The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
17 turning 18, is rather different to 15 turning 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 2-3 students aged 17 in most years. It is not a huge issue but there are a few things that all Universities have to put in place for students aged under-18. In brief, your parents/guardians have to co-sign a tenancy agreement, give permission for emergency medical treatment (in the unlikely event you require it), and there are restrictions on drinking that apply until your 18th birthday. If your parents/guardians live overseas then guardians who live in the EU must usually also be nominated.

Admission at ages below 16 presents a much bigger issue because Universities are predominantly adult learning environments and will not act in loco parentis - which means that a parent or guardian assumes caring responsibilities. In practice, most students aged below 16 either study from home or wait until they are 17 before commencing study.

PS our bar license does permit under-18 year-olds to enter and there are a lot of social activities that take place here unrelated to drinking or tangentially related. It is just alcoholic beverages that are off-limits until a student turns 18.
(edited 8 years ago)
Will being a dedicated arsene wenger fanboy help my application??
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Admission at ages below 16 presents a much bigger issue because Universities are predominantly adult learning environments and will not act in loco parentis - which means that a parent or guardian assumes caring responsibilities. In practice, most students aged below 16 either study from home or wait until they are 17 before commencing study.

And would that be possible for Medicine?
Original post by JME_CHG
Alright what if I say on UCAS I'm doing 4 but in reality do 6? Isn't this still against the contract?

I would think so.You are required to tell UCAS about all your achieved and expected qualifications for the current year.

And why risk the hassle?
Original post by jneill
And would that be possible for Medicine?

We admitted a Fresher aged 17 to read Medicine a few years ago and there were no issues.

We are not sure what the position would be for anyone under-16 and suggest that you contact the admissions administrator for Medical Science direct: [email protected]

Our feeling is that age is not a criteria for selection and there are no health and safety issues for which reasonable adjustment could not be made in the case of a student who is a minor.

Personal characteristics form part of admissions selection for Medicine and all applicants have to meet these. At very young ages it might be more difficult to meet some of these (eg empathy) but age is not in and of itself an impediment to entry:

Motivation: a reasonably well-informed and strong desire to practise medicine

Communication: ability to make knowledge and ideas clear using language appropriate to the audience

Honesty and integrity

Ethical awareness

Ability to work with others

Capacity for sustained and intense work

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We are not sure what the position would be for anyone under-16 and suggest that you contact the admissions administrator for Medical Science direct: [email protected]

Thanks.

Although, it's not for me... it's @tehtarik who is applying for entry as a 15yo. :smile:
Original post by niall kanemyass
Will being a dedicated arsene wenger fanboy help my application??

:top:
It will definitely get you close to that offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2807
Hii there
I was thinking about applying to Oxford for Medicine, really not too sure though after looking at statistics
I have 6A* 5A with extenuating circumstances ( and also at a state school)
4A at AS
Predicted 4A* 1A in EPQ
Any advice? Realistically
Thank you!
Original post by rym4n
Hii there
I was thinking about applying to Oxford for Medicine, really not too sure though after looking at statistics
I have 6A* 5A with extenuating circumstances ( and also at a state school)
4A at AS
Predicted 4A* 1A in EPQ
Any advice? Realistically
Thank you!

You could but honestly, I don't think it's worth it. The most recent statistics imply that someone with your GCSE profile has an exceedingly low chance of getting in. If this were any other subject I'd say there's no harm in giving it a go but for Medicine, I personally think putting Oxford down could be a waste.
Original post by Plagioclase
You could but honestly, I don't think it's worth it. The most recent statistics imply that someone with your GCSE profile has an exceedingly low chance of getting in. If this were any other subject I'd say there's no harm in giving it a go but for Medicine, I personally think putting Oxford down could be a waste.

Wouldn't their extenuating circumstances count for anything?
So before I'll be to nervous about this because nobody else weighs in
I already sent of my PPE application. I am german and Maths is compuslory here but I havent scored the best marks there. 10th form (- probably GCSE level -) I had the second best mark out of 6 and last year it was around 85%. In the TSAs I practiced with I did well in the Maths questions though. Do you think this will be a problem?
Original post by SaxyBeast98
Hi, I'm applying for Maths at St Hugh's but I'm worried about my chances as my school haven't had a successful Oxford applicant in three years :frown:. I got 11A*s at GCSE and 4 As in AS Maths, Fmaths, Chemistry and Physics. Any advice would be appreciated

If anything, your school's lack of success will increase your chances, not decrease them.
For an Oxford mathematics interview, does anybody know what content the tutors will be limited too, do they ask questions about mechanics? statistics? or just focus on the Further Pure / Core modules?
Original post by PlaneovertheSea
So before I'll be to nervous about this because nobody else weighs in
I already sent of my PPE application. I am german and Maths is compuslory here but I havent scored the best marks there. 10th form (- probably GCSE level -) I had the second best mark out of 6 and last year it was around 85%. In the TSAs I practiced with I did well in the Maths questions though. Do you think this will be a problem?

85% seems fine for Maths for a PPE applicant, just do well in the TSA obviously.
Original post by antigone-
Wouldn't their extenuating circumstances count for anything?

Oxford Medicine is extremely competitive even with absolutely perfect scores in everything, you can see last year's statistics for yourself. I've got nothing to do with the Medical Sciences division so I guess you could argue that I don't know what I'm talking about but looking at the statistics, to me, I can't see how applying to Oxford for Medicine (probably the only subject where very good applicants can end up with 0 places) with that GCSE profile makes sense.
Original post by Plagioclase
Oxford Medicine is extremely competitive even with absolutely perfect scores in everything, you can see last year's statistics for yourself. I've got nothing to do with the Medical Sciences division so I guess you could argue that I don't know what I'm talking about but looking at the statistics, to me, I can't see how applying to Oxford for Medicine (probably the only subject where very good applicants can end up with 0 places) with that GCSE profile makes sense.

No I get that completely, I was just wondering if extenuating circumstances would play a role, especially for such a competitive course. Do extenuating circumstances not mean much for other courses too?

I don't have any but it does seem very unfair if not...
GCSEs-4 A* 6 A
A-Levels- history,eng lit, psychology and politics
Course-Law
Original post by antigone-
No I get that completely, I was just wondering if extenuating circumstances would play a role, especially for such a competitive course. Do extenuating circumstances not mean much for other courses too?

I don't have any but it does seem very unfair if not...

They definitely do take extenuating circumstances into account, Medicine is just a pretty extreme example because to the best of my knowledge it's the only subject that takes GCSE results so incredibly seriously. For any other subject a less-than-spectacular GCSE profile probably wouldn't be the end of the world, particularly if you have extenuating circumstances (as several TSR users can testify) but given that it seems only a single person was admitted with their number of A*s and nobody with with their A* percentage, I wouldn't have thought that extenuating circumstances would make their odds a lot more optimistic. It could be that I'm completely wrong and that there was nobody in their position last year, I'm just saying that from my view, the odds don't look good enough to justify putting Oxford down as a choice.

Maybe they could email the department to ask if their application could be competitive with specific details of their circumstances.
Original post by drriversong
GCSEs-4 A* 6 A
A-Levels- history,eng lit, psychology and politics
Course-Law

Same course! Which college are you applying to? :smile:
Original post by lovecathy
Same course! Which college are you applying to? :smile:

Magdalen-what about you? :smile:

Latest