The Student Room Group

How to apply for a job in aviation ie Pilot ?

I'm an aspiring pilot, I am currently undertaking my A-levels, my subjects being Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics. I am coming to the end of my education (year 13) I know you need to be 18 to apply ,but my question is where do I apply?

Any answers will be helpful especially if you're a pilot.
Original post by Sniperdon227
I'm an aspiring pilot, I am currently undertaking my A-levels, my subjects being Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics. I am coming to the end of my education (year 13) I know you need to be 18 to apply ,but my question is where do I apply?

Any answers will be helpful especially if you're a pilot.

Very few pilots hang around the A level forum. I will move it to the best alternative forum I can find.
I'm an aspiring pilot, I am currently undertaking my A-levels, my subjects being Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics. I am coming to the end of my education (year 13) I know you need to be 18 to apply ,but my question is where do I apply? Any answers will be helpful especially if you're a pilot.

Hi Sniperdon, my brother's just qualified as a commercial pilot and doing assessment days now for airlines. He did it the long long, hard, expensive way as he didn't complete A-Levels (lost confidence in his exam taking ability) so worked in a supermarket for a while before he realised he hated life if he wan't going to at least try and fly for a living. My dad is also a commercial pilot (background in the RAF as a Flight Engineer, turned pilot instructor - at Oxford, Perth and Dundee- turned commercial pilot now). He's advised and trained tonnes of newbies and aspiring pilots. At Oxford Aviation he presented their open day for potential students and talked about all the options. It's an expensive thing to want to do, and jobs do come and go so you really need to want to fly just to fly and generally be flexible about where you'll live... people in it for the money can have a rough time. Have you done a PPL? A taster session and a completed PPL are the first steps. If you want more info then contact CAE Oxford Aviation Academy- they're a really good school and they'll start you off with info. Also tonnes of Aviation geek forums around, but I don't know what they are. 'Pilot' magazine is the big magazine in the industry as far as I know. My bro's picture was in it a while back! Aviation's a small world once you get into it.
Original post by Leah K Stewart
Hi Sniperdon, my brother's just qualified as a commercial pilot and doing assessment days now for airlines. He did it the long long, hard, expensive way as he didn't complete A-Levels (lost confidence in his exam taking ability) so worked in a supermarket for a while before he realised he hated life if he wan't going to at least try and fly for a living. My dad is also a commercial pilot (background in the RAF as a Flight Engineer, turned pilot instructor - at Oxford, Perth and Dundee- turned commercial pilot now). He's advised and trained tonnes of newbies and aspiring pilots. At Oxford Aviation he presented their open day for potential students and talked about all the options. It's an expensive thing to want to do, and jobs do come and go so you really need to want to fly just to fly and generally be flexible about where you'll live... people in it for the money can have a rough time. Have you done a PPL? A taster session and a completed PPL are the first steps. If you want more info then contact CAE Oxford Aviation Academy- they're a really good school and they'll start you off with info. Also tonnes of Aviation geek forums around, but I don't know what they are. 'Pilot' magazine is the big magazine in the industry as far as I know. My bro's picture was in it a while back! Aviation's a small world once you get into it.

Cheers for replying I shall book an open day with Oxford Aviation and attend to see what its all about! Also did your brother do Integrated ATPL or MPL?
Cheers for replying I shall book an open day with Oxford Aviation and attend to see what its all about! Also did your brother do Integrated ATPL or MPL?

Ah, good! You have looked into this and know the terms. Erm- he did ATPL exams. MPL- that's Multi Pilot Licence, right? If it is then he did that at the end in a fancy sim in Wales somewhere. You could try and grab him on Facebook if you like (https://www.facebook.com/addisons1) just say you chatted with me and I had no clue :smile:
Ah, good! You have looked into this and know the terms. Erm- he did ATPL exams. MPL- that's Multi Pilot Licence, right? If it is then he did that at the end in a fancy sim in Wales somewhere. You could try and grab him on Facebook if you like (https://www.facebook.com/addisons1) just say you chatted with me and I had no clue :smile:

How long has his journey to become a pilot been and flying commerically already jheez 👍🏻
How long has his journey to become a pilot been and flying commerically already jheez 👍🏻

He's doing assessment days for airlines now, so not actually flying commercially yet. He took the long, slow expensive route because he didn't have A-Levels but, if you have A-Levels, then you can do this via a University (can't remember which one) and get a student loan to cover costs to do training full time and have a degree at the end, if I remember correctly. Best asking people in the know like my brother or Oxford. They'll help :smile: Good luck with it all!
He's doing assessment days for airlines now, so not actually flying commercially yet. He took the long, slow expensive route because he didn't have A-Levels but, if you have A-Levels, then you can do this via a University (can't remember which one) and get a student loan to cover costs to do training full time and have a degree at the end, if I remember correctly. Best asking people in the know like my brother or Oxford. They'll help :smile: Good luck with it all!

In terms of years what are we talking?,and I think going down the ATPL route you get a degree at the end of it anyway.
In terms of years what are we talking?,and I think going down the ATPL route you get a degree at the end of it anyway.

The degree is quite a new thing - my brother was so excited about it because he never thought he'd ever have a degree! If you do it full-time then, I think, 2-3 years, maybe 2? It took my brother about 4 years in total as he was working part-time in the supermarket and funding it with his own money which wasn't allot and often a limiter. You won't have those limitations if you get student loan and do it full-time. Oh- one tip my dad always gives; once you've done the PPL (to be sure you like flying) and before you commit to commercial training *go and get your pilot medical done*. He's seen a student who didn't do this so, after a tonne of time/money, got the medical to discover there's something up with him that prevented him from flying commercially. Mostly it will be fine, of course, just worth doing sooner rather than later. All the best!
I am sure applicants don't need a PPL prior to applying via CAE Oxford/CTC Wings. Though I do know applicants need to have a Pilot Medical Certificate (Class 1 Medical Certificate) prior to application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending