The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Accidental double post, sorry! Can't delete on App.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shanzy_91
HELP PLEASE!

I am a mixed race trainee teacher and while I am aware that nationally BME teachers are low in numbers I have never felt it was a problem for me.
During a lesson a Y9 pupil asked me where I am from...innocent enough. I responded with my by telling him my hometown and he kept hammering the question - where am i from? I told him that we could talk about that at break but now we'll do the work. From my previous experience this question either leads to two directs: an interest of my family heritage or potential racism.
The next day the same student asked the same questions again except this time he went further and called me a negro. I promptly told him that it was unacceptable language to use and that was the end of that.

The problem is...I found the word deeply offensive and it did upset me, and it made me feel uncomfortable. I know its not PC but I didn't feel i could tell the class teacher because I wasn't sure if she would understand how i feel.

The question is - do you think the word negro is offensive. should i tell the teacher if it happens again? am i making a fuss out of nothing?Do i have a valid point or not. (if you disagree with me - please only civilized responses, no hating!)

I agree with kpwxx, it sounds to me like you handled the situation really well, considering you were upset by it! So congrats on that, it's probably the one thing that a lot of trainees on my course would struggle with.

In my opinion, I wouldn't think that the word negro is offensive... but that's my opinion as a caucasian, and as an adult I accept that my opinion differs from other people. But another opinion that I hold is that being offended by things is a waste of energy, and so I don't often find myself offended by things because I don't want to be (maybe I'm just too lazy!).

If something is offensive to you, you have every right to talk to the class teacher about it, if for no other reason than she can give you advice on how best to deal with situations like that. Even if she doesn't fully understand how you feel about this particular incidence, chances are that she has felt similar about something.

My advice here is to continue reacting as appropriately as you did - by saying that any language you find offensive is unacceptable, and put a stop to it that way. But at the same time, measure your reaction based on whether you feel that the student is being deliberately offensive, or if they are unaware that they have offended you. And before another situation like this can occur, talk to other teachers about how they handle things that may be perceived as racist or offensive. They have a lot to teach you, and not all of it can be learned by just watching them teach!
I'd say the word negro is definitely offensive and can't imagine that the student doesn't know so as well. You don't get to 13/14 without realising that at the very least it isnt a common word for a black person and should be considering why that is.

Combined with the persistent badgering about where you come from, I don't see any reason to give the student the benefit of the doubt.

Definitely tell your mentor what happened. It could be that this pupil has a history of behaviour like this that won't be dealt with if no one reports them.

I also think emotional things like this come better from an established teacher. As a trainee, you don't need any extra problems that could come from the kids gossipping that "Sir/Miss made a fuss". Whereas an outsider telling them they were offensive can have more impact. It's a disappointing fact of bigotry that often the victims are considered to be oversensitive until someone else stands with them.
Original post by kpwxx
You will already have been doing behaviour management, just in a positive way. Try and think of all the reasons WHY the pupils you've worked with before behaved in a positive way, and that will help you get an idea of what you're aiming for.

The main reasons why will be to do with their upbringing: completely out of teachers' control. No matter how good your behaviour management techniques are, there's no substitute for teaching kids who've been raised to be polite, or kids that have had a bed-time enforced by their parents so they come to school after having had a good night's sleep.

What you say in your last paragraph is very true though. It's definitely brilliant experience to be training in a school with tougher behaviour than you want to be dealing with, though it may put you off the profession.
To the PGCErs, I have one valuable tip for you...Do NOT worry about finding evidence for your teaching standards for now! At this stage it's about finding your feet with life at uni(lectures, and the odd assignment) and your school placement.
(edited 8 years ago)
For applications would it be bad to have your reference from a head of department at a private school? I have an amazing placement at one where I get supervised teaching with feedback
Reply 7407
How and Why are there still places being advertised for 2015 entry????
Original post by kpwxx
You certainly shouldn't feel bad for feeling upset about the use of this word. As a trainee or teacher you have a right to work without feeling harassed or uncomfortable due to things like this.Of course, working as a teacher you will have times when you experience things like this, especially for secondary pupils who are very much figuring out what's ok and what's not, including exploring language. So being able to keep calm and try and detach yourself personally is a good skill which you can work on throughout your career. However, that doesn't mean its OK for the pupil to do it, or that it should be ignored. I would certainly tell the class teacher - there may be a specific policy or way of recording the incident that you need to know about. She is a professional, and should deal with the matter in a professional way. It sounds like you handled it really well at the time, so give yourself a big pat on the back for that. The pupil probably knows full well the potential connotations of the use of the word, although there is a chance they don't and have just heard it through family or friends who never mentioned its potential to offend. For an example, I had heard a potentially offensive term for a mixed race person used by a friend, but not often, as a teenager - I come from an area with a very high percentage of white Caucasian citizens. I had no idea that the term was considered offensive for around a year after I first heard it! So it can happen.The most important thing is consistency... If the pupil says something with an intent to offend or upset a teacher, the response should be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice - you've given me the courage to mention it to the class teacher and see how it goes from there. Thank you for being sympathetic and supportive towards me.

Original post by beanbrain
I agree with kpwxx, it sounds to me like you handled the situation really well, considering you were upset by it! So congrats on that, it's probably the one thing that a lot of trainees on my course would struggle with.In my opinion, I wouldn't think that the word negro is offensive... but that's my opinion as a caucasian, and as an adult I accept that my opinion differs from other people. But another opinion that I hold is that being offended by things is a waste of energy, and so I don't often find myself offended by things because I don't want to be (maybe I'm just too lazy!).If something is offensive to you, you have every right to talk to the class teacher about it, if for no other reason than she can give you advice on how best to deal with situations like that. Even if she doesn't fully understand how you feel about this particular incidence, chances are that she has felt similar about something.My advice here is to continue reacting as appropriately as you did - by saying that any language you find offensive is unacceptable, and put a stop to it that way. But at the same time, measure your reaction based on whether you feel that the student is being deliberately offensive, or if they are unaware that they have offended you. And before another situation like this can occur, talk to other teachers about how they handle things that may be perceived as racist or offensive. They have a lot to teach you, and not all of it can be learned by just watching them teach!

Thanks for your insight. I'm not one to get offended easily and tend not to take offense easily at things but I think the unexpected element of the comment took me by surprise. If it happens again I will mention it to the class teacher and see what advice they have for me. Thank you for being supportive.

Original post by JoannaMilano
I'd say the word negro is definitely offensive and can't imagine that the student doesn't know so as well. You don't get to 13/14 without realising that at the very least it isnt a common word for a black person and should be considering why that is.Combined with the persistent badgering about where you come from, I don't see any reason to give the student the benefit of the doubt.Definitely tell your mentor what happened. It could be that this pupil has a history of behaviour like this that won't be dealt with if no one reports them.I also think emotional things like this come better from an established teacher. As a trainee, you don't need any extra problems that could come from the kids gossipping that "Sir/Miss made a fuss". Whereas an outsider telling them they were offensive can have more impact. It's a disappointing fact of bigotry that often the victims are considered to be oversensitive until someone else stands with them.

Thanks for seeing where I am coming from. The school that I am placed at has a lower than national average BME pupils and I am the only BME staff...but obviously I don't want to come across that I am the one causing the problems, as they've never had any issues at the school before. I will talk to my mentor about this - I hadn't considered that an established teacher in the school having this chat with a pupil might have the desired impact. Thank you for your advice.
Original post by TunaTunnel
For applications would it be bad to have your reference from a head of department at a private school? I have an amazing placement at one where I get supervised teaching with feedback

I don't see how it would make any difference what type of school the teacher works in. So long as they can vouch for you and have positive things about your capacity to be a teacher and work with children/young people then you should be set. Good luck with your application!

It will be fine but private school experience doesn't count towards the 2 week experience needed for most PGCE courses - it needs to be a state school
Original post by Samus2
It will be fine but private school experience doesn't count towards the 2 week experience needed for most PGCE courses - it needs to be a state school

Right now I have:
5 days state secondary
5 days state primary
5 days HMC independent
5 days ISC independent girls only
3 days ISC grammar

going to be volunteering next term in state secondary teaching assistants to boost up the secondary experience.

Oxford want 1 day, Cambridge 5-10, Durham 10. Am I lacking in experience in the state area? (I'm applying for shortage subject).
Right now I have:
5 days state secondary
5 days state primary
5 days HMC independent
5 days ISC independent girls only
3 days ISC grammar

going to be volunteering next term in state secondary teaching assistants to boost up the secondary experience.

Oxford want 1 day, Cambridge 5-10, Durham 10. Am I lacking in experience in the state area? (I'm applying for shortage subject).

I'd say that you're lacking in state school experience personally just because I don't think you can have a true representation of state school education from 5 days in a state secondary school. My old PGCE pal had 6 weeks in the independent sector and only 5 days in secondary state schools and as part of his conditional offer, he needed to obtain a further 10 days in a secondary state school.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Samus2
I'd say that you're lacking in state school experience personally just because I don't think you can have a true representation of state school education from 5 days in a state secondary school. My old PGCE pal had 6 weeks in the independent sector and only 5 days in secondary state schools and as part of his conditional offer, he needed to obtain a further 10 days in a secondary state school.

I wish I could get more, I've had loads of offers from state schools to host me but I lack the time as I start my masters soon and have 9-6 lessons everyday, I could only get experience later in the year. I had to put some private school experience in for if I apply to HMC TT schemes otherwise I'd have no experience in that sector either :frown:
I wish I could get more, I've had loads of offers from state schools to host me but I lack the time as I start my masters soon and have 9-6 lessons everyday, I could only get experience later in the year. I had to put some private school experience in for if I apply to HMC TT schemes otherwise I'd have no experience in that sector either :frown:

Just be aware that it could possibly form part of your offer if you were to be offered a place on the course so you may need to make time for it.

Well done for getting offers from state schools though. I found it incredibly difficult to get state school experience.
Original post by Samus2
Just be aware that it could possibly form part of your offer if you were to be offered a place on the course so you may need to make time for it.

Well done for getting offers from state schools though. I found it incredibly difficult to get state school experience.

That would be a good thing, after my final exams (June) I have around 15 weeks spare I could do experience in.

What subject? I had to turn down 5+ schools and had around 50% accept me for experience, one rejection and others were no reply.
That would be a good thing, after my final exams (June) I have around 15 weeks spare I could do experience in.

What subject? I had to turn down 5+ schools and had around 50% accept me for experience, one rejection and others were no reply.

I'm a history teacher so not a shortage subject. Although the amount of schools desperate for history teachers would make you think otherwise. I also got a range of experience in schools that ranged from outstanding to requires improvement. Definitely think it helped me more seeing schools that were requires improvement.
Original post by Samus2
I'm a history teacher so not a shortage subject. Although the amount of schools desperate for history teachers would make you think otherwise. I also got a range of experience in schools that ranged from outstanding to requires improvement. Definitely think it helped me more seeing schools that were requires improvement.

Ahh, I've not had a chance to go to a 'bad' school yet, all of mine were rated excellent/good in Ofsted, my areas pretty good for schools though. I'm kind of leaning more towards the independent sector right now, and I know my university would give me great shots in that sector.
(edited 8 years ago)
I applied with only 6 days in Year 1 as my only recent school experience (and 4 days in FS that I thought counted beforehand but apparently dont). And my other child-based or informal teaching experience was almost all pre-2007.

I was offered interviews at UEA, Newcastle and Manchester. So if you pick your unis carefully, 5 days in a state school wouldn't be a barrier. And that's for Primary, which certainly isn't a shortage subject.

Edit: I just realised you have loads of classroom experience so the next two paragraphs don't really apply to you. I think you'll be fine if you have 5 days of state school, if the unis you apply to say on their sites that they're happy with that.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh, I've not had a chance to go to a 'bad' school yet, all of mine were rated excellent/good in Ofsted, my areas pretty good for schools though. I'm kind of leaning more towards the independent sector right now, and I know my university would give me great shots in that sector.

If you do a traditional PGCE, you won't get experience in the independent sector.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending