The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
I'm just actually bricking it that we'll get Monk.

Going for someone like Monk or Pardew would be the most Liverpool thing ever.

Surely you won't make that mistake for a third time though?
Just let us have Mane and we'll leave you alone :P
Original post by The.Joker
Totally agree with that. He should have been fired in the summer if FSG weren't willing to give him till xmas/jan transfer window.

It's been an up/down ride with BR, the 13/14 season will be burned into my memory forever. More or less enjoyed most games that season and SAS were phenomenal. Such a shame we couldn't win the prem then. I think BR will end up at a mid table team and do well there. He doesn't have the pragmatism and experience yet to become an elite level manager. Liverpool was just a step too far for him.

Yh that 13/14 season was brilliant and won't be forgotten, the football we played was mindblowing. It's a shame he couldn't kick off from there, wanted him to do well but was just too much for him in the end, atleast he will be appreciated for that season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Jurgen Klopp. Your new manager :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Poor decision, deserved a few more games. We're not even a week into October. Should not have been trusted with summer funds.

Agree, if a top tier manager doesn't come into replace him this is a ****ing stupid decision. Why not fire him in the summer - it just seems really bizarre.

Klopp is the bookies favourite at 1/3, and Ancelotti then placed at 3/1. After that they aren't tipping anyone at the moment. If Monk or someone unproven comes in, I'm going back to supporting Swansea on a full time basis.

Very up and down manager, I think he took the club the club to a good level but after the United game he was bringing it down, and he couldn't find how to stop that decline.

He's got a bright future in the game, and will be interesting to see where he goes next. Wouldn't be surprised if he went abroad to try his trade there - that's what he needs is some experience with the game in a different country to improve him as a manager.
Rodgers: I’ve never been told to deliver a top four finish

What the **** rodgers?!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/video-brendan-rodgers-ive-never-been-told-to-deliver-a-top-four-finish/
Original post by sr90
Going for someone like Monk or Pardew would be the most Liverpool thing ever.

Surely you won't make that mistake for a third time though?

Not gonna lie, i'd piss myself if i were any other fan :redface:

I doubt we will - FSG aren't stupid.
They've shown real intent and balls doing this now; surely they wouldn't replace Rodgers unless they were confident that his replacement would our next long term manager.

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

Posted from TSR Mobile

Legit?
Source pls :biggrin:
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Rodgers: I’ve never been told to deliver a top four finish

What the **** rodgers?!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/video-brendan-rodgers-ive-never-been-told-to-deliver-a-top-four-finish/

@The Shed End

#salty
Original post by Gob Bluth
Agree, if a top tier manager doesn't come into replace him this is a ****ing stupid decision. Why not fire him in the summer - it just seems really bizarre.

Klopp is the bookies favourite at 1/3, and Ancelotti then placed at 3/1. After that they aren't tipping anyone at the moment.

Very up and down manager, I think he took the club the club to a good level but after the United game he was bringing it down, and he couldn't find how to stop that decline.

He's got a bright future in the game, and will be interesting to see where he goes next. Wouldn't be surprised if he went abroad to try his trade there - that's what he needs is some experience with the game in a different country to improve him as a manager.

I don't have any worries about the next manager not being top tier. It'll be Klopp or Carlo. Without sounding like an ITK (I'm actually friends with someone who is ITK though - and it hurts me to admit that because I hate the whole twitter culture of football fans today), they sounded out Ancelotti a few weeks ago and recently discussed Klopp. But even without that source, obviously you just look to the bookies as you mentioned above.

Yeah, that United game will probably be the defining game of his tenure here (along with the Arsenal 5-1). It is a shame because we actually played well second half with 10 men and it was Gerrard's red card that cost us what probably would have been a point, and maybe a place in the top four.

What Rodgers needs is better defensive appreciation of the game, and to become a better judge of a player. Those are his two main downfalls. I think he will go on and win a trophy some day, he's a good manager all told and has great gifts for working with young players. Spend some time shadowing in Italy, come back and take over a project of the ilk of West Ham or maybe even Stoke.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown:
Rodgers was reportedly told within an hour of today’s 1-1 draw, both in person by chief executive Ian Ayre and on the phone by director Michael Gordon.

He must have literally just finished the press conference when he was told.
Original post by The.Joker
Totally agree with that. He should have been fired in the summer if FSG weren't willing to give him till xmas/jan transfer window.

It's tricky because I'm actually very pro-decisiveness and correcting mistakes as soon as possible. At this stage it has started to become evident that Rodgers can't handle the job anymore.

However, he hasn't been given a fair shot and he does deserve a chance at it. I still don't think he'd be good enough with that fair shot but he technically does deserve it. It's an immoral sacking but I guess it's for the best of the club, even if we haven't treated him rightly.

The biggest mistake was not getting rid of him in the summer.
I don't have any worries about the next manager not being top tier. It'll be Klopp or Carlo. Without sounding like an ITK (I'm actually friends with someone who is ITK though - and it hurts me to admit that because I hate the whole twitter culture of football fans today), they sounded out Ancelotti a few weeks ago and recently discussed Klopp. But even without that source, obviously you just look to the bookies as you mentioned above.

Yeah, that United game will probably be the defining game of his tenure here (along with the Arsenal 5-1). It is a shame because we actually played well second half with 10 men and it was Gerrard's red card that cost us what probably would have been a point, and maybe a place in the top four.

What Rodgers needs is better defensive appreciation of the game, and to become a better judge of a player. Those are his two main downfalls. I think he will go on and win a trophy some day, he's a good manager all told and has great gifts for working with young players. Spend some time shadowing in Italy, come back and take over a project of the ilk of West Ham or maybe even Stoke.

Yeah I think West Ham would be a really good option for him in the league, but I don't fancy his other options. He'll be in demand for sure though - proven himself in patches at Liverpool and fantastic at Swansea.

It's crazy how much a small thing can change things but you do wonder what may have happened if Gerrard didn't get sent off. The butterfly effect from that is staggering imo.

Will be interesting to see what a new manager does with the players now, and who many get a chance going forward, and who will be given the chop.

Basically this.

He's still young for a manager and although i've criticised him a lot recently, i still think he has great potential, it's just that he's not ready just yet for a top club.
If he can develop defensively like you say, along with becoming a little more tactically adept and flexible, he can have a great career.

He could do really well at a mid-tabled team; he showed it at Swansea and he'll probably show that at his next club.
I just think that when you move to a top club with all this expectation and all this money, it's a big change for a manager like Rodgers. Perhaps it just came a little too quick for him.

In any case, i'm sure we all wish him the best of luck - he managed the most exciting Liverpool team i've ever seen for a season and it was truly a joy to watch us play during that campaign.
Jan Aage Fjortoft Verified account ‏@JanAageFjortoft Am told, by my Germann source, that Klopp will be the next manager of Liverpool Footbal Club. #LFC

This guy is actually quite reliable
Original post by Gob Bluth
Yeah I think West Ham would be a really good option for him in the league, but I don't fancy his other options. He'll be in demand for sure though - proven himself in patches at Liverpool and fantastic at Swansea.

It's crazy how much a small thing can change things but you do wonder what may have happened if Gerrard didn't get sent off. The butterfly effect from that is staggering imo.

Will be interesting to see what a new manager does with the players now, and who many get a chance going forward, and who will be given the chop.

Yeah, like if a year earlier Gerrard hadn't slipped then we'd be talking about Rodgers as a potential Barcelona boss down the line. I still think he'll get another shot at a big club one day (possibly City). I think we're now we're also likely to see Rafa back at Anfield at some point.

I don't read the thread as much as I used to now but I think someone said something like 'outside of Coutinho and Sturridge' they wouldn't care who was replaced from the current squad... I'd say Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Benteke, Sakho, Clyne, Firmino is the makings of a good squad. After that it's really about a manager's talent in getting the best out of lesser players. Klopp did win two titles with Schmelzer at LB and he's never been better than average, and eg from our squad Moreno probably has a higher ceiling too. Really we need a good ball playing CM in, we need to get Milner wide, and we need a proper centreback. We're good to go after that.
Original post by sr90
Jan Aage Fjortoft Verified account ‏@JanAageFjortoft Am told, by my Germann source, that Klopp will be the next manager of Liverpool Footbal Club. #LFC

Facebook informants also confirms this. KloppForKpp is happening!
Original post by sr90

Lets be honest, it's by far the most likely outcome.
Don't want to get my hopes up too much just yet but it has been very probable for a while that Klopp was to be our next manager.

How do you feel about that if it happens?
It's tricky because I'm actually very pro-decisiveness and correcting mistakes as soon as possible. At this stage it has started to become evident that Rodgers can't handle the job anymore.

However, he hasn't been given a fair shot and he does deserve a chance at it. I still don't think he'd be good enough with that fair shot but he technically does deserve it. It's an immoral sacking but I guess it's for the best of the club, even if we haven't treated him rightly.

The biggest mistake was not getting rid of him in the summer.

Yeah it's just mind-blowing that they gave him the financial backing in the summer and yet 8 weeks into the season he's given the sack. The 1-1 draw today wasn't particularly bad, it was more down to a defensive error than a team let down. It's definitely hard to say whether he should have been given more time since football isn't linear. We've seen time and time again how the team makes the same mistakes and BR seems incapable of fixing the problem. One hand I agree with the sacking but on the other it does seem a bit odd with all the 'we support BR' in the summer from the board and FSG. :s

I sincerely hope the best for BR though, a few weeks ago I was very worried and frustrated but I never wanted him to actually get the sack so soon.
Original post by sr90

Don't get my hopes up! I'm kind of expecting Gary Monk to show up as our manager tbh. :lol:

Latest