The Student Room Group

UKCAT - Practice Questions and Useful Resources

Scroll to see replies

Original post by white_o
Thankyou! I know it's not the best score on here hahaa but then again it will hopefully get me where I need to be :P
Ahhh okay ahaa, good plan. Tbh I was like that before my exam but the real thing isn't half as scary as you make it out to be in your mind... I'd say the Medify medium mock is the closest to the real thing, but tbh VR felt quite a bit easier, especially after doing the Medify hard mock, and I found QR a lot better than expected, was actually my highest section at 740. But honestly if you've prepared just be focussed in the real thing and you'll be fine :smile: such a relief when it's over as well ahaa!

Ikr. I'm having mixed feelings atm. On one hand, I can't wait for it to be over and on the other, I don't want to rush it.
I think it will, don't worry! Where do you plan to apply?
Yeah, quite a lot of people have said that QR's way easier in the real thing. Is this true? I hope it is. How many of those wretched bar graph questions did you get? I'm awful at those. :frown:
How was AR and DA?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa
Ikr. I'm having mixed feelings atm. On one hand, I can't wait for it to be over and on the other, I don't want to rush it.
I think it will, don't worry! Where do you plan to apply?
Yeah, quite a lot of people have said that QR's way easier in the real thing. Is this true? I hope it is. How many of those wretched bar graph questions did you get? I'm awful at those. :frown:
How was AR and DA?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was exactly the same, but honestly don't agonise too much over a couple of days. So far my only firm idea is Sheffield and the cut off is 627.5 average so that should be fine.
Yeah QR is definitely better than expected when I did my first ever mock I got 300 hahaha yet in the rewl thing it was 740 so honestly it's so much better. I cant actually remember getting any bar chart ones, and even if you do, just guess, flag and move on to other, easier ones. I mostly got nice tables to read off and do simple calculations.
AR was a bit better than Medify but on average pretty much similar to Medify, and DA was pretty similar as well, I got 670/680 on that, can't quite remember which, but it was pretty decent in the real thing.
Original post by white_o
Yeah I was exactly the same, but honestly don't agonise too much over a couple of days. So far my only firm idea is Sheffield and the cut off is 627.5 average so that should be fine.
Yeah QR is definitely better than expected when I did my first ever mock I got 300 hahaha yet in the rewl thing it was 740 so honestly it's so much better. I cant actually remember getting any bar chart ones, and even if you do, just guess, flag and move on to other, easier ones. I mostly got nice tables to read off and do simple calculations.
AR was a bit better than Medify but on average pretty much similar to Medify, and DA was pretty similar as well, I got 670/680 on that, can't quite remember which, but it was pretty decent in the real thing.

Oh, yeah. Sheffield is good!
Gosh. AR was similar to medify?Please tell me none of those '1 triangle=2 squares and 1 circle= 3 squares' type of questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by white_o

How did you do VR comprehension? I know TFC but comprehension has me stuck like hell. I just can't do it. Do u read the passage first or do u skim it after reading questions? Please help
Oh, yeah. Sheffield is good!
Gosh. AR was similar to medify?Please tell me none of those '1 triangle=2 squares and 1 circle= 3 squares' type of questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahhh I loved the open day ahaa.
Well tbh it was similar to the medium ones on Medify, there were only maybe 2 sets that genuinely stumped me, but on the whole better than expected. Best I got mocks was something like 610 then got 60/70 higher in real thing, so from what I did there weren't really too many of those awful weird ones, and a few simple ones that you could whizz through
Original post by 
How did you do VR comprehension? I know TFC but comprehension has me stuck like hell. I just can't do it. Do u read the passage first or do u skim it after reading questions? Please help

Personally, I read the text in moderate detail then was able to much more quickly answer the comprehension ones. The text in the UKCAT is quite big/bold and well spaced so was a lot better to read and understand than the Medify mocks. Also for comprehension ones, if the text looked too long to read (I got one that was just too long, the rest were pretty good lengths), I'd just guess, flag and move on to smaller ones where I was much more able and confident to properly read and answer, honestly not as bad as you think :smile: it's good to practise with harder ones as well, made me much more confident. I got 670 on VR btw, my lowest one by 10 hahah

Sorry, turns out VR is 680 and DA and AR are 670 ahaa
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by white_o
Yeahhh I loved the open day ahaa.
Well tbh it was similar to the medium ones on Medify, there were only maybe 2 sets that genuinely stumped me, but on the whole better than expected. Best I got mocks was something like 610 then got 60/70 higher in real thing, so from what I did there weren't really too many of those awful weird ones, and a few simple ones that you could whizz through

Oh, okay.
I've been so inconsistent with QR. I hope it's easier than medify! Going to sit the easy mock tomorrow. First mock ever. Eeeeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, okay.
I've been so inconsistent with QR. I hope it's easier than medify! Going to sit the easy mock tomorrow. First mock ever. Eeeeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall, I definitely found it to be :smile: and ahhh good luck ahaa, I got 632 avg on easy mock and 690 in real thing do don't be put off if it's lower than you expect ahaa
Original post by white_o
Overall, I definitely found it to be :smile: and ahhh good luck ahaa, I got 632 avg on easy mock and 690 in real thing do don't be put off if it's lower than you expect ahaa

Did my first mock ever and scored 400 in QR. I think I'm gonna go jump off that cliff now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did my first mock ever and scored 400 in QR. I think I'm gonna go jump off that cliff now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly that's exactly what I was like, tbh my first mock was even worse... Make sure you're tight with the basic maths and then just absolutely hammer timed questions. In the real thing you'll notice a drastic improvement since all the practise resources are much harder :smile: Please don't let it get you down because I had the exact same experience and it just got in the way of successful preparation
Hi guys,
I only signed up for the UKCAT a few weeks ago and I've got my test on Tuesday 6th (the last possible date to do it!). I've been doing bit of training here and there, and did 2 practice papers (in the Kaplan book). I got 2880 and 2820 on these practices and started a practice test online. However, I've found that doing the QR section on the computer just stresses me out so much and I don't do very well at all, but on paper(when using the same timing) I'm fine. I don't know why it is but I get so panic-y in this section, I don't know whether its because I can see the clock ticking down and I just cant do it fast enough.

Would you recommend spending more than 30 seconds on each question, and then guessing the last few? Or, spending 30 seconds on each one and if you go over guess and move on? When doing it on the computer I find myself guessing a substantial number of questions just to get them all answered in the time given.

I really appreciate any advice you can give
Original post by Gezza_O'Brien
Hi guys,
I only signed up for the UKCAT a few weeks ago and I've got my test on Tuesday 6th (the last possible date to do it!). I've been doing bit of training here and there, and did 2 practice papers (in the Kaplan book). I got 2880 and 2820 on these practices and started a practice test online. However, I've found that doing the QR section on the computer just stresses me out so much and I don't do very well at all, but on paper(when using the same timing) I'm fine. I don't know why it is but I get so panic-y in this section, I don't know whether its because I can see the clock ticking down and I just cant do it fast enough.

Would you recommend spending more than 30 seconds on each question, and then guessing the last few? Or, spending 30 seconds on each one and if you go over guess and move on? When doing it on the computer I find myself guessing a substantial number of questions just to get them all answered in the time given.

I really appreciate any advice you can give

Hey, don't worry. I had the same problem. The transition from the book to the computer is a little hard, but keep practicing on the computer and try to complete each sum in 40 seconds. You'll get better with practice! Triage. Solve the easy ones, and flag the ones you don't understand at first. You can always come back to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, don't worry. I had the same problem. The transition from the book to the computer is a little hard, but keep practicing on the computer and try to complete each sum in 40 seconds. You'll get better with practice! Triage. Solve the easy ones, and flag the ones you don't understand at first. You can always come back to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I'm just panicking now because all my other friends applying did it ages ago (like late august) and they're giving me all this last minute advice. I only decided pursue medicine a few weeks ago so am REALLY far behind everyone else and have barely any work experience. I'm not expecting any offers and am planning a productive gap year and reapply next year so I don't know why I'm getting so stressed about this test but idk I feel like if I don't try my absolute best I'll just regret it.

How did yours go? Did you find the QR questions in the exam any easier than the practice questions? That's what everyone seems to be saying but I don't want to rely on that/get complacent
Original post by Gezza_O'Brien
Yeah that sounds like a plan. I'm just panicking now because all my other friends applying did it ages ago (like late august) and they're giving me all this last minute advice. I only decided pursue medicine a few weeks ago so am REALLY far behind everyone else and have barely any work experience. I'm not expecting any offers and am planning a productive gap year and reapply next year so I don't know why I'm getting so stressed about this test but idk I feel like if I don't try my absolute best I'll just regret it.

How did yours go? Did you find the QR questions in the exam any easier than the practice questions? That's what everyone seems to be saying but I don't want to rely on that/get complacent

Haven't done mine yet. It's on Tuesday and I'm positively freaking out. Everyone has told me that the QR's easier in the real thing, so let's hope that's true!
Good luck to you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't done mine yet. It's on Tuesday and I'm positively freaking out. Everyone has told me that the QR's easier in the real thing, so let's hope that's true!

Oh cool we're doing it on the same day! Good luck to you too, not that you'll need it! :tongue:
[QUOTE="Gezza_O'Brien;59752439"]

Oh cool we're doing it on the same day! Good luck to you too, not that you'll need it! :tongue:

Oh trust me, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by white_o
Decent thanks, 2760, 690 average so I'm happy enough with that :P when's yours again, 3rd October??

Hey, I ended up with a 690 too. :P
Where are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I ended up with a 690 too. :P
Where are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No waaay really?:P how you feeling about it? And so far I've got Sheffield, Keele, Leicester and Newcastle if my score is competitive enough and if not possibly Nottingham, you??
Original post by white_o
No waaay really?:P how you feeling about it? And so far I've got Sheffield, Keele, Leicester and Newcastle if my score is competitive enough and if not possibly Nottingham, you??

Yeah. :P
So, VR went okay. Then QR started and I was taking too long. Once I realized this, I panicked. Even considered ending the exam midway and leaving. Calmed myself down in a minute and ended up with a 730 God knows how. I swear I thought I'll get a score in 500's. After QR, I just thought that things can't get any worse. So might as well give it my all and I managed to figure out all the patterns! Ended up with a 810. AR really saved me. I wasn't expecting this as my artistic skills are basically non existent. :P
DA was okay-ish at 660. And Band 2 because I couldn't wait long enough to see my score. :P
I absolutely love Newcastle. You think our score( hah. Sounds too to say.) good enough for Newcastle? And Kings?
I might apply to Keele too. I have 81 hours of work experience.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyway I can improve my score second time round? The level of preparation clearly wasn't good enough. Plus nerves took over. Not sure how I'm going to do this next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending