The Student Room Group

Corbyn voted new labour leader.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
What is wrong with you people that you can't understand that not wanting to be seen as opposing something that has majority public support is not the same as having it as a personal policy you would push through if you were leader?!

Do you have any understanding of how politics works?

I just don't think that's what Harriet Harman was doing, she was aligning with a policy that even some Tories think is going too far and wasn't supported by a figure as credible as Frank Field. I think the political failure was Harman's, backed up by supine neo-Blairite MPs. The thing about it being good politics because it was supported by the public also doesn't wash - even by your own terms, if you didn't want to hand victory to Corbyn on a plate, it was a bad idea, as it looked awful to most Labour supporters.

Anyway, regardless of all that, the policy itself will increasingly attract wrath onto the Tories and mobilise the Left.
None of this means that Liz Kendall as leader would have cut working tax credits.

It's public opinion that wins votes, not reality unfortunateley.

More useful to win Watford than inner city seats that are firm labour really isn't it.

I sat in a meeting full of top scientific policymakers yesterday and they all laughed at Jeremy Corbyn. It's just embarrassing.

Yes and David Cameron's science credentials are inspirational. Sorry but you are criticising someone for not taking fact-based positions on science but are happy for people not to pay attention to the facts on other issues.

People in the Home Counties will be alright whatever happens, Waitrose will still be open if Corbyn is elected and Bake Off will still be on telly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Yes and David Cameron's science credentials are inspirational. Sorry but you are criticising someone for not taking fact-based positions on science but are happy for people not to pay attention to the facts on other issues.

People in the Home Counties will be alright whatever happens, Waitrose will still be open if Corbyn is elected and Bake Off will still be on telly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Jezza would come under pressure to impose a Waitrose tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was more the fact than any hope of any evidence based policy coming through in the next ten years was pretty much non existent and it was funny the meeting was even happening because the election of Jeremy Corbyn had rendered it pretty !much useless.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think Jezza would come under pressure to impose a Waitrose tax.

Waitrose Essential Olive Oil at $130 a barrel, unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was more the fact than any hope of any evidence based policy coming through in the next ten years was pretty much non existent and it was funny the meeting was even happening because the election of Jeremy Corbyn had rendered it pretty !much useless.

Direct some of these concerns to Homeopathy Hunt then. All the while let's keep allowing people to believe the lies on benefits and immigration. Like I say Watford won't win itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just don't think that's what Harriet Harman was doing, she was aligning with a policy that even some Tories think is going too far and wasn't supported by a figure as credible as Frank Field. I think the political failure was Harman's, backed up by supine neo-Blairite MPs. The thing about it being good politics because it was supported by the public also doesn't wash - even by your own terms, if you didn't want to hand victory to Corbyn on a plate, it was a bad idea, as it looked awful to most Labour supporters.

Anyway, regardless of all that, the policy itself will increasingly attract wrath onto the Tories and mobilise the Left.

But none of this means that Liz would cut working tax credits as leader.

No it won't. Did my first canvassing this week. No one cares. There's three things people want, on the whole 1. Less immigration 2. Less benefits 3. Housing. That pretty much entirely sums up the public's political opinions,or at least the section of the public that need winning over, ie not traditional labour voters.

Do you see anyone being mobalised beyond people already in the left of the political spectrum? Thought not.
Direct some of these concerns to Homeopathy Hunt then. All the while let's keep allowing people to believe the lies on benefits and immigration. Like I say Watford won't win itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You going to buy up Murdoch's empire and change people's minds then?

Or you know, actually go canvassing in Tory labour marginals?

Thought not.

Also the conservative party won't engage, there's nothing scientists can do about that really. It's not like they haven't been trying for the past 6 years
But none of this means that Liz would cut working tax credits as leader.

No it won't. Did my first canvassing this week. No one cares. There's three things people want, on the whole 1. Less immigration 2. Less benefits 3. Housing. That pretty much entirely sums up the public's political opinions,or at least the section of the public that need winning over, ie not traditional labour voters.

Do you see anyone being mobalised beyond people already in the left of the political spectrum? Thought not.

I don't know about the second part of your response, maybe they will, maybe they won't. I don't know to what extent Liz Truss would have tracked the Tories but she was agreeing with tax credit cuts before the leadership result. The main point though is that both she and Harriet Harman (and Burnham) made a very bad political move, appearing to side with the Conservatives at that crucial point when they were up against a left wing resurgence. They lost sight of the main objective and acted as if they were still in office. It often doesn't matter what Oppositions do, it's the vibe they give off.
I don't know about the second part of your response, maybe they will, maybe they won't. I don't know to what extent Liz Truss would have tracked the Tories but she was agreeing with tax credit cuts before the leadership result. The main point though is that both she and Harriet Harman (and Burnham) made a very bad political move, appearing to side with the Conservatives at that crucial point when they were up against a left wing resurgence. They lost sight of the main objective and acted as if they were still in office. It often doesn't matter what Oppositions do, it's the vibe they give off.

You mean Liz Kendall, Truss is a Tory :wink:

Liz didn't make a single bad political move. She positioned herself to the right of the party, and stuck with her guns throughout. My dad used to hate her but thinks she did a really good job in the face of huge adversity and abandonment by the blairites.

Again, I repeat, not opposing tax credit cuts while in opposition is not the same thing as bringing that in as leader. Liz always maintained the most important thing was getting in, and clearly the best way to do that is to try and get the majority of the public onside. Labour is seen as soft on welfare - the party for people on benefits - by huge swathes of the country that labour will need to win if they ever want to gain power again. Liz stuck to what she said all along - these are the people you have to try and appeal to by not being seen as soft on benefits. Then when you're in power you can bring in measures to really help the less well off.
(edited 8 years ago)
You mean Liz Kendall, Truss is a Tory :wink:

Liz didn't make a single bad political move. She positioned herself to the right of the party, and stuck with her guns throughout. My dad used to hate her but thinks she did a really good job in the face of huge adversity and abandonment by the blairites.

Again, I repeat, not opposing tax credit cuts while in opposition is not the same thing as bringing that in as leader. Liz always maintained the most important thing was getting in, and clearly the best way to do that is to try and get the majority of the public onside. Labour is seen as soft on welfare - the party for people on benefits - by huge swathes of the country that labour will need to win if they ever want to gain power again. Liz stuck to what she said all along - these are the people you have to try and appeal to by not being seen as soft on benefits. Then when you're in power you can bring in measures to really help the less well off.

It's a question of timing, tactics and not walking open mouthed into obvious Tory traps as well. If I was a Labour Blairite, I think I would still view Harman's last act as pretty bloody stupid.
You going to buy up Murdoch's empire and change people's minds then?

Or you know, actually go canvassing in Tory labour marginals?

Thought not.

Also the conservative party won't engage, there's nothing scientists can do about that really. It's not like they haven't been trying for the past 6 years

There are no Tory/Labour marginals in Scotland. Lots of SNP seats though, including mine, for whom we have New Labour and Better Together to thank.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a question of timing, tactics and not walking open mouthed into obvious Tory traps as well. If I was a Labour Blairite, I think I would still view Harman's last act as pretty bloody stupid.

It's hardly the most stupid thing that's happened in the Labour Party of late let's be honest here.

The party's gone mad.
There are no Tory/Labour marginals in Scotland. Lots of SNP seats though, including mine, for whom we have New Labour and Better Together to thank.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a thing called travel? Just a thought.

I campaigned in marginals all over the country in the run up to the election, did very little in my own seat.
New labour wasn't real labour. All the blairites need to be purged- they're practically tories by another name at this stage.
Original post by Slimewizard
New labour wasn't real labour. All the blairites need to be purged- they're practically tories by another name at this stage.

Yaay let's alienate over 40% of our members and around 70% of the electorate.

Great plan you've got there, why don't you tell me more?
'Red' Ed another misconception successfully achieved by the nation's media.

+447542771778
Posted from TSR Mobile

You lot really ought to stop perpetuating this guff about Ed wasn't left wing and how the public are too stupid to understand his policies.

Please explain to me how things like rent control, mansion taxes and capping of energy prices isn't "red". Those things are very left wing! Far too left wing for most people and they didn't need to media to tell then that.

Couple this with all his rhetoric about the undeserved rich. I know you think the people of this country are so stupid that they need the Murdoch papers to think for themselves but nobody can objectively look at things like rent control and energy price caps can think they're anything but left wing. That's not a media invention! That you think it is quite frankly shows how deluded and out of touch a lot of you lot are. It's why Labour got murdered in the election and why they'll get muredered next time too.

Nobody wants to hear this class warfare BS.

You even have people canvassing telling you this but you don't want to hear it. Instead you're just looking down your nose at them, sneering at them. Thinking they're too stupid to use their brains and this must be why they don't see it your way. That's Labour 2015 and they got punished for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Slimewizard

Right, so what positive changes do you hope make for the country from the permanent wilderness?
Original post by KimKallstrom
You lot really ought to stop perpetuating this guff about Ed wasn't left wing and how the public are too stupid to understand his policies.

Please explain to me how things like rent control, mansion taxes and capping of energy prices isn't "red". Those things are very left wing! Far too left wing for most people and they didn't need to media to tell then that.

Couple this with all his rhetoric about the undeserved rich. I know you think the people of this country are so stupid that they need the Murdoch papers to think for themselves but nobody can objectively look at things like rent control and energy price caps can think they're anything but left wing. That's not a media invention! That you think it is quite frankly shows how deluded and out of touch a lot of you lot are. It's why Labour got murdered in the election and why they'll get muredered next time too.

Nobody wants to hear this class warfare BS.

You even have people canvassing telling you this but you don't want to hear it. Instead you're just looking down your nose at them, sneering at them. Thinking they're too stupid to use their brains and this must be why they don't see it your way. That's Labour 2015 and they got punished for it.

First off I didn't vote Labour this year and have only recently rejoined the party. Ed signed up to the Tory cuts programme a few months before the election, regularly criticised union strike action and famously said 'the right to welfare must be earned'. Ed didn't stand for anything and came across as someone who did whatever a focus group said might get a few more votes. The ridiculous 'hell yeah', the Ed Stone, the 'I eat bacon so I'm one of you'. He stood for nothing which is why I find the 'red Ed' label laughable.

Who wouldn't like cheaper rent? Less of a housing benefit bill for starters and more income spent on everyday goods rather than a landlord. Labour actually achieved a small gain in England and Wales on this 'left wing' ticket. What it did do however is lose 40 seats in my neck of the woods under the 'red Tory' label.

Labour HQ had ignored it for years in the assumption that people wouldn't vote for anyone else. It will happen in Wales sooner or later and the English heartlands losing thousands to UKIP will make them wish they had listened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a thing called travel? Just a thought.

I campaigned in marginals all over the country in the run up to the election, did very little in my own seat.

I wasn't a Labour member or even voter at the time of the election. What I find curious though is that you would expect me to go campaigning in marginals in England when you don't care about Labour north of the border. Labour used to be a party for all of Britain, at least Corbyn is making an attempt to return to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending