The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sadaar
Nope, I haven't auditioned before. I graduated last year and decided to take a gap year to work and figure out what I wanted to do. I honestly, just started seriously getting into acting about a month ago. I would like to audition, but I just have nothing prepared and think it's smarter for me to go for it a different year. haha

What schools are you interested in? Are you auditioning this year?

I am auditioning at RCS, Lamda, Central, Rada,and Guildhall. I had an audition for a conservatoire in July and I got in. But it is in LA and it isn't well known. I don't care about the name. I really just want a great experience at a place where I will learn and grow a lot. I prepared for is for about 2 months prior so I had time to prepare a classic and contemporary. However, I am open to changing my pieces. I found a new contemporary I love very much. A character I would love to play.

I'm excited because I get to put my all in and take risk because I have my back up school. As a US student you still have time. Remember our auditions aren't till end of January. Some are even later.
And I'm 22. So I feel a little old. But honestly I know I have so much to bring to any of the schools that I feel confident. Whatever happens will happen for a reason. :]
Reply 202
Original post by dropdeadthespian
And I'm 22. So I feel a little old. But honestly I know I have so much to bring to any of the schools that I feel confident. Whatever happens will happen for a reason. :]

That's not old at all! A lot of people do a degree before going to drama school. For example Tom Hiddleston did Classics first then went to RADA. :smile:
Age is experience and that's what they want. If anything you'll have an edge.
Reply 203
I am auditioning at RCS, Lamda, Central, Rada,and Guildhall. I had an audition for a conservatoire in July and I got in. But it is in LA and it isn't well known. I don't care about the name. I really just want a great experience at a place where I will learn and grow a lot. I prepared for is for about 2 months prior so I had time to prepare a classic and contemporary. However, I am open to changing my pieces. I found a new contemporary I love very much. A character I would love to play.

I'm excited because I get to put my all in and take risk because I have my back up school. As a US student you still have time. Remember our auditions aren't till end of January. Some are even later.

Nice, but curious which conservatoire do you get accepted into? I was also looking into some like William esper, stella adler, A.C.T, and maggie flannigan to name a few.

I was also feeling the same way, I gravitated to UK school because they seem more skill orientated. Also, UK Drama trained actors are starting to gain a larger presence in the US film industry lately. So it makes me think that there is something about the training they are receiving that is making them more appealing to agents/representation here. Whatever it is I would very much like to apart of it. Schools I like are, GSA, RCS, guildhall, RADA, LAMDA, RWCMD, oxford and drama centre.

Another reason I am not auditioning this year is because, financially I am not able and I also was trying to figure out how in the world I would even fund going if I was accepted. haha In the mean time I'm just jam packing my schedule with classes and trying to get into a summer intensive next year too. Pshh, I just turned 20 last month and 22 is not old, definitely use it to your advantage! Good luck at your auditions!
Original post by Sadaar
Nice, but curious which conservatoire do you get accepted into? I was also looking into some like William esper, stella adler, A.C.T, and maggie flannigan to name a few.

I was also feeling the same way, I gravitated to UK school because they seem more skill orientated. Also, UK Drama trained actors are starting to gain a larger presence in the US film industry lately. So it makes me think that there is something about the training they are receiving that is making them more appealing to agents/representation here. Whatever it is I would very much like to apart of it. Schools I like are, GSA, RCS, guildhall, RADA, LAMDA, RWCMD, oxford and drama centre.

Another reason I am not auditioning this year is because, financially I am not able and I also was trying to figure out how in the world I would even fund going if I was accepted. haha In the mean time I'm just jam packing my schedule with classes and trying to get into a summer intensive next year too. Pshh, I just turned 20 last month and 22 is not old, definitely use it to your advantage! Good luck at your auditions!

I understand the money thing. I am also married so two incomes definitely help a lot and I would be a bit discouraged to take it on my own. I went through a modern vocational school to get a good flexible job. Makeup, hair, and tech are all mostly flexible fields that pay really well.

I feel like most actors in America do not go through training. Because we have a belief system that you are either good at acting or you aren't. I believe actors from the UK have been in theatrical productions for a long time. Now that there are more on film/television producers are relying on training that has prepared you. Your less of a "risk".

I'm 26 and this is my first year of applying. So don't feel so old 😉
So I was doing some daily research and one thing that I never noticed was what RCS wanted from its CPP students. It says it is for the "Rebel performer" And then goes on to list some characteristics they want. If I am being really honest I feel I fit in with those characteristics. However if I am being more honest. I am not interested AT ALL.

Do you think RCS is saying they do not want acting students who are "bold, critical, experimental, politically aware"? That sounds so dull.

Am I reading this incorrectly?
Reply 207
This is the best thread ever. Do any of you know when RADA will open for applications, though? I'm going crazy here. Also, to everyone who auditioned before or know someone who did, what are interviews like? I'm terrified of them, because I know they usually ask why you want to do this and as much as I am sure that this is what I want, finding the words to express why is a problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can someone explain this to me please, as I'm not from the UK:
The Arts Educational Schools London has a three-year BA course and a three-year level 6 diploma in professional acting. The Course details are the same so what's the difference between those two? Or is it just for more ££?

I just turned 27 several weeks ago, and when I hopefully get into school, I'll be 28. So you're not alone in this!
Original post by cytja_0288
I just turned 27 several weeks ago, and when I hopefully get into school, I'll be 28. So you're not alone in this!

Wow that is awesome! Glad there are a bunch of people working towards there dreams!
Original post by BruB
This is the best thread ever. Do any of you know when RADA will open for applications, though? I'm going crazy here. Also, to everyone who auditioned before or know someone who did, what are interviews like? I'm terrified of them, because I know they usually ask why you want to do this and as much as I am sure that this is what I want, finding the words to express why is a problem.

The schools don't even know exactly what they want. They want potential and they want to somehow be able to gauge your commitment.

How bout you start writing your reasons for wanting to be in this type of program and try to streamline it from there? That is pretty much what I do. I write down why I want to go to one of these schools. I read the prospectus and copy and paste the things I love about the school. It isn't easy. You are going to need to control your fear.
Is anyone applying for a 1 year MA? If so which courses have you been looking at, I can't decide if any of them are worth it.
Original post by ZuperZuper
Is anyone applying for a 1 year MA? If so which courses have you been looking at, I can't decide if any of them are worth it.

I'm a U.S. student looking to apply for the 1 year MA, and I have four schools I'm looking at. The programs are:

*LAMDA: MA Classical Acting for the Professional Theatre
*University of Essex: MA in Acting (International)
*University of Surrey: Acting MA
*Mountview: Acting MA

I've been researching them for a while, and all of them seem like a great fit to me. It just depends on how I do on the auditions and which one sends me an offer. My top choice would have to Essex, though.
Cool, they all look great. I didn't do a performance based BA so I'm limited in the MA's I can apply for, for example all of those require a theatre undergrad degree.

Good luck to you!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm a U.S. student looking to apply for the 1 year MA, and I have four schools I'm looking at. The programs are:

I've been researching them for a while, and all of them seem like a great fit to me. It just depends on how I do on the auditions and which one sends me an offer. My top choice would have to Essex, though.

Are you applying to anywhere in America?

If you want to become a professional actor then LAMDA should be your first choice.
Not really, you could before a professional actor by going to any of those schools.
Original post by streether
Are you applying to anywhere in America?

The United States doesn't have any 1 year MA programs in my field; all they have are MFA programs in acting and longer MA programs. My professor suggested that I look into MA programs because of my limited studies in theatre as an undergraduate.
Reply 219
Hello everyone!

My name is Swara. I'm a final year law student in India and I'm hoping to switch to a career in performing arts. I'm 22 years old now and I don't think I will be able to apply for courses that start before 2017. I loved acting in school but haven't done much of it in my five years at law school. Further, our training in English literature in school doesn't even come close to the kind of training students receive in the UK (understandably). I'm also a trained dancer. I'm trained in Baharatanatyam, which is an Indian classical dance form. I would really like to do work that blends both theatre and Bharatanatyam as I find the interplay extremely interesting.
I would really like to come and study acting in the UK as quite simply, I believe that's where the best training is. But I would really appreciate help from anyone here about what I need to work on to get in. I've been to a lot of the websites and I understand I need to prepare pieces for an audition and the specific requirements vary with each school. I've never been for an audition like this before, so I have no idea where to even start.
I'm also unsure of what kind of course I should apply to. As much as a BA in acting sounds extremely exciting, I'm already 22 with one five year degree under my belt and honestly, I'm worried that it's already too late for another bachelor's degree.
If anyone here has any help to offer me, I'd be very very grateful.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending