The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LoveToArgue
Has anyone heard anything from other/past applicantsthing about how long Warwick, LSE, Bristol, Oxford and Durham take to respond to Law applications? I sent my UCAS application off last week and know that the LNAT unis I've applied to (Bristol, Oxford, Durham) can't respond until after my LNAT. I was wondering if whether because Law is so competitive, they take longer to decide etc

Oxford you will hear in the first week of january whether or not you have received an offer, and around 20th Nov-early December whether you have received an interview.

I got my Durham offer on the 28th of Jan which is a pretty standard time, I know that some people received offers at around December/late November time though. Also I remember last year that people were getting Warwick and LSE offers at around the same time (Decemberish), perhaps even earlier.
I hope to apply for Law at Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool and Southampton. I achieved AACd at AS which I was really disappointed with but hoping for AAB-A*AB at A2. Is it okay to take the LNAT before I send off my UCAS application and do you think my AS grades might be too low for these uni's?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by adegunt
Okay so:
After panicking and crying and feeling generally dejected, after talking to many people I've emailed a bunch of universities that I would be interested in, asking if they would make me an offer based on my predicted grades even if they don't meet the entry requirements.

SO my list now stands at:

Liverpool: ABB
Southampton: AAA (but they said my grades are fine for them to make a decision on)
Sheffield: AAA (but they said my grades are fine and I should apply)
Leicester: AAA (said the same thing)
Birmingham: AAA - said that they would be happy to consider me as they often give students the benefit of the doubt regarding grades and even more so if I had a good LNAT)

There's still places like Manchester who have said the same thing, and Lancaster and I haven't looked at Essex. But is my list more sensible do you think? or should I choose another uni that wants BBB? (But they wouldn't be the best for Law)

If you did want to consider Essex, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as I'm in my final year at Essex now :smile:
^Sharmila
i have 2 a*'s and 6 a's at GCSE, AAAD at AS in English Literature, Irish, History and Maths respectively and have since dropped the D. I believe i will be predicted A*AA at A2. I want to apply to law but am unsure as to what good universities to apply to. Can anyone recommend any that my grades would be acceptable too?
Original post by confused5563
i have 2 a*'s and 6 a's at GCSE, AAAD at AS in English Literature, Irish, History and Maths respectively and have since dropped the D. I believe i will be predicted A*AA at A2. I want to apply to law but am unsure as to what good universities to apply to. Can anyone recommend any that my grades would be acceptable too?

In your position, I'd apply to two or three universities that ask for AAA (such as Birmingham, York and Exeter), and perhaps two that ask for AAB (such as UEA and Leicester), and perhaps one that asks for ABB (such as Liverpool) - then if you get accepted into an AAA uni, you can have an AAB or ABB as your insurance, and if not, then you'll still have somewhere to go.

Your predictions are of course higher than AAA, but unis that ask for A*AA are extremely competitive, and AS levels are often deemed more important than predictions because some schools are overly liberal with predictions (making them unrealistic).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
In the subjects that you being predicted a B. what percent did you get at AS?

low to mid 70's for all three :frown: like 73-76%)
Got ABCD at AS (really disappointed) and will most likely be predicted A*AB (hopefully A*AA but doubt it), I'm also doing EPQ in which I will aim for A*. Sitting my LNAT this friday. I also already have a B in A Level Polish.
Do you think this would be a sensible list?
Nottingham - A*AA and LNAT (this is my favourite, and they sometimes give out lower offers to people from disadvantaged areas like me so fingers crossed)
Birmingham - AAA (or AAB and A in EPQ) and LNAT
Leeds - AAA (ABB with Access to Leeds)
York - AAA
Liverpool - ABB (as a back up)
Anyone had their LNAT yet? Mine is on Wednesday
Reply 108
Anyone had their LNAT yet? Mine is on Wednesday

Nope. My ones for December but im thinking of bringing the date forward. Did a practice yesterday and got 22 which was alright considering I only used 45 minutes. How's your practice going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GOKU27
Nope. My ones for December but im thinking of bringing the date forward. Did a practice yesterday and got 22 which was alright considering I only used 45 minutes. How's your practice going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done lots of practice so far- both essays and MC- and have been getting 28-32ish on the MC. I've done all the papers I can find, so I'm gonna stop now and just hope Wednesday goes well!
Reply 110
I've done lots of practice so far- both essays and MC- and have been getting 28-32ish on the MC. I've done all the papers I can find, so I'm gonna stop now and just hope Wednesday goes well!

Nice. Hopefully I can get to at least 30 as well but probably won't lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! With AAC predictions, what unis do you think I should apply to? Thanks :smile:
Hi, just an update on my current uni list. Predicted A* A* A (AABB at AS Level, but only two ums from AAA)
The unis i'm currently interested in applying for are:

Oxford (unrealistic, but my dream) AAA
Birmingham AAA
Lancaster AAA
Lancaster AAB (Law with politics)
Leeds (through the access scheme) ABB or considering Leicester AAB
Reply 113
I recieved AABB in History, Psychology, Government and politics and economics (dropped). I am havng my gov and pol remarked as i was 1 mark off an A.
I am predicted A*A*A
Planning to apply to Warwick (AAA), Birmingham (AAA), Exeter (AAA) and Leicester (AAB) for sure.
I cant choose between Bristol (AAA), Durham (A*AA) and Nottigham (A*AA) do people think going for an A* university is a bit of an stretch considering my AS? I am really conflicted!😯😯😯
Edit: Politics went up!!😀😀😀😀 new AS grades are AAAB!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 114
How are you guys getting predicted these A*'s? I got like 95% UMS on two subjects at AS and my teachers are still deciding on whether or not to predict me an A*...
Original post by NOP97
How are you guys getting predicted these A*'s? I got like 95% UMS on two subjects at AS and my teachers are still deciding on whether or not to predict me an A*...

I think the main reason my teachers have predicted me A*A*A is because I'm from a deprived area/college where most people statistically under-achieve. I'm not saying this is the only reason but that's what I secretly think.
i got mediocre Gcse's but i got better AS grades and my predicted grades are : A*AB in RS, History and Government and Politics, i dropped english lit- i got a high C?. i'm also doing an EPQ. i want to apply for law at
kings
lse
ucl
city
brunel

will my GCSE's stop me from going to any of these?
Original post by Cewhite
I recieved AABB in History, Psychology, Government and politics and economics (dropped). I am havng my gov and pol remarked as i was 1 mark off an A.
I am predicted A*A*A
Planning to apply to Warwick (AAA), Birmingham (AAA), Exeter (AAA) and Leicester (AAB) for sure.
I cant choose between Bristol (AAA), Durham (A*AA) and Nottigham (A*AA) do people think going for an A* university is a bit of an stretch considering my AS? I am really conflicted!😯😯😯

Haha I took the same AS Levels as you! :smile:
I don't think it's a bit of a stretch as it looks like you are on track for at least an A*!
I would go for it!
hiya! does anyone know the difference between the UCAS code M100 (e.g. Warwick) and M103 (e.g. Exeter)? :smile:
Hey everyone!
I've just sent off my application today and applied to Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol and Exeter. I did the LNAT earlier this month and have no clue how I did (hopefully not too bad). I take IB and I'm predicted 43 overall (quite happy with that as I just found out today). I have HL 776 and SL 776. The only reason I don't have 3 7's at HL is due to the fact that we have a new syllabus in Art and we're really skeptical on how it will be marked so we thought it would be better just to predict me more realistically which I agree with. I also got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE.

I found my personal statement a challenge but finally got it done. I included books such as Letters to a Law Student, The Law Machine, and I tried to link in my experience while living in Egypt as well and how that got me interested into law. I was also in MUN and a part of my school's debate club so I talked about that. I also did some coursework and managed to link that to law so I put that in too and mentioned my leadership roles and my work shadowing of barristers in Crown Court. I'm hoping it will be okay and the offers start to roll in soon :smile:

Good luck to everyone!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending