The Student Room Group

Road legal quadbikes?

Are there any road legal quadbikes you can drive on the streets of London?

I googled some and it did come up with loads of suggestions but i've always been told by everyone i've spoken to that they're not legal. :redface:

If it's road legal, i'm ordering my provisional, getting them driving lessons, pass that **** and be the next batman... :colone:

if not i guess i'll stick to a motorbike, they're awesome too :h:
Reply 1
Yes, there are road legal ones. They must be registered with DVLAs, have number plates and be taxed and insured.
Reply 2
Original post by Advisor
Yes, there are road legal ones. They must be registered with DVLAs, have number plates and be taxed and insured.

:biggrin: oh my gosh that's AWESOME

I am deffo getting one - thank you!
Original post by z33
:biggrin: oh my gosh that's AWESOME

I am deffo getting one - thank you!

You still need a car licence to drive one though, you're not going to convince anyone it's for agricultural purposes in London!
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyBen
You still need a car licence to drive one though, you're not going to convince anyone it's for agricultural purposes in London!

haha true that :tongue:

i'll work on getting that license then! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Why? Its like all the downsides of a motorbike with none of the upsides lol. The only advantage quads have over bikes is stability when traversing extremely steep hills, I doubt this is an issue in London. And you dont need to jump through the rediculus 3DLD licensing hoops, but again if you dont currently have a license at all (and your over 19) you may aswell just go for a motorbike.

Also you will forever have self rightous *******s who think its there god given right to give you a lecture about how they arnt road legal/shouldnt be road legal/your a menace to society etc etc.
Reply 6
Original post by CAElite
Why? Its like all the downsides of a motorbike with none of the upsides lol. The only advantage quads have over bikes is stability when traversing extremely steep hills, I doubt this is an issue in London. And you dont need to jump through the rediculus 3DLD licensing hoops, but again if you dont currently have a license at all (and your over 19) you may aswell just go for a motorbike.

Also you will forever have self rightous *******s who think its there god given right to give you a lecture about how they arnt road legal/shouldnt be road legal/your a menace to society etc etc.

hmmm true that... well idk i've always thought quad bikes were awesome because of batman haha

idk i would love to ride a motorbike too but quadbikes are less dangerous...
i'm 17 so i guess i have a while to think about it. I would so ride an awesome motorcycle but i don't trust myself with that thing :tongue: so i was thinking i could ride a quadbike to start getting used to it and then transitioning to motorcycle when i feel ready :smile:
I'm not sure but I heard they are much more dangerous because you can't manoeuvre out of danger quickly like on a motorbike and you're obviously very exposed
Reply 8
Original post by Hevachan
I'm not sure but I heard they are much more dangerous because you can't manoeuvre out of danger quickly like on a motorbike and you're obviously very exposed

that's a really good point bc in a car you got the protection but in a motorbike you got the ability to dodge fast...

hmmm but then if i was in a crash i wouldn't be stuck in a burning car :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Hevachan

This. Statisticly they are substantially more dangerous. There road handling is a literal bag of dicks, you are to fat to filter properly, if you push them to hard they fall over, if they fall over they tend to crush there riders somewhat, They burn an ungodly amount of petrol vs motorbikes (lots of mechanical losses through AWD differential), they are slow even the big ones only reach 80mph-ish until you get into silly money, there suspensions arnt usually designed for the road so they arnt comfortable aaaand you get wet when it rains.

Unless you live on a farm where there offroad advantages come in to play... just get a motorbike xD. You can get your 2 year CBT at 17 which gives you a 125cc which is more than quick enough for city commuting, they are also mega cheap to buy/run. Then when you turn 19 you can get your A2 done before your CBT expires giving you up to 47bhp (usually 400-500cc bikes)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
that's a really good point bc in a car you got the protection but in a motorbike you got the ability to dodge fast...

hmmm but then if i was in a crash i wouldn't be stuck in a burning car :s-smilie:

True! I read about it in a news paper article about those teens who died using some on the motorway.. it also mentioned when ozzy Osborne fell off one and broke like every bone ever xD
Reply 11
Original post by CAElite
This. Statisticly they are substantially more dangerous. There road handling is a literal bag of dicks, you are to fat to filter properly, if you push them to hard they fall over, if they fall over they tend to crush there riders somewhat, They burn an ungodly amount of petrol vs motorbikes (lots of mechanical losses through AWD differential), they are slow even the big ones only reach 80mph-ish until you get into silly money, there suspensions arnt usually designed for the road so they arnt comfortable aaaand you get wet when it rains.

motorbike it is then :lol:
thanks man! there's not nearly as many pros
Original post by z33
motorbike it is then :lol:
thanks man! there's not nearly as many pros

hehe aye no problem. If i lived in central London id probably just own a bike too since they are fantastic once you get confident enough to filter through city traffic. Commuting NSL roads in the north of Scotland in 10cm of snow on a bike is NOT fun though, so car it is for me until I can afford to own both again xD.
Reply 13
Original post by CAElite
hehe aye no problem. If i lived in central London id probably just own a bike too since they are fantastic once you get confident enough to filter through city traffic. Commuting NSL roads in the north of Scotland in 10cm of snow on a bike is NOT fun though, so car it is for me until I can afford to own both again xD.

yeah London's a good place for a bike, central drivers are dickheads though and will hit and run you even if you wore high visibility clothing! But i guess i'd have to be more careful and drive like everyone's an idiot. I'm glad the worst here is rain! even if it snowed, it never settles and you rarely get ice on major roads. I've seen the snow y'all get though! not biking weather!

well excited to get a bike... hopefully before uni! :biggrin:
Most quads driven in town are driven by chavs who wear big baggy shorts and wifebeaters, and stick to summer . Being a biker I wince ever time I see one and imagine what will happen when they smear themselves over the Tarmac .

Quads are ok if you are an ex biker who is now disabled, but they (as said) have all the disadvantages of bikes and none of the advantages.
Bear in mind you can't filter on a quad, you'll be killed everytime you try to corner in the dry unless it's widened. You can't reverse unless youre on a utility quad, and if you're on a utility you're going to look like a farmer whos lost rather than batman.
The style of quad your looking at is the sports type, like a Yamaha raptor. And although they're fast, do wheelies and are very fun, especially in th rain. They're far too loud for London and would need servicing every week
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending