The Student Room Group

How to get into the Mathematics IMO team

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about getting into the International Mathematics Olympiad. Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths465Man
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about getting into the International Mathematics Olympiad. Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

SMC->BMO1->BMO2->Trinity Camp->Tonbridge Camp->IMO. You need to be one of the 6 best mathematicians under 18 in the country. And also, you need luck.
What are you getting on SMC etc at the moment?
Reply 2

Thanks

Just be a young maths genius. Thats all
Reply 3

Thanks

Be really really really really good at maths

Spoiler

Thanks

Know how to do maths, proper hard ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renzhi10122
SMC->BMO1->BMO2->Trinity Camp->Tonbridge Camp->IMO. You need to be one of the 6 best mathematicians under 18 in the country. And also, you need luck.
What are you getting on SMC etc at the moment?

Well, I'm only 14 but I attempted to do the SMC '14 paper and got a mid-range silver. I think I was 5-10 marks off a Gold.
Well, I'm only 14 but I attempted to do the SMC '14 paper and got a mid-range silver. I think I was 5-10 marks off a Gold.

Hmm, that's okay given your age. Keep working at maths until you find SMC trivial, and that's when you have a shot at the IMO team.
Reply 10
Hmm, that's okay given your age. Keep working at maths until you find SMC trivial, and that's when you have a shot at the IMO team.

Do you reckon you'll get into the IMO team this year?
Original post by Gome44
Do you reckon you'll get into the IMO team this year?

Hard question to answer. There was only one year 13 in the team last year, so just one place available in the team. There's at least one person who has a better chance than me (he did well in the balkan MO last year) so I guess we'll just have to see. Atm, I'm around bronze medal level, so I have a decent chance, but hopefully I'll get better during the course of this year...

How do you reckon I should go about doing such a thing?
By the way, sorry for not replying to your post quicker.
(edited 8 years ago)

The best students at the Inter maths challenge (and follow-on rounds) get invited to the UKMT Summer schools - that should be your aim next year.

Past papers. Practice is most important at this stage while you're getting silvers. You'll start to come up with techniques and shortcuts. After you're getting 115 to 125 on papers, then do BMO papers, and learn some theorems and proof techniques.
It's fine, it's your thread anyway :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
The best students at the Inter maths challenge (and follow-on rounds) get invited to the UKMT Summer schools - that should be your aim next year.

Yes, my aim this year is to get to the Oxford Summer School. To get to this, I am also aiming for Gold in the IMC and a high mark in the follow-on Olympiad to progress to this stage.
I am using Art of Problem Solving Volume 1: The Basics to do all of the above. Would I be able to do this all with the help of the book and 4-5 months of preparation.

Thanks
Yes, my aim this year is to get to the Oxford Summer School. To get to this, I am also aiming for Gold in the IMC and a high mark in the follow-on Olympiad to progress to this stage.
I am using Art of Problem Solving Volume 1: The Basics to do all of the above. Would I be able to do this all with the help of the book and 4-5 months of preparation.

Thanks

What are you getting on IMC and IMOK?

Thanks

Has your school got the past papers to practise? Are you involved in the team challenges?

Are you on the mentoring scheme?
What are you getting on IMC and IMOK?

First time doing an official IMC. I have not tried any past papers yet for IMC or IMOK. I am thinking of preparing for the IMC first with about a 15% focus on to the following round. If I do well enough to qualify for the follow-on round, I will then focus 100% on it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Has your school got the past papers to practise? Are you involved in the team challenges?

Are you on the mentoring scheme?

I am using the internet for IMC past papers and aiming for 100+ each time. For the other two, they are both a no.

Quick Reply

Latest