The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charleethompson
Yep! Which college are you applying to?

St Catherines!
You?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Also, will they specify which subject to get my third A in?
Original post by Oxfordmugglehog
GCSE grades: 2A* 6A 4B
A-Levels: ABB CHEM BIO MATHS A.S
Course: BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE
College: UNKNOWN

doing BMAT soon and have an EPQ

do i even have a chance considering my bad grades?
and does picking a certain college affect my application at all?

What are your predictions? A strong BMAT+predictions should get you an interview.
Original post by JME_CHG
If you're taking 6 subjects to A2, will Oxford likely to give a 6A level offer?

No, but bear in mind if your offer is A*AA, and you get 6 As, they don't have to take you!
Original post by JME_CHG
If you're taking 6 subjects to A2, will Oxford likely to give a 6A level offer?

My friend took 5 and was told to get AAAAB I think...
Original post by Artfanatic
My friend took 5 and was told to get AAAAB I think...

Out of curiosity, where did your friend apply to? How come they didn't ask for any A*?
Original post by JME_CHG
Out of curiosity, where did your friend apply to? How come they didn't ask for any A*?

Keble and I assume because the entry requirements for humanities are AAA :smile:
Original post by KombatWombat
No, but bear in mind if your offer is A*AA, and you get 6 As, they don't have to take you!

And I'm actually uncertain about the last 2 subject, I'm highly certain I'll deffo do 4, but if it gets too much I can always wing the last 3 subjects since it's not part of my offer right?
Keble and I assume because the entry requirements for humanities are AAA :smile:

I'm going for Keble too!!! Ensuites FTW! and I see... I think it'll be a lot different for maths...
Original post by kitchentowel1
St Catherines!
You?

I've applied to Oriel!
Have you sent your application off yet?
Original post by JME_CHG
I'm going for Keble too!!! Ensuites FTW! and I see... I think it'll be a lot different for maths...

I know of one successful maths applicant from my school (4years since she went) Think she had all A*s at GCSE and then again at A2... so perhaps you are right :shock:
I know of one successful maths applicant from my school (4years since she went) Think she had all A*s at GCSE and then again at A2... so perhaps you are right :shock:

At GCSE, I got 8A*, 6A, 1B (RE (lol)) but MY SCHOOL WAS VERY BELOW AVG!! Over 3 standard deviations below the mean!!!
Original post by JME_CHG
At GCSE, I got 8A*, 6A, 1B (RE (lol)) but MY SCHOOL WAS VERY BELOW AVG!! Over 3 standard deviations below the mean!!!

I am sure you will make a competitive application! I would imagine like most subjects the pre-interview test is a big factor in it all so don't despair if you see others with near to/'perfect' grades! [they know what they are looking for so just put your trust in them!]
Sorry to be a pain, can anyone link me to the page about what they recommend for putting on reference? It's a flash page made by the university i think
Original post by JME_CHG
And I'm actually uncertain about the last 2 subject, I'm highly certain I'll deffo do 4, but if it gets too much I can always wing the last 3 subjects since it's not part of my offer right?

If you apply with 6 subjects you can't just drop the "extra" subjects without prior agreement from any unis you have accepted offers (firm/insurance) from.

Much better not to apply with six, four is more than enough.
Original post by googolplexity
Sorry to be a pain, can anyone link me to the page about what they recommend for putting on reference? It's a flash page made by the university i think

this?
Hi, I'm applying for Maths at St Hugh's but I'm worried about my chances as my school haven't had a successful Oxford applicant in three years :frown:. I got 11A*s at GCSE and 4 As in AS Maths, Fmaths, Chemistry and Physics. Any advice would be appreciated
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
If you apply with 6 subjects you can't just drop the "extra" subjects without prior agreement from any unis you have accepted offers (firm/insurance) from.

Much better not to apply with six, four is more than enough.

But if they give A*A*A offer then surely this means they don't care what happens to the other 3?
Original post by JME_CHG
But if they give A*A*A offer then surely this means they don't care what happens to the other 3?

They may or may not care, but you have contracted to them that you are taking 6 a-levels. Any change in the terms of your application must be notified to the universities.

It's likely they won't mind, but they may. And if you don't tell them then technically they can withdraw your offer.
Original post by jneill
They may or may not care, but you have contracted to them that you are taking 6 a-levels. Any change in the terms of your application must be notified to the universities.

It's likely they won't mind, but they may. And if you don't tell them then technically they can withdraw your offer.

Alright what if I say on UCAS I'm doing 4 but in reality do 6? Isn't this still against the contract?

Latest

Trending

Trending