The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
number theory is pure maths and I do not do pure maths ...
On a serious note I have an amazing book on number theory, but the problem is that is not in English.

Ah, not to worry, the book Physicsmaths recommended looks great
Reply 1541
Original post by Gilo98

maybe I also have the title?
Original post by Gilo98

Art of problem solving is one of the best sites out there. Wonderful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
maybe I also have the title?

Art of Problem Solving Intro to Number Theory. I think the only UK stockist of AoPS books is UKMT here. It is quite expensive but looks like the kind of book you keep forever.
Original post by physicsmaths
Art of problem solving is one of the best sites out there. Wonderful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have had a look at there books in the past, they do look brilliant. Just trying to decide what maths I want to spend time ding; STEP 1 prep or some number theory/olympiad type problems.
Reply 1544
Original post by Gilo98
Art of Problem Solving Intro to Number Theory. I think the only UK stockist of AoPS books is UKMT here. It is quite expensive but looks like the kind of book you keep forever.

thanks
Original post by Gilo98

I have had a look at there books in the past, they do look brilliant. Just trying to decide what maths I want to spend time ding; STEP 1 prep or some number theory/olympiad type problems.

Most people who do well in olympids do well in step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Most people who do well in olympids do well in step.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just not sure where to start with olympiad type problems. perhaps I should work through AoPS Vol 1
hey TeeEm
what yeam do you support?
Original post by TeeEm
x

I dont suppose you have any questions on moments acting on a lamina? I did flip through your moments booklet but they were mainly M1 type problems. Had a very hard question today from the old M2 book.
Reply 1549
Original post by Gilo98
I dont suppose you have any questions on moments acting on a lamina? I did flip through your moments booklet but they were mainly M1 type problems. Had a very hard question today from the old M2 book.

these are very rare and not too hard
there may be parts of questions of what you are describing with centre of mass workbooks in M2 and in M3
Original post by Gilo98

Is it the part after finding the centre of mass that is giving you grief? What sort of a question was it, hanging it up, balancing it on a slope (I've always thought that this wouldn't work in practice) or attaching a stud and then hanging it up?
Original post by tiny hobbit
Is it the part after finding the centre of mass that is giving you grief? What sort of a question was it, hanging it up, balancing it on a slope (I've always thought that this wouldn't work in practice) or attaching a stud and then hanging it up?

There was a rectangular lamina lent up against a wall. It was basically a ladder problem with rough ground but the ladder was a rectangular lamina. The difficulty lies in the line of action of its weight because it came down from the CoM of the rectangle.
Original post by TeeEm
these are very rare and not too hard
there may be parts of questions of what you are describing with centre of mass workbooks in M2 and in M3

Ok will have a quick look 👍
Reply 1553
Original post by Gilo98
Ok will have a quick look 👍

I will make a question like that...
I remember in the early nineties a question with a wardrobe leaning against a wall
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gilo98
There was a rectangular lamina lent up against a wall. It was basically a ladder problem with rough ground but the ladder was a rectangular lamina. The difficulty lies in the line of action of its weight because it came down from the CoM of the rectangle.

I seem to have every old Mechanics book except that one.

Attached is a diagram of what I think you've got. I've put on 4 forces, the weight of the lamina, the reactions at the wall and the ground and the friction at the ground.

I'm guessing that what is giving you grief is finding a suitable distance when taking moments for the weight. If you take moments about A, the distance you need is the distance from the centre of mass to the wall, GB. This is a side of the triangle that I have drawn, with hypotenuse AG. The angle between AG and the wall is alpha + beta. Alpha is the angle between the side of the lamina and the vertical, which I guess is what you are trying to find. beta depends on the dimensions of the rectangle.

Does that help at all?
Original post by Gilo98

Like question 9 here?
Original post by Krollo
Like question 9 here?

Off topic, but Q10 on that paper was a real beauty.
Original post by TeeEm
I will make a question like that...
I remember in the early nineties a question with a wardrobe leaning against a wall

That was basically the setup
Original post by tiny hobbit
I seem to have every old Mechanics book except that one.

Attached is a diagram of what I think you've got. I've put on 4 forces, the weight of the lamina, the reactions at the wall and the ground and the friction at the ground.

I'm guessing that what is giving you grief is finding a suitable distance when taking moments for the weight. If you take moments about A, the distance you need is the distance from the centre of mass to the wall, GB. This is a side of the triangle that I have drawn, with hypotenuse AG. The angle between AG and the wall is alpha + beta. Alpha is the angle between the side of the lamina and the vertical, which I guess is what you are trying to find. beta depends on the dimensions of the rectangle.

Does that help at all?

Yep thats exactly what the question was like. Thanks for the diagram, I'll have another go using it tomorrow and see how I get on :smile:

Original post by Krollo
Like question 9 here?

Yep was basically that
Another question came up in M2 today. It was Q29 of Review Exercise 2 in the old edexcel book, the 2000 one. The issue was dealing with the moments about O and how to deal with the centre of mass acting from the 'centre' of the rectangular lamina.
Reply 1559
Original post by Gilo98
Another question came up in M2 today. It was Q29 of Review Exercise 2 in the old edexcel book, the 2000 one. The issue was dealing with the moments about O and how to deal with the centre of mass acting from the 'centre' of the rectangular lamina.

one question I made and added earlier
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending