The Student Room Group

need advice on a level retakes

Hello i have some queries that i need help with.

In 2013 i achieved AAB at AS level for sociology, history and eng lit, with the english being the B. In A2 in 2014 i achieved overall BBC and was rejected from the university of exeter and university of liverpool to study law. I had decided what to do with my life and had chosen to retake my A2 grades and a unit in AS history which was C grade to strengthen my overall history grade. I enrolled with the NEC distance learning providers and because i could not retake my eng lit coursework, i decided to enroll on their eng lit course which is with AQA instead of OCR which i already achieved a C in. Also the A2 for my history course with NEC is on a different topic, so i have a whole new A2 to learn rather than redo the same A2 unit from 2014. I then decided to instead work full time from last year until today at a supermarket and the NEC were happy to give me an extension which means i can complete my A2 in history in 2016, whilst retaking sociology A2 by myself. The english a level will have to be done in 1 full year rather than two.

i was wondering what the chances are of me gaining an offer to study law at exeter university or any other top 20 universities as they will see that i completed my A levels in 2014 with BBC grades and then took a year out to work and from september 2015 i have instead been working part time and studying at home with NEC for exams in 2016. Will this disadvantage me because it will mean i have done my a levels over 4 years with a gap year in between, so i will have sat my AS exams once but my A2 exams twice and had a year working full time in between

i am so worried that i will not get any offers due to the fact i am resitting and the length of time it has taken to complete my a levels
Original post by mohammedjaved786
Hello i have some queries that i need help with.

In 2013 i achieved AAB at AS level for sociology, history and eng lit, with the english being the B. In A2 in 2014 i achieved overall BBC and was rejected from the university of exeter and university of liverpool to study law. I had decided what to do with my life and had chosen to retake my A2 grades and a unit in AS history which was C grade to strengthen my overall history grade. I enrolled with the NEC distance learning providers and because i could not retake my eng lit coursework, i decided to enroll on their eng lit course which is with AQA instead of OCR which i already achieved a C in. Also the A2 for my history course with NEC is on a different topic, so i have a whole new A2 to learn rather than redo the same A2 unit from 2014. I then decided to instead work full time from last year until today at a supermarket and the NEC were happy to give me an extension which means i can complete my A2 in history in 2016, whilst retaking sociology A2 by myself. The english a level will have to be done in 1 full year rather than two.

i was wondering what the chances are of me gaining an offer to study law at exeter university or any other top 20 universities as they will see that i completed my A levels in 2014 with BBC grades and then took a year out to work and from september 2015 i have instead been working part time and studying at home with NEC for exams in 2016. Will this disadvantage me because it will mean i have done my a levels over 4 years with a gap year in between, so i will have sat my AS exams once but my A2 exams twice and had a year working full time in between

i am so worried that i will not get any offers due to the fact i am resitting and the length of time it has taken to complete my a levels

just to sum it up, 2013 AS exams achieved AAB, 2014 A LEVELS complete with BBC. A year taken off to do full time work and then from 2015 september have started studying the full eng lit a level with a different exam board, A2 history and A2 sociology which i will sit all the exams for in 2016. Will i be disadvantaged especially considering i want to apply for law at a top 20 university
also if i do not get the offers i want and then on results day i manage AAA or higher, what is the likelihood of me getting a law place at a top 20 uni through adjustement ?

also what if i achieve AAA or higher and then apply for 2017 with my achieved grades, will this make me guaranteed a place at a top 20 uni to study law considering i already have my grades ?
Reply 3
just to sum it up, 2013 AS exams achieved AAB, 2014 A LEVELS complete with BBC. A year taken off to do full time work and then from 2015 september have started studying the full eng lit a level with a different exam board, A2 history and A2 sociology which i will sit all the exams for in 2016. Will i be disadvantaged especially considering i want to apply for law at a top 20 university

I know Nottingham Law don't have a problem with people re-doing Y12 as long as they get the grades they need at the end of Y13 after 3 years. However, I think their standard offer is A*AA.
Original post by Compost
I know Nottingham Law don't have a problem with people re-doing Y12 as long as they get the grades they need at the end of Y13 after 3 years. However, I think their standard offer is A*AA.

i am worried because my grades will be gained over 4 years rather than 3. I however will only sit my A2 twice rather than once and one unit on history from AS. Will there be an issue with this or will they know that i basically took a gap year and then did a year retaking my exams after the gap year is finished.

i hope they see i only sat the A2 exams twice, once at college and once on the second year of my gap, rather than thinking i took 2 gap years working on a levels and exams. seeing as i have not sat any exams on my first gap year but will on my 2nd, will this count as completing my a levels in 3 years or 4 ?
Reply 5

No idea, I suggest you ring up universities and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest