The Student Room Group

Concerning pain above both ankles, outer-leg... Any thoughts?

Hi all!
I'm doing quite a bit of exercise lately. Physically, I can keep up easily. I don't get tired out easy anymore, I really need to push myself if I want to break a sweat on a cold day... The only problem is, even during light exercise, if I'm using my feet (Jogging or, lately, even normal brisk walks up hills) I get this very painful, sort of stretching sensation on my outer legs, above my ankles.
It can become so painful that after a while, I just have to stop moving all together for half a minute for the pain to go away.

Any med-students got some suggestions what it could be?

Feels a bit like the burning sensation you get when you're exercising muscles. Perhaps it's just a bad case of that - but that wouldn't explain why it's only in that specific spot, would it?

I'm generally unfit... The entire point of this is to change that lol :colondollar:

Thanks,
- Sub
Original post by Subrak
Hi all!
I'm doing quite a bit of exercise lately. Physically, I can keep up easily. I don't get tired out easy anymore, I really need to push myself if I want to break a sweat on a cold day... The only problem is, even during light exercise, if I'm using my feet (Jogging or, lately, even normal brisk walks up hills) I get this very painful, sort of stretching sensation on my outer legs, above my ankles.
It can become so painful that after a while, I just have to stop moving all together for half a minute for the pain to go away.

Any med-students got some suggestions what it could be?

Feels a bit like the burning sensation you get when you're exercising muscles. Perhaps it's just a bad case of that - but that wouldn't explain why it's only in that specific spot, would it?

I'm generally unfit... The entire point of this is to change that lol :colondollar:

Thanks,
- Sub

Well I am not a med-student:tongue:. but I got this pain in my leg joints at the beginning as well, it's completely normal for beginners don't worry, after a while the pain started to decrease and I was running a lot better afterwards.

Or you might be over doing it. How many times a week are you running? and how long?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by That's so mean:(
Well I am not a med-student:tongue:. but I got this pain in my leg joints at the beginning as well, it's completely normal for beginners don't worry, after a while the pain started to decrease and I was running a lot better afterwards.

Or you might be over doing it. How many times a week are you running? and how long?

Aha sorry! I meant to address that to anyone in the same type of circumstance ^^ I try to get at least an hour of brisk walking a day and maybe thirty minutes running in the morning. If you had the same thing and it disappeared after a while, I'll keep at it for another month before I go seek help, at least if it doesn't get any better at least. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Thanks!
- Sub
Original post by Subrak
Aha sorry! I meant to address that to anyone in the same type of circumstance ^^ I try to get at least an hour of brisk walking a day and maybe thirty minutes running in the morning. If you had the same thing and it disappeared after a while, I'll keep at it for another month before I go seek help, at least if it doesn't get any better at least. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Thanks!
- Sub

I am happy to help, try not to run everyday when you first start off give your leg muscles a few days rest to recover. And don't be put off to workout,This type of muscle stiffness or pain is normal, doesn’t last long, and is actually a sign of your improving fitness. It typically lasts between three and five days it doesn't really require medical intervention. However, seek medical advice if the pain becomes a concern and you experience heavy swelling.

Good luck with achieving your end results, I wish you all the best.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Try stretching your calves and shin muscles
Can you tell me a bit more about your background, training status, programme, weight/height etc?

Also, where exactly is the pain - bone, muscle, deep, superficial etc? How long have you had this problem for? Does the pain go anywhere? You've already mentioned it feels like "stretching", is it burning or tight, a sharp pain or dull ache?

Does anything make it better or worse, movements etc, and anything trigger it? How long does it take for the pain to resolve? How severe is it? Does it interfere with training? Has it been getting gradually worse, or began one day and been the same since?

Differential for this is usually relatively straightforward - medial tibial stress syndrome, stress fractures or chronic compartment syndrome. Maybe a specific muscle imbalance as the history sounds a bit weird - I have a feeling you're actually just describing muscle fatigue.

Quote me in reply please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
it could be shin splints :s-smilie:
i have them atm and they feel quite like what you have described. does the pain go away when you don't exercise? if it does it could be compartment syndrome but ovbviously im not a dotor or anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest