The Student Room Group

Can i get into oxbridge?

I do maths further maths economics chemistry a level and im not sure if i am doing enough work
i have found the transition to a levels very difficult as the subjects are very demanding and i am getting tonnes more homework than im used to and become extremely exhausted
i know a levels require a lot of work so i have tried to hit the ground running hence including homework i do about 16 hours homework/revision outside class a week whcih is about 5 hours of chem and further maths and 3 hours maths and economics a level a week but i am still finding the transition very hard...
will it become easier and am i doing enough and is the amount im doing going to pay off or is more needed and willi be able to get into oxbridge
i got 5A*s 3As at gcse
Original post by youreanutter
I do maths further maths economics chemistry a level and im not sure if i am doing enough work
i have found the transition to a levels very difficult as the subjects are very demanding and i am getting tonnes more homework than im used to and become extremely exhausted
i know a levels require a lot of work so i have tried to hit the ground running hence including homework i do about 16 hours homework/revision outside class a week whcih is about 5 hours of chem and further maths and 3 hours maths and economics a level a week but i am still finding the transition very hard...
will it become easier and am i doing enough and is the amount im doing going to pay off or is more needed and willi be able to get into oxbridge
i got 5A*s 3As at gcse

Oxbridge isn't just about the grades as virtually everyone called to interview has excellent grades and most applicants will still be rejected. I'd recommend to sign up to Oxbridge interview practice courses and read extensively around the course you plan to apply for. This is because you'll be up against applicants who know their subject inside out and will be able to think outside the box at interview.
Reply 2
Your GCSEs are quite good and you seem to be working hard at your A Levels. You are doing about the right amount of work per week. I cannot say if you will get into Oxbridge but all I can say is make sure you make yourself look amazing with extra - curriculars so you stand out from the rest- don't forget many other people will be applying with good GCSEs and A Levels.
Original post by mark.98
Your GCSEs are quite good and you seem to be working hard at your A Levels. You are doing about the right amount of work per week. I cannot say if you will get into Oxbridge but all I can say is make sure you make yourself look amazing with extra - curriculars so you stand out from the rest- don't forget many other people will be applying with good GCSEs and A Levels.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Oxbridge don't give much of a rat's arse about extra-curriculars.
Reply 4
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Oxbridge don't give much of a rat's arse about extra-curriculars.

At interview you are likely to be asked why you are suitable for the subject you're applying to. Certainly on their own, ECs won't do much - Oxbridge is interested in outstanding academic potential. However if you can relate an EC to something that you learnt that makes you a suitable applicant to the course you're applying for, it will help to make you stand out.
e.g. If applying to medicine- it would be good to be able to say in your interview if it cropped up - I volunteered in a care home - then expand on this saying: it helped me understand how to deal with older patients etc.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

They don't.
Original post by mark.98
At interview you are likely to be asked why you are suitable for the subject you're applying to. Certainly on their own, ECs won't do much - Oxbridge is interested in outstanding academic potential. However if you can relate an EC to something that you learnt that makes you a suitable applicant to the course you're applying for, it will help to make you stand out.
e.g. If applying to medicine- it would be good to be able to say in your interview if it cropped up - I volunteered in a care home - then expand on this saying: it helped me understand how to deal with older patients etc.

I think you've got super-curricular and extra-curricular mixed up......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending