The Student Room Group

Missing Edexcel Geography fieldwork trip. Very worried.

Okay so my school has planned a field-trip for the fieldwork side of the course. Earlier in the year I asked what dates the trip would be, since I was planning a family visit to Germany. I was given the dates, and booked accordingly. However, my teacher gave me the wrong dates and now my trip clashes with the school trip.
I am very worried and scared about the outcomes. My teachers have made this out to be a MASSIVE deal, one of them even said that they may not be able to say that I 'completed the course' and one basically said that I will fail the a level if I do not go on the trip.

I really can't rebook it. I really did not think it was that big of a deal - it's a two day trip and the exam isn't until 2017 - I honestly thought that the trip would be forgotten by then. I thought that if I copy the notes and the fieldwork techniques, I would be at a slight disadvantage, but not to the point where I'm going to fail my entire A level. For anyone who took A level geography, is this true? How important is the trip in terms of the knowledge needed for the exam?
Also, surely would I not be able to go on the year 12 trip next year (when I'm in year 13)? Apparently there would be no other way for me to learn the techniques and that it would be impossible for me to conduct my own trip.
Reply 1
That trip counts for nothing, everyone will just share their results anyway. Pointless trip
If it's not an actual assessment then it's just your teachers trying to spook you.
Reply 3
Original post by ParadoxSocks
If it's not an actual assessment then it's just your teachers trying to spook you.

It's not an assessment but we are taught the fieldwork techniques that we are later examined on. It's 40% of our AS or something, and apparently we spend the rest of the year building on those techniques. If I copy the notes and ask people how they carried them out, do you think I'll be okay? My teacher even rang my parents saying it was vital for my future so it really scared me :frown:
Original post by skuka
It's not an assessment but we are taught the fieldwork techniques that we are later examined on. It's 40% of our AS or something, and apparently we spend the rest of the year building on those techniques. If I copy the notes and ask people how they carried them out, do you think I'll be okay? My teacher even rang my parents saying it was vital for my future so it really scared me :frown:

Teachers can be the worst (I'm a teacher!) and even though it is probably really important to go, if you can catch up and make sure there's absolutely nothing that you really missed (maybe even practice what you missed) then you'll be fine. You will need to work extra hard to make up for it but if it's not the actual thing that is assessed but the skills you need then develop those skills later and don't worry about it.

There's literally nothing you can do now except for cancel your other trip so you either use the time you're spending worry to fill those gaps you'll miss, or sit and worry about something you can't change.

https://www.rgs.org/OurWork/Schools/Fieldwork+and+local+learning/Fieldwork+techniques/Fieldwork+techniques.htm
Reply 5
Teachers can be the worst (I'm a teacher!) and even though it is probably really important to go, if you can catch up and make sure there's absolutely nothing that you really missed (maybe even practice what you missed) then you'll be fine. You will need to work extra hard to make up for it but if it's not the actual thing that is assessed but the skills you need then develop those skills later and don't worry about it.

There's literally nothing you can do now except for cancel your other trip so you either use the time you're spending worry to fill those gaps you'll miss, or sit and worry about something you can't change.

https://www.rgs.org/OurWork/Schools/Fieldwork+and+local+learning/Fieldwork+techniques/Fieldwork+techniques.htm

Thank you for the link, very helpful! :smile: Were my teachers just scaring me then when they were saying there is no way for me to develop the skills other than on the trip? I'm definitely more a 'reading' learner if that makes sense, but they said no matter what I do I'm going to be severely disadvantaged in the exam.
Original post by skuka
Thank you for the link, very helpful! :smile: Were my teachers just scaring me then when they were saying there is no way for me to develop the skills other than on the trip? I'm definitely more a 'reading' learner if that makes sense, but they said no matter what I do I'm going to be severely disadvantaged in the exam.

Severe disadvantage is nothing if you absolutely nail those skills before going into the exam. Get reading and practicing and then be smug in your knowledge. If it's not an assessments then all they can do is highly recommend. It can't affect your grade unless you just don't learn what you need to learn at all.

Good luck :biggrin:
Mine was a visit to Manchester (where I'm currently studying Geography!) do investigate rebranding. Totally pointless, made up my results in the exam, got full marks.
I had my fieldwork trip to Bournemouth to investigate crowded coasts and rebranding. The crowded coasts section was fairly useful, getting some actual measurements etc etc. but overall it wasn't the most important thing to go to. Covered most of the fieldwork techniques in much more detail back in class however. All the fieldtrip showed me was how to actually apply some of them :smile:
Reply 9
Severe disadvantage is nothing if you absolutely nail those skills before going into the exam. Get reading and practicing and then be smug in your knowledge. If it's not an assessments then all they can do is highly recommend. It can't affect your grade unless you just don't learn what you need to learn at all.

Good luck :biggrin:

Sorry to bump an old thread - was reading my old comments and just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting 88% UMS in that "fieldwork" exam! Thank you for your advice - I remember it was very comforting at the time. :biggrin:
Original post by skuka
Sorry to bump an old thread - was reading my old comments and just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting 88% UMS in that "fieldwork" exam! Thank you for your advice - I remember it was very comforting at the time. :biggrin:

Brilliant! Well done you.

I definitely have my uses sometimes. I doubt your teachers would have appreciated my advice though! It seems pointless to scare you about something you had so little control over. How was your family trip?
Reply 11
Brilliant! Well done you.

I definitely have my uses sometimes. I doubt your teachers would have appreciated my advice though! It seems pointless to scare you about something you had so little control over. How was your family trip?

It was fantastic thank you, I had a wonderful time in Berlin. I wish my teacher was as level headed and intellectually honest as you are! :redface:
Reply 12
You are overthinking, if you dont go your just missing out on the fun. I know lots of people that didnt go it didnt effects them in any way!!
Even if you dont go, you could conduct your own fieldwork investigation yourself, as that is what my school did with all of us, instead of doing a group fieldwork

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending