The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Lúcio
Exactly; we had some quality players even back in the Benitez era.

I said this before - get Klopp in and perhaps he could get a few Dortmund players if we put the money in?
Very optimistic i guess but imagine if we had Hummels to partner Sakho?

Mmm dunno.. I think those Dortmund players have too big a reputation to come to us now. Loads of bigger clubs with CL football would buy them.

The other thing which really bothers me us how many non-special players we buy in terms of attributes under Rodgers. Ings is another one to the list - solid player with decent technique/strike/positioning etc but he's not pacey/height/strength/etc
Original post by Zerforax
Mmm dunno.. I think those Dortmund players have too big a reputation to come to us now. Loads of bigger clubs with CL football would buy them.

The other thing which really bothers me us how many non-special players we buy in terms of attributes under Rodgers. Ings is another one to the list - solid player with decent technique/strike/positioning etc but he's not pacey/height/strength/etc

That's why it would be a little optimistic :tongue:
don't underestimate links between players and former managers though - many would swap to a club slightly below them just to work with a manager they know they've comfortable with.

Exactly - we don't buy enough with our money and we don't buy players who excel really well in worthwhile areas.
No point buying all round players who are slightly above average at everything and if you look at our squad we actually have way too many of those.

I'm just waiting until Coutinho gets injured...
Reply 642
Original post by Lúcio
That's why it would be a little optimistic :tongue:
don't underestimate links between players and former managers though - many would swap to a club slightly below them just to work with a manager they know they've comfortable with.

Exactly - we don't buy enough with our money and we don't buy players who excel really well in worthwhile areas.
No point buying all round players who are slightly above average at everything and if you look at our squad we actually have way too many of those.

I'm just waiting until Coutinho gets injured...

We don't buy enough quality with our money. We buy too many players as it is.

I think that's Rodgers' way though?

Other than Sturridge and Coutinho, who would we be desperate to keep if we had a squad overhaul? Probably be nice to keep Clyne, Sakho and Benteke in terms of quality. Not sure I'd be fussed about the rest.
Yh maybe if we bought specific players with quality in areas we are lacking there'd be less of this 'square pegs in round holes' business (Can)

Posted from TSR Mobile
We don't buy enough quality with our money. We buy too many players as it is.

I think that's Rodgers' way though?

Other than Sturridge and Coutinho, who would we be desperate to keep if we had a squad overhaul? Probably be nice to keep Clyne, Sakho and Benteke in terms of quality. Not sure I'd be fussed about the rest.

Markovic - 20m
Lallana - 25m
Balotelli - 16m
Lovren - 20m

That's 81m worth of signings there, what do we have?
Some kid sent on loan, an awful striker sold and two bench players.

Just consider for a moment the difference if we spent 40m on two players instead?
no i'm not saying we would've necessarily been able to attain two players of that quality, but the change would be astounding.

The difference between a 25m player and a 35-40m player is absolutely huge nowadays.
What if we had offered an extra 5-10m, upped wages and signed Sanchez instead of getting Lallana for instance?
Perhaps i'm being a little too deluded about it but the fact is that we've wasted an obscene amount of money and it makes me so mad thinking about what we "could've" had with said money.

Sturridge and Coutinho are the only truly quality players we have. Losing either would destroy us.
The others that you mentioned have the potential to do great things but as things are now, only the former two players are at the level we wish our first XI as a whole to aspire to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 645
Original post by WesterosWildling
Yh maybe if we bought specific players with quality in areas we are lacking there'd be less of this 'square pegs in round holes' business (Can)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Rodgers doesn't seem to have a coherent plan of what he's trying to achieve.

Original post by Lúcio
Markovic - 20m
Lallana - 25m
Balotelli - 16m
Lovren - 20m

That's 81m worth of signings there, what do we have?
Some kid sent on loan, an awful striker sold and two bench players.

Just consider for a moment the difference if we spent 40m on two players instead?
no i'm not saying we would've necessarily been able to attain two players of that quality, but the change would be astounding.

The difference between a 25m player and a 35-40m player is absolutely huge nowadays.
What if we had offered an extra 5-10m, upped wages and signed Sanchez instead of getting Lallana for instance?
Perhaps i'm being a little too deluded about it but the fact is that we've wasted an obscene amount of money and it makes me so mad thinking about what we "could've" had with said money.

Sturridge and Coutinho are the only truly quality players we have. Losing either would destroy us.
The others that you mentioned have the potential to do great things but as things are now, only the former two players are at the level we wish our first XI as a whole to aspire to.

We offered more than enough for Sanchez - more wages and higher fee than Arsenal but he just didn't want to join us.

We don't need to be spending more on players but spending better. Our scouting team must be awful. I'd take Klopp if it meant we could get Dortmund's scouting team..
We offered more than enough for Sanchez - more wages and higher fee than Arsenal but he just didn't want to join us.

We don't need to be spending more on players but spending better. Our scouting team must be awful. I'd take Klopp if it meant we could get Dortmund's scouting team..

Meh that's fair enough i guess. But even so, if you're looking to spend 30-40m and you have CL football, there's an abundance of players out there to sign.
Now it's too late and we don't have the elite competition to lure players with.

Well spending more generally gives a higher guarantee of a successful signing so i'd rather us spend 5-10m on each player if it means they're actually gonna be useful.
Don't even mention our scouts. It's embarrassing, it really is.

I'd take Klopp regardless; i want him for his managerial ability, don't care about much else.
Reply 647
Original post by Lúcio
Meh that's fair enough i guess. But even so, if you're looking to spend 30-40m and you have CL football, there's an abundance of players out there to sign.
Now it's too late and we don't have the elite competition to lure players with.

Well spending more generally gives a higher guarantee of a successful signing so i'd rather us spend 5-10m on each player if it means they're actually gonna be useful.
Don't even mention our scouts. It's embarrassing, it really is.

I'd take Klopp regardless; i want him for his managerial ability, don't care about much else.

It didn't help Arsenal buy anyone this summer?

Spending more money on a transfer usually means the player is in his peak/has a reputation/his current club don't want to sell. I'm not sure it equates to signings which will be successful because we throw more money at it.
It didn't help Arsenal buy anyone this summer?

Spending more money on a transfer usually means the player is in his peak/has a reputation/his current club don't want to sell. I'm not sure it equates to signings which will be successful because we throw more money at it.

Yeah but that's because they're arsenal and they're allergic to common sense.

Well it's just that - the player is performing better and his reputation/club not wanting to sell is also a strong indicator of his ability.
It's not foolproof but i'm sick of us taking chances and hoping that our signings will grow in to stars.
Let's just buy already established players who have shown top talent, even if it means we spend more.
Reply 649
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah but that's because they're arsenal and they're allergic to common sense.

Well it's just that - the player is performing better and his reputation/club not wanting to sell is also a strong indicator of his ability.
It's not foolproof but i'm sick of us taking chances and hoping that our signings will grow in to stars.
Let's just buy already established players who have shown top talent, even if it means we spend more.

Surely Lallana and Lovren are examples of spending a lot of money but it not working?
Bayern it 5 past Dortmund. Tragic really.
Original post by Lúcio

Congratulations.
Rodgers fired. It was coming tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 653
Rodgers has just left Liverpool
Get Klopp in right now
Reply 656
Original post by sevchenko
Get Klopp in right now

Really really dread that..
Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
Original post by SA-1
Really really dread that..

I'd love to see him in the Prem tbh Liverpool is his level. He'd do great things there
Reply 659
RIP Rodgers

Latest