The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
If you do a traditional PGCE, you won't get experience in the independent sector.

Not true, there was a guy at the school when I was there doing his pgce at Sunderland and the independent school was his first placement
Original post by Samus2
If you do a traditional PGCE, you won't get experience in the independent sector.

No, we get a whole stream of trainees at my school.
Original post by Samus2

Yeah like the others said, we had people placed in private schools.

I think days of experience required really varies. I had about eight days and that was never a problem. I know some with less. It is really hard to get experience and seems unfair as it's mostly based on luck. I rang pretty much every school within a 20 mile radius and only two gave me any.

They're doing something with Schools Direct schools in my area where you can pay for pre-pgce experience. I think it's disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On another note. I understand with apply 1 you get 3 choices, do you have to submit all your choices at once or can you submit them at different times.
Original post by TunaTunnel
On another note. I understand with apply 1 you get 3 choices, do you have to submit all your choices at once or can you submit them at different times.

All at once I believe.
Not true, there was a guy at the school when I was there doing his pgce at Sunderland and the independent school was his first placement

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, we get a whole stream of trainees at my school.

Original post by Airfairy
Yeah like the others said, we had people placed in private schools.

I think days of experience required really varies. I had about eight days and that was never a problem. I know some with less. It is really hard to get experience and seems unfair as it's mostly based on luck. I rang pretty much every school within a 20 mile radius and only two gave me any.

They're doing something with Schools Direct schools in my area where you can pay for pre-pgce experience. I think it's disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? We were told on my PGCE that under no circumstances would we be placed in a private school and that the PGCE had to be done in a state school.

The only way around his from what I was aware was to complete an independent PGCE/do a schools direct route in an independent school
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Samus2
Really? We were told on my PGCE that under no circumstances would we be placed in a private school and that the PGCE had to be done in a state school.

You wouldn't get both placements at a private school, but one is certainly fine. Our school is linked with three different universities.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You wouldn't get both placements at a private school, but one is certainly fine. Our school is linked with three different universities.

Was yours a HMC or ISC school?
Was yours a HMC or ISC school?

HMC
I would agree that having days and days of experience probably isnt worth it. That said, i and a few others on my course had spent a year working in schools to see if it was really for us, and i feel like that experience is continuing to be valuable into my NQT year. I personally got a job as a cover supervisor at an inner city - never had problems with behaviour management last year, or (touch wood) this year so far. Make of that what you will!
Hi everyone

I've recently started my PGCE (post 16) and when I'm in class, with students, I enjoy it. I haven't done any real lead teaching yet, mostly team teaching with my mentor. However, I get so incredibly anxious about it the day before. I do suffer from anxiety although I've had really useful therapy over the years and it hasn't flared up for a while. I knew the PGCE might mean it would come back, but I wasn't going to let it stop me. I just wondered if there were any other anxiety inflicted teachers or trainees who might be able to advise or signpost me? It's just nice to know I'm not alone. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I intend to!

I am passionate about teaching and about my subject. I'm in a challenging placement setting but I do really like my mentor and the kids. I've been there for about 3 weeks now. I don't deliver classes on my own yet but I think I will be soon. In a way, it's more being judged by my mentor that scares me. I have my first lesson to do on my own on Wednesday. It's only a small group, 2 students, who need GCSE revision help. I'm totally new to teaching 'officially' my experience is based on ESOL community classes which never required 'proper' lesson planning etc. I love the social community side of things which I think is why I was placed where I am. I would rather get to grips with behaviour management etc on placement anyway. I don't want my anxiety to hold me back ever but I do suffer quite badly with it and always have.

"I have been terrified every moment of my life but I have never let it stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do" - George O'Keefe. Love that quote!

I did briefly wonder if I've chosen the wrong age group but I know working with kids or secondary schoolers can be just as challenging, and my classes are much smaller, which I think does help.

Anyway, that's me currently... very grateful to be doing this course but feeling terrified. Weird. I've wanted to do this for ages.
Original post by duckybird
Hi everyone

I've recently started my PGCE (post 16) and when I'm in class, with students, I enjoy it. I haven't done any real lead teaching yet, mostly team teaching with my mentor. However, I get so incredibly anxious about it the day before. I do suffer from anxiety although I've had really useful therapy over the years and it hasn't flared up for a while. I knew the PGCE might mean it would come back, but I wasn't going to let it stop me. I just wondered if there were any other anxiety inflicted teachers or trainees who might be able to advise or signpost me? It's just nice to know I'm not alone. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I intend to!

I am passionate about teaching and about my subject. I'm in a challenging placement setting but I do really like my mentor and the kids. I've been there for about 3 weeks now. I don't deliver classes on my own yet but I think I will be soon. In a way, it's more being judged by my mentor that scares me. I have my first lesson to do on my own on Wednesday. It's only a small group, 2 students, who need GCSE revision help. I'm totally new to teaching 'officially' my experience is based on ESOL community classes which never required 'proper' lesson planning etc. I love the social community side of things which I think is why I was placed where I am. I would rather get to grips with behaviour management etc on placement anyway. I don't want my anxiety to hold me back ever but I do suffer quite badly with it and always have.

"I have been terrified every moment of my life but I have never let it stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do" - George O'Keefe. Love that quote!

I did briefly wonder if I've chosen the wrong age group but I know working with kids or secondary schoolers can be just as challenging, and my classes are much smaller, which I think does help.

Anyway, that's me currently... very grateful to be doing this course but feeling terrified. Weird. I've wanted to do this for ages.

Hi.

I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. I'm not doing the PGCE yet, I'm teaching TEFL.

For me, Sunday nights get me anxious. I tend to imagine it worse than it actually is though. Is there anything specific that is worrying you, or is it the unknown?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

I think to an extent with general "typical" anxious feelings that most teachers get, it is always a help to just get in front of the kids. When you have them there it almost takes you away from the worry and refocusses you on what's important - them! Also, anxiety or none most trainees have moments of panic, what if I can't do it, what if I've made the wrong choice, as well, so feel reassured that most trainees and teachers will be able to empathise with you to an extent.

There have definitely been past posters on this thread who have dealt with anxiety and related health issues while training and teaching, so definitely have a look through for those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
Hi.

I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. I'm not doing the PGCE yet, I'm teaching TEFL.

For me, Sunday nights get me anxious. I tend to imagine it worse than it actually is though. Is there anything specific that is worrying you, or is it the unknown?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is the unknown. When I was in therapy we identified how much I like being in control and hate uncertainty; I agree with you that I definitely imagine it's worse than it actually is. I get on with the students and I know that will form the basis of my teaching practice, I'm not naturally very assertive so that plays on my mind too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kpwxx
I think to an extent with general "typical" anxious feelings that most teachers get, it is always a help to just get in front of the kids. When you have them there it almost takes you away from the worry and refocusses you on what's important - them! Also, anxiety or none most trainees have moments of panic, what if I can't do it, what if I've made the wrong choice, as well, so feel reassured that most trainees and teachers will be able to empathise with you to an extent.

There have definitely been past posters on this thread who have dealt with anxiety and related health issues while training and teaching, so definitely have a look through for those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that is really true. I also know that when in class, the students are pretty good. I think in a way the way some of my colleagues talk about them intensifies my worry, like they're really naughty, and they definitely have their challenges but they do seem to crack on. It's engaging them that is the real issue I think.

Thanks, I think that is true from what I've experienced so far. Obviously I always knew the course would be tough, with or without anxiety issues. I have, in my adult life, addressed my issues and been to therapy etc taken medication at points so I am very aware of my 'pressure points' etc but it was really time to bite the bullet with teaching. I'm at the age where most of my friends have a steady job or even a good career and I've been floating around doing pointless office jobs whilst volunteering and trying to figure out what I want to do. Teaching has always appealed, and I do seem to be good at building good rapports with people who are generally struggling (I've done some counselling work myself).

I think I'm going to try my uni's wellbeing services at some point, maybe it will just help to speak to someone again whilst in transition. I moved away from home to do the course too, so financially and in terms of missing my family that doesn't help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone

Ok...where to start. I've had anxiety since I was 18, so I felt the same nerves during my PGCE. I did a secondary PGCE and I now teach A-Level.

Everyone gets nervous on a PGCE. Teaching nerves are normal...but with anxiety it seems amplified times ten. Thing is, I don't know about you, but I never wanted to complain or bring up my anxiety because I didn't want to make it seem as if I was saying "no but my nerves are worse than yours!". I would have sleepless nights, I'd be physically ill (vomiting for an official obs) and that was all on anti-anxiety meds (that don't work mind you). I cannot tell you the amount of times I was literally seconds away from just walking out and leaving so I didn't have to teach a certain class. But I didn't, and that's the main thing.

I think the advice I would give is to think "what's the worst that can happen?". All the worrying I did...was all for nothing. It ALWAYS ended up going okay, or even better than I expected. Believe in yourself and remember...they've seen it all before. You are training, you are expected to mess up sometimes. If you do humiliate yourself, remember that no-one will be thinking about it to the extent that you are. Us anxiety suffers make things hard on ourselves.

One thing I will say, is that I think the PGCE has made me stronger and helped my anxiety. I think once you get past first placement it becomes a lot easier to stand up and teach. You may also find that it is the adult in the room making you more nervous than the students. That was the case for me. If you have an understanding mentor, they may let you teach on your own to see how you get on. I've found that acting yourself is even more important for A-Level, and if I had someone in the room with me I would hold back.

Like kpwxx has said, we have spoken about anxiety a few times on this thread so feel free to do a search. It is hard...but it gets easier, and it's an immensely satisfying journey, even more so when you've got anxiety and you realise you've beaten it and become a bad ass teacher.
Ok...where to start. I've had anxiety since I was 18, so I felt the same nerves during my PGCE. I did a secondary PGCE and I now teach A-Level.

Everyone gets nervous on a PGCE. Teaching nerves are normal...but with anxiety it seems amplified times ten. Thing is, I don't know about you, but I never wanted to complain or bring up my anxiety because I didn't want to make it seem as if I was saying "no but my nerves are worse than yours!". I would have sleepless nights, I'd be physically ill (vomiting for an official obs) and that was all on anti-anxiety meds (that don't work mind you). I cannot tell you the amount of times I was literally seconds away from just walking out and leaving so I didn't have to teach a certain class. But I didn't, and that's the main thing.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think all teachers feel nervous before a lesson, for someone who has issues with uncertainty I haven't picked the right profession haha.. mind you, that would be playing it safe, and life is too short (cringe!).
I have taken two different sets of anti-anxiety meds in the past. One set made me just feel a bit numb, the other was quite successful, and I successfully (as successful as it gets anyway) weaned myself off.

I relate to what you're saying. Not so much at the moment, as I'm not officially observed until early November, but I definitely have had moments already when I feel like I need to leave.

I think the advice I would give is to think "what's the worst that can happen?". All the worrying I did...was all for nothing. It ALWAYS ended up going okay, or even better than I expected. Believe in yourself and remember...they've seen it all before. You are training, you are expected to mess up sometimes. If you do humiliate yourself, remember that no-one will be thinking about it to the extent that you are. Us anxiety suffers make things hard on ourselves.

Amen to that. I have already humiliated myself, but looking back on it now, it was quite funny. I guess I have to elaborate after confessing to that!! In my very first week, we were short of tutors. I was asked to help cover a class, and was given ten minutes to try and find clips or activities for said class. I typed a few things into YouTube, copied the links, went to the class. I played the clips at the relevant time.. only to find one clip (which was intended to be funny) had extremely bad language and sexual references. I could have DIED. The other tutors/manager woman was covering was clearly horrified and I was torn between laughing and crying, whilst maintaining outward composure. The students loved it, obviously, because it was forbidden. I apologised afterwards to the tutor... I didn't beat myself up too much because it was so rushed and I was given no instructions or timing, however, my reflection is : always watch a clip before you play it to a class!!!

I struggle identifying what should be challenged and when. In a way, I'm looking forward to when it's just me teaching alone but I'm sure when the time comes I'll be terrified!

One thing I will say, is that I think the PGCE has made me stronger and helped my anxiety. I think once you get past first placement it becomes a lot easier to stand up and teach. You may also find that it is the adult in the room making you more nervous than the students. That was the case for me. If you have an understanding mentor, they may let you teach on your own to see how you get on. I've found that acting yourself is even more important for A-Level, and if I had someone in the room with me I would hold back.

Like kpwxx has said, we have spoken about anxiety a few times on this thread so feel free to do a search. It is hard...but it gets easier, and it's an immensely satisfying journey, even more so when you've got anxiety and you realise you've beaten it and become a bad ass teacher.

Thank you. I only have the one placement apart from a two week alternative placement next year, mind you. In a way that seems tougher as you start off nervous and have to exert confidence and assertiveness whereas if I had another placements I'd hopefully be more confident and they wouldn't know me as a total newbie! Never mind!

I do think being with another teacher definitely affects me. My mentor is really lovely, actually, so I am lucky. She has been very encouraging and is happy for me to take over parts of lessons or whole lessons. I just need to bite the bullet and accept the offer.

I will look through the thread. I definitely think as well as all the practical and theoretical things I am learning on this course I will learn a lot about myself. I just hope I get through it successfully!
Just wanna add on to what airfairy said - my PGCE experience changed so much after christmas. I was still working hard and still nervous but everything was just that little bit easier.

I've got my first official NQT observation tomorrow and I'm nervous but I know I'll be fine.
Thanks guys. I've read through the forum this evening and it is comforting to know others understand. I know it's so early into my course and I have to give it a chance. I just hate this physical sickness feeling I keep experiencing. However, it is only this bad on a Sunday, once I am into the week generally apart from a few things in the classroom I am too busy or tired to dwell too much and I know that will only intensify.

I feel like a fraud at the moment, whenever anyone asks me about the PGCE I feel obliged to be positive, as I quit my job and moved to do this, plus I've been bleating on for a good year about how much I want to teach. I had a pointless boring desk job for two years, easiest job I've ever had, basically did nothing except surf the web, drink tea and gossip. To my disgust, I've found myself inwardly begging I could rewind and just do that forever, even though in reality I was sick anyway, on meds, hating my life because it felt completely pointless.

I think my plan is going to be take things day by day, week by week. I know Christmas will speed around. I am receiving a bursary this week, well the first installment this week, which is obviously a nice incentive when you feel a bit deflated. I'm at a notoriously challenging placement and I can be proud of myself for anything I do actually manage to achieve. I guess it's too early to make real judgements. I can say quite confidently I won't quit, mostly due to the logistics of the year (signed a contract for a house which I'm tied to until June, bursary payments, etc) so even if it got extremely serious I have serious Eldest Child and working class pride syndrome and cannot bear to let anyone down or owe anyone money (beyond government loans, shrug). I may surprise myself! I would love to be able to read this mild Sunday evening breakdown/cheap therapy log in a year's time, when I'm a relatively confident and happy new FE teacher. Stranger things have happened I guess. :smile:

I think I'll be a regular to the thread, nice to meet you all..
Thanks guys. I've read through the forum this evening and it is comforting to know others understand. I know it's so early into my course and I have to give it a chance. I just hate this physical sickness feeling I keep experiencing. However, it is only this bad on a Sunday, once I am into the week generally apart from a few things in the classroom I am too busy or tired to dwell too much and I know that will only intensify.

I feel like a fraud at the moment, whenever anyone asks me about the PGCE I feel obliged to be positive, as I quit my job and moved to do this, plus I've been bleating on for a good year about how much I want to teach. I had a pointless boring desk job for two years, easiest job I've ever had, basically did nothing except surf the web, drink tea and gossip. To my disgust, I've found myself inwardly begging I could rewind and just do that forever, even though in reality I was sick anyway, on meds, hating my life because it felt completely pointless.

I think my plan is going to be take things day by day, week by week. I know Christmas will speed around. I am receiving a bursary this week, well the first installment this week, which is obviously a nice incentive when you feel a bit deflated. I'm at a notoriously challenging placement and I can be proud of myself for anything I do actually manage to achieve. I guess it's too early to make real judgements. I can say quite confidently I won't quit, mostly due to the logistics of the year (signed a contract for a house which I'm tied to until June, bursary payments, etc) so even if it got extremely serious I have serious Eldest Child and working class pride syndrome and cannot bear to let anyone down or owe anyone money (beyond government loans, shrug). I may surprise myself! I would love to be able to read this mild Sunday evening breakdown/cheap therapy log in a year's time, when I'm a relatively confident and happy new FE teacher. Stranger things have happened I guess. :smile:

I think I'll be a regular to the thread, nice to meet you all..

Trust me, you don't have to have enthusiasm. I feel like everyone is faking it. I always felt like the odd one out. I never wanted to be a teacher; I did it because I had nothing else to do, to be honest. It is harder if you have constant insecurity about if it's the career for you, but I guess you just roll with it. Then again, if you ever don't want to carry on then don't feel you have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending