The Student Room Group

Computer Science with Maths

I'm studying Computer Science, Maths, History and Economics at AS-Level and wish to do an ICT based course at Uni (thinking Computer Science, IT system engineering, etc). Currently my studies at AS-Level are going well, however...

I had no intention of doing Maths at A-Level, but since my parents/teachers all wanted me to do it, I chose to take it (I got a B at GCSE.) Unfortunately I can't get my head around half of the things we get taught in Maths, and while I revise a lot for it and do all my work...my heart just isn't in it as a subject. I can't forsee myself doing particularly well in AS Maths,, let alone A2, since I don't particularly like it or want to be involved in it, I'm just doing it because I *apparently* need it.

How would not doing Maths A-Level affect my options at University? Don't get me wrong, I can do mental maths very well and I'm fine with formulas, I just don't feel that A-Level Maths is the right subject for me.

Advice much appreciated.
Reply 1
Essentially only RG unis ask for maths, and there are even some RG uni's that don't. Depending on what level you're working at, you should be able to get into a uni with ease :smile:
Reply 2
wow your in trh same position i am i actually ended up dropping maths in short
Original post by JakieWolf
I'm studying Computer Science, Maths, History and Economics at AS-Level and wish to do an ICT based course at Uni (thinking Computer Science, IT system engineering, etc). Currently my studies at AS-Level are going well, however...

I had no intention of doing Maths at A-Level, but since my parents/teachers all wanted me to do it, I chose to take it (I got a B at GCSE.) Unfortunately I can't get my head around half of the things we get taught in Maths, and while I revise a lot for it and do all my work...my heart just isn't in it as a subject. I can't forsee myself doing particularly well in AS Maths,, let alone A2, since I don't particularly like it or want to be involved in it, I'm just doing it because I *apparently* need it.

How would not doing Maths A-Level affect my options at University? Don't get me wrong, I can do mental maths very well and I'm fine with formulas, I just don't feel that A-Level Maths is the right subject for me.

Advice much appreciated.

If you want to do Computer Science you need at maths, not just to get into a good uni but the course is heavily maths based, so if you don't like it now, you'll hate computer science. For courses like software engineering and other IT but none comp sci course maths isn't really compulsory but preferred. what unis are you looking at
I'm ideally looking at a Russell Group Uni (Bristol, Birmingham and Nottingham are my top 3 though I'm open to suggestions).
Planning on talking to the Sixth Form team tomorrow to see what they can do, since I quite enjoy IT systems/help and support.
I'm ideally looking at a Russell Group Uni (Bristol, Birmingham and Nottingham are my top 3 though I'm open to suggestions).
Planning on talking to the Sixth Form team tomorrow to see what they can do, since I quite enjoy IT systems/help and support.

Bristol requires Maths.

Honestly, if you don't want to do Maths, just go for a software engineering degree (it will still have some fundamental maths but less so than CS) as it seems like something you would prefer doing.

That said, Nottingham are very good about accommodating those without Maths at A-level: they have extra maths tutorials and additional lectures/material to help support you with the Maths on the CS course. I'd definitely still consider them as an option!

CS maths (discrete maths) is quite different from what you're taught at A-level so bear that in mind as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Bristol requires Maths.

Honestly, if you don't want to do Maths, just go for a software engineering degree (it will still have some fundamental maths but less so than CS) as it seems like something you would prefer doing.

That said, Nottingham are very good about accommodating those without Maths at A-level: they have extra maths tutorials and additional lectures/material to help support you with the Maths on the CS course. I'd definitely still consider them as an option!

CS maths (discrete maths) is quite different from what you're taught at A-level so bear that in mind as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im pretty sure even a software engineering degree requires an entry requirement for maths a level (b) ive checked certain unis and most want you to take a level maths :frown:
Original post by Synonym
wow your in trh same position i am i actually ended up dropping maths in short

U gonnw regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Synonym
im pretty sure even a software engineering degree requires an entry requirement for maths a level (b) ive checked certain unis and most want you to take a level maths :frown:

Nah, most are GCSE Maths at grade B
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
Nah, most are GCSE Maths at grade B

would computing A level be beneficial to the degree?
Original post by Synonym
would computing A level be beneficial to the degree?

It's not really required but I guess it would help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was hoping that Computing A-Level would help with getting on the course, since it is related. I was considering picking ICT, but it didn't really offer what I wanted (ICT seems like a qualification in Microsoft Office? Or is that just my impression)
I was hoping that Computing A-Level would help with getting on the course, since it is related. I was considering picking ICT, but it didn't really offer what I wanted (ICT seems like a qualification in Microsoft Office? Or is that just my impression)

As I said, Computing isn't a requirement but it is 'nice to have' in its own right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Advice much appreciated.

If you're not a fan of maths, then Computer Science probably isn't the subject for you...
Reply 14
Those saying that just because he doesn't particularly like the maths he's currently doing, he likely won't like CS and should do something else, it doesn't mean he won't thrive in CS. The maths in CS is entirely different from most of GCSE and A level as it's more abstract and discrete. Search through the CS forums and you find students who haven't taken AS/A level maths and don't particularly enjoy the topic either, yet have excelled in their CS work.

An example I can provide is a presentation I was recently at, which a Dr of computer science was stating about the maths necessary and that even he himself didn't enjoy maths until CS because it became more involved and was employed in solving a CS problem, so instead of doing math just for the sake of it as is the case with regular math, there is a reason to be doing it such as finding out vectors and such which provides a more tangible outcome.

Though, I'd like to resound what has been said earlier here, that you will be limited in terms of choices without AS/A level maths. However, universities that don't have this requirement usually have a maths unit which is used to get peoples math to what is needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cnova
Those saying that just because he doesn't particularly like the maths he's currently doing, he likely won't like CS and should do something else, it doesn't mean he won't thrive in CS. The maths in CS is entirely different from most of GCSE and A level as it's more abstract and discrete. Search through the CS forums and you find students who haven't taken AS/A level maths and don't particularly enjoy the topic either, yet have excelled in their CS work.

Agreed with this. I loved CS at GCSE and still enjoy it at A-Level, the maths element is there but it's based more around logic than around 'regular' A level maths. I'm going to see my year manager tomorrow so hopefully I'll have made a decision by then. Considering swapping maths for an EPQ at the moment. :smile:

Quick Reply