The Student Room Group

Changing university after a foundation year

I'm currently doing a foundation year in computer science at apretty low ranking university (mid 80's) and would like to transferto a better one after I've completed the foundation year. Ideally I would like to transfer to one in the top 40 or a London uni such as Brunel/Royal Holloway or City. I have fair idea on how I'd go about doing this, but what I'd like to ask is has anyone got experience on doing this and has anyone been successful in doing it? Which unis are more lenient or more likely to consider students who want to transfer after foundation year? How important are my A-levels in terms of them considering me? When would be the best time to contact universities I'm interested in ( shall I wait until I've actually done a test or module at my current uni so I can use it and get a reference) Also I've just started so maybe I should wait? Will top unis reject me based on the fact I'm currently studying at a low ranked uni? Really just need some advice on the matter, thank you in advance.P.S I read a thread where someone transferred to Sussex after a foundation year in the same subject area I'm studying. Can anyone tell me if Sussex is known for allowing people in my situation, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kenshinhimura
I'm currently doing a foundation year in computer science at apretty low ranking university (mid 80's) and would like to transferto a better one after I've completed the foundation year. Ideally I would like to transfer to one in the top 40 or a London uni such as Brunel/Royal Holloway or City. I have fair idea on how I'd go about doing this, but what I'd like to ask is has anyone got experience on doing this and has anyone been successful in doing it? Which unis are more lenient or more likely to consider students who want to transfer after foundation year? How important are my A-levels in terms of them considering me? When would be the best time to contact universities I'm interested in ( shall I wait until I've actually done a test or module at my current uni so I can use it and get a reference) Also I've just started so maybe I should wait? Will top unis reject me based on the fact I'm currently studying at a low ranked uni? Really just need some advice on the matter, thank you in advance.P.S I read a thread where someone transferred to Sussex after a foundation year in the same subject area I'm studying. Can anyone tell me if Sussex is known for allowing people in my situation, thank you.
I don't know which unis would consider accepting you after a foundation year elsewhere, but the general principles are:

unis will often expect you to have the same A level grades as their regular applicants, so you will need to check this uni by uni

waiting until you 've got a bit of a track record before contacting possible unis is reasonable

however, as you will be applying for first year entry (foundation being, in effect, year 0) you will need to have applied by 15 January to ensure equal consideration

I'm in the same position and I just emailed a few universities, like the above poster said some do expect you to have the same A2 grades that they would usually expect. Quite a fair few don't though, and assess you after looking at your foundation year.
Original post by Minerva
I don't know which unis would consider accepting you after a foundation year elsewhere, but the general principles are:

unis will often expect you to have the same A level grades as their regular applicants, so you will need to check this uni by uni

waiting until you 've got a bit of a track record before contacting possible unis is reasonable

however, as you will be applying for first year entry (foundation being, in effect, year 0) you will need to have applied by 15 January to ensure equal consideration

Oh right thanks for the advice, I'll apply nonetheless and see what they say anyway.
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I'm in the same position and I just emailed a few universities, like the above poster said some do expect you to have the same A2 grades that they would usually expect. Quite a fair few don't though, and assess you after looking at your foundation year.

Really? That gives me some hope at least. I'll probably apply in that case. Which unis said they'd consider you if you don't mind telling me. Thank you :smile:
Btw think we're going to the same uni atm lol.
Really? That gives me some hope at least. I'll probably apply in that case. Which unis said they'd consider you if you don't mind telling me. Thank you :smile:
Btw think we're going to the same uni atm lol.

So far: Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth and Sussex! I've purposely gone for unis down south though. I also contacted York but they want the correct A2's which kind of misses the point of having gone on a foundation year in the first place..

Omg haha, I knew that I'd seen your user before! :tongue: Well, at least we're in the same boat then!
So far: Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth and Sussex! I've purposely gone for unis down south though. I also contacted York but they want the correct A2's which kind of misses the point of having gone on a foundation year in the first place..

Omg haha, I knew that I'd seen your user before! :tongue: Well, at least we're in the same boat then!

Oh wow that's great! Going to Southampton would be absolutely amazing, really surprised they'd actually consider people in our position but I'm not complaining :biggrin:
Yeah I'm gonna stick to south and only slightly north aswell don't want to be too far away from London tbh. Thanks for giving me hope and I'll definitely apply to some of those. If I somehow get in, you can have some Nandos on me :P
Just a quick question, did they ask for your A-level grades? Cause I read some old posts saying some don't. Also do you mind letting me know if any other top 40 unis accept you (It's just my family wouldn't be willing to let me move unless it's worth it :/ )
Thanks alot!
Oh wow that's great! Going to Southampton would be absolutely amazing, really surprised they'd actually consider people in our position but I'm not complaining :biggrin:
Yeah I'm gonna stick to south and only slightly north aswell don't want to be too far away from London tbh. Thanks for giving me hope and I'll definitely apply to some of those. If I somehow get in, you can have some Nandos on me :P
Just a quick question, did they ask for your A-level grades? Cause I read some old posts saying some don't. Also do you mind letting me know if any other top 40 unis accept you (It's just my family wouldn't be willing to let me move unless it's worth it :/ )
Thanks alot!

I think it's because they have their own foundation year too! Same w/ Sussex, they said that they're more inclined to accept us fd year transfers because we cover similar to modules to their foundation year. No problem and I hope you get in!

I mean, in the email conversations with them they didn't ask but you would have to apply through UCAS so you'd have to declare them, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem because they don't expect high grades as were on a foundation year. And yeah sure, I'll let you know! :smile:
This guy did it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=59476633&highlight=

there isn't any guarantee that uni x will take a foundation year from uni y - they weren't designed as a transferable qualification
Just thought I'd update - I went back to school and asked my teacher what his opinion was and he said I should focus on getting good test results and then seeing if I want to apply somewhere else. I have tests in 2 of my modules mid-November, and I genuinely am not enjoying myself at the uni to be honest, so I'm probably going to ask for a transfer request after then.
Just thought I'd update - I went back to school and asked my teacher what his opinion was and he said I should focus on getting good test results and then seeing if I want to apply somewhere else. I have tests in 2 of my modules mid-November, and I genuinely am not enjoying myself at the uni to be honest, so I'm probably going to ask for a transfer request after then.

Hey, thanks for keeping me updated. Sorry about taking so long to reply, haven't been on TSR for a while. I'm now considering applying near the end of my course or perhaps waiting till I've finished first year to transfer due to family/financial issues so I'll see what happens there. Hopefully I'm good to just switch after this foundation year cause I'm not enjoying myself either. Anyway how has the process been going for you so far? What has your teacher told you? Did you do good in those tests? I've done two so far and got 66% in one and 62% in the other so they're a bit average atm, although that is due to me not doing enough preparation for them. (I know I'm an idiot :ashamed:)
Hey, thanks for keeping me updated. Sorry about taking so long to reply, haven't been on TSR for a while. I'm now considering applying near the end of my course or perhaps waiting till I've finished first year to transfer due to family/financial issues so I'll see what happens there. Hopefully I'm good to just switch after this foundation year cause I'm not enjoying myself either. Anyway how has the process been going for you so far? What has your teacher told you? Did you do good in those tests? I've done two so far and got 66% in one and 62% in the other so they're a bit average atm, although that is due to me not doing enough preparation for them. (I know I'm an idiot :ashamed:)

I've only had one result back and that was a group assignment, I got 62% :s-smilie: not what I was hoping for but many more results to come! I've applied on UCAS, well almost, my maths teacher/lecturer should be sending the reference this week hopefully! I have a test next week too but my UCAS will have been sent by then but hopefully it's better than the groupwork!
I rang up all the uni's I wanted to go to and they said that they literally just want me to pass the foundation year and just to apply through UCAS as normal :biggrin: over the moon!!!
I've only had one result back and that was a group assignment, I got 62% :s-smilie: not what I was hoping for but many more results to come! I've applied on UCAS, well almost, my maths teacher/lecturer should be sending the reference this week hopefully! I have a test next week too but my UCAS will have been sent by then but hopefully it's better than the groupwork!

Ohh nice, good luck I hope you get your offers. Yeah it's a good idea getting the reference from your maths teacher cause the maths stuff is pretty easy. Hmm maybe I should apply just incase I do decide to switch, my situation is kinda messy. Do you think I can still apply through ucas? Btw did you have to write another personal statement?
Original post by AdorableDrip
I rang up all the uni's I wanted to go to and they said that they literally just want me to pass the foundation year and just to apply through UCAS as normal :biggrin: over the moon!!!

Omg that's amazing, I thought a lot of unis were kind of hesitant to offer places to foundation year students. If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying? And which unis did you apply to?
Omg that's amazing, I thought a lot of unis were kind of hesitant to offer places to foundation year students. If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying? And which unis did you apply to?

Studying at UEL and applied to man met, Bradford, Salford, Chester and Liverpool John moores. So not the highest ranking ones but that's due to my GCSE maths only being C and not B, I know uni of Manchester take on foundation as well!
Original post by AdorableDrip
Studying at UEL and applied to man met, Bradford, Salford, Chester and Liverpool John moores. So not the highest ranking ones but that's due to my GCSE maths only being C and not B, I know uni of Manchester take on foundation as well!

Ohh right, yh those are still a lot higher than UEL though so not bad, Bradford is decent my friend goes there and really likes it. Yeah I heard about Manchester accepting foundation year people aswell but wasn't sure, might be worth giving them a call aswell I suppose.
Did you have to get references from all of your module teachers or only one or two?

Hey, I did exactly this while I was studying on the physics foundation year at Manchester three years ago. I'm now at Edinburgh :smile: It's definitely possible. I just applied through the normal route and uploaded onto UCAS the various modules I was studying.
Did you have to get references from all of your module teachers or only one or two?

I just got a reference from my personal tutor. I've had offers and she's not even put my predicted grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending