The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Acts 20:9 (New Living Translation)As Paul spoke on and on, a young man named Eutychus, sitting on the windowsill, became very drowsy. Finally, he fell sound asleep and dropped three stories to his death below.

Never good to sit on a windowsill.:colondollar::K:
So much persecution of Christians going on around the world.

I read 11 were martyred today, God help those who are living amongst such oppressiveness. Elderly Christian women. in persecuted countries, are being killed for their faith every 5 minutes.

In 1 Timothy 3 v 1 it says "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come".

Open Doors do a lot of work in this area and would value our prayers.
http://www.opendoorsuk.org/pray/
Original post by Racoon
Acts 20:9 (New Living Translation)As Paul spoke on and on, a young man named Eutychus, sitting on the windowsill, became very drowsy. Finally, he fell sound asleep and dropped three stories to his death below.

Never good to sit on a windowsill.:colondollar::K:

This is especially funny since 'Eutychus' means 'Lucky'.
Original post by grownupfrog
This is especially funny since 'Eutychus' means 'Lucky'.

I never realised the name had such a meaning. I just looked it up, it also means happy and fortunate, not so fortunate or happy/lucky. :smile:

I guess the moral of the story is if listening to boring sermons and you are sitting on a windowsill - make sure its on the ground floor hahah
I haven't posted in here for ages, but I was wondering how mainstream Christians perceived Quakers. I've been to a few meetings and I really enjoyed them, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to become one or whether I should try a more mainstream branch of Christianity.

Going to uni this time next year, so I should be free to try things out (my parents are very anti religious...) but I'm still very confused in my head. I'd really like to try out a Christian society when I go, and maybe join a church or something, but I'm not sure whether I'm brave enough. :colondollar:
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I haven't posted in here for ages, but I was wondering how mainstream Christians perceived Quakers. I've been to a few meetings and I really enjoyed them, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to become one or whether I should try a more mainstream branch of Christianity.

Going to uni this time next year, so I should be free to try things out (my parents are very anti religious...) but I'm still very confused in my head. I'd really like to try out a Christian society when I go, and maybe join a church or something, but I'm not sure whether I'm brave enough. :colondollar:

:hi:

I have a lot of respect for the Quakers, even though I'd never want to be a Quaker myself :h: If you enjoy their meetings why not find out a bit more about what they teach/profess and see if it is something you can understand or believe in? :smile:

A word of warning: university-wide Christian Unions are a very specific kind of Christianity. I'm not sure how they view Quakers but I could foresee it being a bit of a sticking point. That said, many universities have smaller Christian socieities for individual denominations and you can go to the meetings of a few and/or church-hop around to find a place of worship that suits you and sits well with your current beliefs and way of thinking :smile:

What were you before? (Atheist)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi:

I have a lot of respect for the Quakers, even though I'd never want to be a Quaker myself :h: If you enjoy their meetings why not find out a bit more about what they teach/profess and see if it is something you can understand or believe in? :smile:

A word of warning: university-wide Christian Unions are a very specific kind of Christianity. I'm not sure how they view Quakers but I could foresee it being a bit of a sticking point. That said, many universities have smaller Christian socieities for individual denominations and you can go to the meetings of a few and/or church-hop around to find a place of worship that suits you and sits well with your current beliefs and way of thinking :smile:

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I've talked to Quakers and the people in the meetings and I love how it seems to be a very spiritual group - not based so much on doctrine as on the message of Christianity and it seems to be quite closely linked to Jesus and His teachings - being nonviolent and accepting of all different kinds of people. They're definitely messages I firmly believe in, although I'm planning on talking to other Christian groups about what they believe and how they worship.

I have to admit I quite like the idea of more active worship, but I think some Quakers do that anyway. I guess I could mix a little, attending more traditional services alongside contemplation. I'd absolutely love to experience a church service, but I'm terrified I wouldn't know what to do. :redface:

Original post by MrKmas508
What were you before? (Atheist)

I was a very strong atheist, having been brought up by a dad who wasn't that interested in religion but saw all religion as bad, and a mum who adored anything by Richard Dawkins. I did "come out" to my dad about being agnostic when my beliefs started to change (although I haven't told him about being a theist...) But I did have a bit of an argument with my parents when they started bashing Christianity a little, and I think my dad guessed I loved religion when he realised just how interested I was by the Bible. I actually wanted to do Theology for a while and told my parents so, but I wasn't sure it was worth doing a degree in the subject so now I'm just doing it out of general interest.

So I went from strong atheist - atheist - wavering agnostic - leaning towards theist - theist. All in the space of about a year.
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I've talked to Quakers and the people in the meetings and I love how it seems to be a very spiritual group - not based so much on doctrine as on the message of Christianity and it seems to be quite closely linked to Jesus and His teachings - being nonviolent and accepting of all different kinds of people. They're definitely messages I firmly believe in, although I'm planning on talking to other Christian groups about what they believe and how they worship.

I have to admit I quite like the idea of more active worship, but I think some Quakers do that anyway. I guess I could mix a little, attending more traditional services alongside contemplation. I'd absolutely love to experience a church service, but I'm terrified I wouldn't know what to do. :redface:

Ah, I didn't know some Quakers do more active worship! I have to say, their worship style is not for me, which is why I could never be a Quaker! But that's not to say there's anything wrong with it - it's just I'm used to and prefer something quite different! :smile:

I think most Catholic and Church of England churches have service cards which tell you what to say and when to sit/stand/kneel/bow, etc. So you would not have to worry about not knowing what to do. In any case, if there ISN'T a service card for whatever reason, just sit at the back and follow what other people do in terms of sitting/standing/kneeling/bowing. If you choose to keep going, you'll eventually learn the words, no problem! :smile:

I'm Roman Catholic but I opted to attend services at my university college's chapel, which is Church of England. I literally had no idea what to do at any point in the service, so for weeks I was just following someone else and what they were doing. When it came to saying stuff, I would just bow my head respectfully. Eventually I got used to the format and then they brought in service booklets detailing what to say and do at each bit, which was very handy :biggrin:
Ah, I didn't know some Quakers do more active worship! I have to say, their worship style is not for me, which is why I could never be a Quaker! But that's not to say there's anything wrong with it - it's just I'm used to and prefer something quite different! :smile:

I think most Catholic and Church of England churches have service cards which tell you what to say and when to sit/stand/kneel/bow, etc. So you would not have to worry about not knowing what to do. In any case, if there ISN'T a service card for whatever reason, just sit at the back and follow what other people do in terms of sitting/standing/kneeling/bowing. If you choose to keep going, you'll eventually learn the words, no problem! :smile:

I'm Roman Catholic but I opted to attend services at my university college's chapel, which is Church of England. I literally had no idea what to do at any point in the service, so for weeks I was just following someone else and what they were doing. When it came to saying stuff, I would just bow my head respectfully. Eventually I got used to the format and then they brought in service booklets detailing what to say and do at each bit, which was very handy :biggrin:

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. :biggrin:
Thank you so much! That is very helpful. :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin: Remember, you can't receive communion in a Catholic church but aside from that, just follow whatever anyone/everyone else does and you can't go far wrong :biggrin:
No problem :biggrin: Remember, you can't receive communion in a Catholic church but aside from that, just follow whatever anyone/everyone else does and you can't go far wrong :biggrin:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what exactly is communion? Is it just an ordinary service or mass?
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what exactly is communion? Is it just an ordinary service or mass?

Communion is the bread (as in the bread and wine, bread!) :jebus: If you want to go up and receive a blessing from the priest at a Catholic Mass, you may do so and are very welcome! You just cross your arms over your chest in an X shape :wink:
Communion is the bread (as in the bread and wine, bread!) :jebus: If you want to go up and receive a blessing from the priest at a Catholic Mass, you may do so and are very welcome! You just cross your arms over your chest in an X shape :wink:

Ahhh, yes, that makes more sense now. I always thought non-Catholics weren't really welcome at Mass, but I guess I was wrong!
Ahhh, yes, that makes more sense now. I always thought non-Catholics weren't really welcome at Mass, but I guess I was wrong!

No, you are most definitely very welcome :biggrin:
Also sorry about the winky face - must have hit the wrong button in my haste to respond before dinner :facepalm:
Also sorry about the winky face - must have hit the wrong button in my haste to respond before dinner :facepalm:

Haha, I didn't even notice that!
Haha, I didn't even notice that!

I just noticed it when I was re-reading my response to you, and was like :no: :facepalm: :getmecoat:
Reply 5418

Your chapel had no booklets? :eek:
Original post by Mazzini
Your chapel had no booklets? :eek:

Not when I started :no:

Quick Reply

Latest