The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lebryant
I got 5A* 4A 1Bfor GCSE's. I got AABB for AS-levels and I will probably be predicted AAA/AAB. Done Work experience, Voluntary stuff, Duke of Edinburgh (Silver), NCS, Sports ect. If 550 people apply and there are only 30 places what are the chances for me. UKCAT was 2450.

They use it to some extent for eg comparing between two candidates
But not solely based on it.
You must satisfy 3 of their eligibility criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Same here!
I have a feeling we will :biggrin:
I honestly do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed,
We've worked hard for this so let's just carry on with our a levels and hope for the best x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
Fingers crossed,
We've worked hard for this so let's just carry on with our a levels and hope for the best x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1443894646.684200.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1443894666.924817.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Guys, i need some opinions. I am applying to soton and uea foundation med and then 3 other biomedical courses.
GCSES: 1 A*, 10 B's
AS LEVEL: ABDEE (DROPPED ONE E)
A LEVEL PREDICTIONS: AABBae

Do you think its wise for me to apply with these gcse grades especially? they meet the minimum requirements however one teacher was concerned and said i should apply for 5 biomed instead. then another teacher said give it a shot. Im not sure. Help?
Original post by medhopeeful
Hello Guys, i need some opinions. I am applying to soton and uea foundation med and then 3 other biomedical courses.
GCSES: 1 A*, 10 B's
AS LEVEL: ABDEE (DROPPED ONE E)
A LEVEL PREDICTIONS: AABBae

Do you think its wise for me to apply with these gcse grades especially? they meet the minimum requirements however one teacher was concerned and said i should apply for 5 biomed instead. then another teacher said give it a shot. Im not sure. Help?

GCSEs are fine
It's the D and E at as level that look slightly concerning.. But it may be worth a shot - it depends on the strength of the other components such as personal statement which is given very heavy weighting..
So you're predicted Bs from Ds and Es?
Have you sat your ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone :smile: I am a student on BM6 this year so feel free to ask any questions. I know Neo is the one for this thread but feel free to ask any questions or PM me if you want. My aim is not to be one of those students that gets advice here then just disappears but I am settling in so I may take a day or two to reply.
Original post by Lebryant
I got 5A* 4A 1Bfor GCSE's. I got AABB for AS-levels and I will probably be predicted AAA/AAB. Done Work experience, Voluntary stuff, Duke of Edinburgh (Silver), NCS, Sports ect. If 550 people apply and there are only 30 places what are the chances for me.

Don't worry about your UKCAT. Your personal statement is more important than all of these as once you've met minimum entry requirements they are disregarded and you are equal to everyone else.
UKCAT: 707.5

Yes, predicted B's on D and E grades as I missed a large slot of lessons due to illnesses and an operation, i will be resitting the modules too
and I have a lot of work experience? thats my only strength I think

Yes, predicted B's on D and E grades as I missed a large slot of lessons due to illnesses and an operation, i will be resitting the modules too

You should apply.
I think tbh, I feel it's unfair when people with AAAA at AS apply because this programme is for people like you and me, so you definitely have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mel1312
Hello everyone :smile: I am a student on BM6 this year so feel free to ask any questions. I know Neo is the one for this thread but feel free to ask any questions or PM me if you want. My aim is not to be one of those students that gets advice here then just disappears but I am settling in so I may take a day or two to reply.

Hey, what are your stats may i ask?

Your ukcat is amazing!!!
I'm sure the strengths in your other parts of app will outweigh the AS grades
So don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty123A
Hey, what are your stats may i ask?

Hiya,

GCSE Wise: 5A*s, 3As and 3Bs

AS: AABB

A2: ABBa*a

UKCAT: 595.5

But don't worry about stats as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements needed you shall be fine :smile: Your personal statement is what gets you the interview so feel free to send it over!
Original post by Mel1312
Hiya,

But don't worry about stats as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements needed you shall be fine :smile: Your personal statement is what gets you the interview so feel free to send it over!

Yay! I feel like I have a chance now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mel1312
Hiya,

This gives me hope. Your stats are really good!!
The fact that it's solely based on personal statement makes Me happy!
Also, do they not weigh GCSEs at all??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Yay! I feel like I have a chance now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant :smile: You do as long as you show the admissions staff why you deserve that interview.
Do I stand a chance? My stats are:

GCSEs : 3A*s, 8A's, 1B
A levels: ABC
AS:ab
UKCAT: 547.5

I have quite a lot of work experience.

:redface:
is it true all that determines an interview is the personal statement?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 1lastchance
Do I stand a chance? My stats are:

GCSEs : 3A*s, 8A's, 1B
A levels: ABC
AS:ab
UKCAT: 547.5

I have quite a lot of work experience.

:redface:
is it true all that determines an interview is the personal statement?

Yes of course you have a chance!

Why not
Your GCSEs and a levels meet the minimum requirements now it's all to do with your personal statement
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
Yes of course you have a chance!

Why not
Your GCSEs and a levels meet the minimum requirements now it's all to do with your personal statement
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I meant my AS levels were ac, not ab. Do I still stand a chance? Sorry for all the questions.:colondollar:
Original post by 1lastchance
Sorry I meant my AS levels were ac, not ab. Do I still stand a chance? Sorry for all the questions.:colondollar:

Yes.. If you're predicted BBC you're fine
Trust me

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend wants to apply, can she apply if she's taken a gap year?
But in the previous year she applied to uni and was rejected. So she took a gap year.
Is this possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending