The Student Room Group

2016 Nursing Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by futurechildnurse
I am in the exact same position! So nervous, but excited at the same time! I hope your boss doesn't take too long to write your reference, so you can send it off.

Good luck! x

So frustrating isnt it! I hate not having control over it! Thank you, good luck to you as well:smile: x
Original post by Sansarya
So frustrating isnt it! I hate not having control over it! Thank you, good luck to you as well:smile: x

It certainly is! I just want to be a nurse so bad. Thank you. I shall let you know when I've sent off my application. :smile: x
Original post by ChancedTravels
Your best bet is to just call them directly - they will know better than any of us!

Luckily, i got a place at a better college that is local to my area and i will be starting tomorrow. We are just trying to get our uni choices ready. Ill be applying to do Adult Nursing at Kings College, City of London, Kingston, Middlesex and Greenwich
Original post by Euridice
Luckily, i got a place at a better college that is local to my area and i will be starting tomorrow. We are just trying to get our uni choices ready. Ill be applying to do Adult Nursing at Kings College, City of London, Kingston, Middlesex and Greenwich

Yay! Really similar to my choices but I'm child branch :biggrin:

Good luck!!!
Reply 124
Original post by misslesleyo
Hey Everyone :smile:
Branch: PG Dip Adult Nursing
Applying to: Greenwich, City, and LSBU
Work Experience: Previous student nurse for 2 years. Healthcare Assistant for the last 2 years for Barts Health!

Hey,

Same here! Applied on the ucas open day! No news of yet :-/

Mel
Reply 125
Branch: adult nursing

Hey people,
I've applied to; Greenwich, Brighton, CityLondon, south bank and CCCU.

Fingers crossed, no news of any interviews yet. Getting nervous haha

Mel
Reply 126
Original post by MelD88
Branch: adult nursing

Hey people,
I've applied to; Greenwich, Brighton, CityLondon, south bank and CCCU.

Fingers crossed, no news of any interviews yet. Getting nervous haha

Mel

Hey Mel, good luck with your application!

I'm currently at CCCU (doing Biology though) so if you have any questions about it, you can ask me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just waiting for my reference/coordinator to approve my application and write my reference. It's so tense waiting. I don't wanna constantly go on at them and tell them to do it, but I'm so impatient. :colondollar:
Reply 128
Anyone heard anything from anywhere yet?

I have had an acknowledgement email from Southampton but that is it.
Reply 129
Hi!

Me again :-) I have been invited to a selection day on the 23rd for Greenwich adult nursing! Anyone else been invited? Hope so!

Mel x
I applied last year and got offers from 3/5 unis including Kings College London so if anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to quote me!
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I applied last year and got offers from 3/5 unis including Kings College London so if anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to quote me!

Congratulations on getting 3/5 offers. What do you think made you stand out from the crowd? What branch of nursing did you go for?
Reply 132
Hi,
I'm applying for children's nursing
universities: university of Birmingham, Birmingham city university, Wolverhampton, Worcester and Coventry or keele, still deciding
I have done work experience in a elderly residential care home and pharmacy. I am applying to volunteer at my local hospital, as well waiting on a call from my local children's centre. I have also asked various schools for work experience, just waiting on the reply now.:smile:
Congratulations on getting 3/5 offers. What do you think made you stand out from the crowd? What branch of nursing did you go for?

Thank you, I applied for adult nursing!

From my point of view, the first thing that helped me was my PS. My grades were below par, and whilst KCL wanted BBB for instance, I was predicted ABD, meaning that was my sort of really aspirational choice. It's so important to really express your strengths in your personal statement, and of course include any sort of experience you might have carried out.

For anyone else reading this (and for my quoter) if you don't have experience in a medical/ nursing scenario DON'T panic. Just work your other volunteering/achievements and show what you've gained which will then help you in nursing and during your course. Also it's important to have a good introduction which really hooks the admissions tutor in, I've spent a lot of time during my childhood in hospital and so I mentioned how this motivated me to strive to become a nurse due to the amazing care I received in my most vulnerable moments and I also talked about how hospitals are quite glamorised on TV and how this isn't the case etc.

I'm currently on my way to a society meeting, but I'll update this later with some more stuff! :smile: (oh and I didn't include interview help because nobody has received them yet as it's too early)
Reply 134
[QUOTE="fairplaytoyou;59771411"]I applied last year and got offers from 3/5 unis including Kings College London so if anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to quote me![/QUOTE

They would be great! What was thr interview/selection day like? Was the numeracy questions hard? Do you know what there looking for in s student nurse?

Thank you
Thank you, I applied for adult nursing!

From my point of view, the first thing that helped me was my PS. My grades were below par, and whilst KCL wanted BBB for instance, I was predicted ABD, meaning that was my sort of really aspirational choice. It's so important to really express your strengths in your personal statement, and of course include any sort of experience you might have carried out.

For anyone else reading this (and for my quoter) if you don't have experience in a medical/ nursing scenario DON'T panic. Just work your other volunteering/achievements and show what you've gained which will then help you in nursing and during your course. Also it's important to have a good introduction which really hooks the admissions tutor in, I've spent a lot of time during my childhood in hospital and so I mentioned how this motivated me to strive to become a nurse due to the amazing care I received in my most vulnerable moments and I also talked about how hospitals are quite glamorised on TV and how this isn't the case etc.

I'm currently on my way to a society meeting, but I'll update this later with some more stuff! :smile: (oh and I didn't include interview help because nobody has received them yet as it's too early)

Thank you for your reply!

Luckily, I achieved a higher than what I require to study children's nursing. In my personal statement I wrote about how my experience will help me become a more competent nurse. I have recently got my reference written too,so I am hoping that I can get a place.
Do many people get into nursing when they're straight out of school and have done A-levels/BTEC?
Thank you for your reply!

Luckily, I achieved a higher than what I require to study children's nursing. In my personal statement I wrote about how my experience will help me become a more competent nurse. I have recently got my reference written too,so I am hoping that I can get a place.

Awesome! Well I wish you the best of luck and if you do manage to get an interview which I'm sure you will, shine and show them what you're capable of!

[QUOTE="MelD88;59774215"]
I applied last year and got offers from 3/5 unis including Kings College London so if anyone has any questions about anything, feel free to quote me![/QUOTE

They would be great! What was thr interview/selection day like? Was the numeracy questions hard? Do you know what there looking for in s student nurse?

Thank you

We were made to sign a disclosure agreement last year so I can't go into extreme amounts of depth but I can try!

The selection day was actually quite enjoyable although obviously a bit scary! The English test is there to see how your comprehension is - there's several questions which you must answer but it's more quality over quantity so make sure if you do end up doing it, that you really focus on what you're writing! And don't panic.

Personally I like maths so I was quite alright with the numeracy test but they weren't difficult at all! Just really basic skills put in a nursing context, although you don't need to know any nursing related maths yet. If you've spent time away from education, or are a bit nervous/iffy about maths I would definitely recommend Bitesize! I know a lot of people who used that.

The actual interview was probably a lot scarier before than during. There were 6 stations, each with a different interviewer and a different question. But the best thing was that each interviewer was so lovely and would chat to you at the end about other things unrelated to interview. The questions themselves aren't hard as such but one in particular does require a bit of interpretational thinking. There's also a question where you'll be shown something and have to think about it, before the interview starts.

As for what they're looking for, I think passion is the most important thing. They obviously want people who will be dedicated to nursing, and who aren't likely to be shocked once the course starts and drop out. Communication skills are pretty much essential, remember eye contact and friendly smiles! There is a list of skills/qualities on the NHSCareers website under nursing too.

Original post by .Vanessa.
Do many people get into nursing when they're straight out of school and have done A-levels/BTEC?

Yep! I came straight out of school. This may even advantage you eg during selection tests. A lot of people come from gap years or are mature students too, though and so have a different type of experience. But it's how you talk about it, really.
Hi all,

I'm just starting my UCAS now and probably won't get it sent off until next month (references). Realistically, there are only 2 Uni's I want to apply to that are in my region and have a good reputation.

I know there's loads in London, but I just don't think I can afford it :s-smilie: am I cutting it close by having just 2/5 options? x
Hi
Branch- child nursing
Unis- York, Leeds, hull, Teesside and Northumbria :smile:
Currently finishing my final year of my current degree in psychology and jumping straight into another! about to submit my Ucas tomorrow- any ideas when we will be likely to hear back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending