like the spinal column of the language. Get to grips with them, and the rest will fall into place. Believe me, I've been teaching for over 30 years!

Vocab is obviously important too. Go through the work you have done so far, make a note of all the important vocab and you will see that the same stuff comes up again and again. Make lists and learn the vocab and expressions by heart, it's the only way.

And don't think that your tutor is going to belittle you just because you're struggling at this stage! He's there to help you, not to judge you.

Bon courage!
beyknowles2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
nique ta mere
(Original post by Anon_98)
Votre mots est très sympa et encourager. Je ne sais pas si j'ai devrait donner le réputation. Je pense que j'aurai parce que je veux être gentille hehe. Je suis désolée si tu est ne comprends pas... Mon Français est plutôt mauvais parfois. :getmecoat:
Spoiler:
Show
.... J'espère ne cette pas moyen quelle je pense ils moyens. :erm:

OÚ SONT MODÉRATEURS!¡

Posted from TSR Mobile
embarrassing attempts at writing in French
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by beyknowles2)
Embarrassing attempt at writing in English, where is your punctuation?
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by beyknowles2)
XD Oh my, I totally tried and even apologised in advance. :grumble: ...Well I suppose I can't please everyone. :emo:

Embarrassing attempt at writing in English, where is your punctuation?
'Prsom' :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
nique ta mere
:lol:
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
:lol:
That's not a laughing matter. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anon_98)
That's not a laughing matter. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Si.
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
Si.
Non m..huit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

it's good that he thinks you're stupid. I convince my teachers i'm stupid so they get into the habit of explaining things thoroughly and properly like 3 times and they won't move on until i can repeat it all back to them... it makes me understand better

at the end of the day, i wanna go to uni, they're here to help me, idc what they think of me bc i'll prob never see them again in like a year :P
EllenMay1905
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French A Level is infinitely more difficult than GCSE, and there is a huge jump between the two. However the advantages of learning a second language are immense.

You need to be solid on your tenses and learn vocabulary to do with the topics. Try to read more interesting texts eg online in the language and look up the relevant vocabulary on topics you may find interesting which you may find more motivating. If possible try hard to listen to French on radio or other media, even if you only understand a few words initially your confidence will grow.

The most important thing is to ignore what other people do and don't know, and that's a lesson in life as well. It is irrelevant what they know, it's what you know that matters. We all face situations where someone else knows more than us but you can't afford to drop everything you do because someone else knows more. The more you immerse yourself in a language, the more you will feel that you take ownership for it, and it becomes like a friend to you. You will eventually find words and phrases circulating in your mind as your brain starts to process the language automatically.

Part of it however is wanting to do it, and I get the feeling frankly that perhaps you don't want to do this any more, in which case there is really no point in continuing. A language has to become a passion, a thirst to find out more about it, rather than a chore.
Ally Dewing
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anybody know of any websites which you can use to test your conjugation of verbs into the different tenses?
I desperately need to get on top of them and this would really help!

Thanks in advance
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the tutor will be on your side. he/she will find out what level you are at and help you to progress from there.

bonne chance !

:pierre:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads