The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GraduateMedLyf
Hi all, sorry if this has already been answered but I cant seem to find the info anywhere! Does anyone know how much of a weight masters/phd graduates will be given for Barts now that they consider 50:50 UKCAT to academics?

I just got 697.5 in my UKCAT (dissapointed) but have a first in my degree, however its only a B.Sc so am unsure if the first will be enough to outweigh my UKCAT score...

Also wondering this! Someone a while ago said a first was ranked very highly but they might've been talking out their arse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GraduateMedLyf
Hi all, sorry if this has already been answered but I cant seem to find the info anywhere! Does anyone know how much of a weight masters/phd graduates will be given for Barts now that they consider 50:50 UKCAT to academics?

I just got 697.5 in my UKCAT (dissapointed) but have a first in my degree, however its only a B.Sc so am unsure if the first will be enough to outweigh my UKCAT score...

The ranking hasnt been decided yet, but it will be higher for a first, but sounds like not significantly...
Original post by Natha_Lite
UCAS sent off! Now to play the waiting game and hope it's third time lucky.

Good luck from a fellow third-timer!!
Original post by Alexdaman93
Realistically, with a 2.i, is there much point in applying to Cambridge?

What A level grades do you have?
Original post by christyriot
Good luck from a fellow third-timer!!

Thanks! Good luck to you too. Have you sent your application off?
Thanks! Good luck to you too. Have you sent your application off?

Thank you! No not yet, just finishing off my personal statement! How about you? :smile:
Reply 2486
Original post by wciselko
I want to know the UKCAT averages already! Anyone else feeling impatient/ super nervous ? :P
I used to be happy with my score and after reading so many posts, I am starting to freak out lol

Yeah, as I'm in that horrible 700ish no mans land, I'm super nervous/impatient! I really want to see a slight drop in the avr., but with QR apparently being much easier this year, I think it may go the other way. Bleurrrgh!
Thank you! No not yet, just finishing off my personal statement! How about you? :smile:

Yeah, after a lot of hand wringing about which universities to pick :laugh:
Original post by MaccyA
I just sat my ukcat and got

VR:700
QR:650
AR:830
DA:600 (:angry:)
B1

Which averages me at 695. Is it worth applying to Warwick?

I got 712.5 last year and got accepted into Warwick and Barts but had to decline for family and finical reasons. Had a lot of personal things going on the last few months and working over full time hours so really didn't have the time to prepare so I'm pretty gutted.

In your position, I would certainly give Warwick a try, particularly with such a good VR score,
Original post by megan_notfox
Hi,

Not sure which universities to apply to with my UKCAT score:

VR: 610
QR: 790
AR: 640 (I usually average above 700 :frown: )
DA: 700
B2 (:frown:)

Originally I was thinking King's, Barts, and either Southampton or Newcastle. I might scratch King's out and just do the last three?

My 1st option is Oxford (hopefully with a good BMAT score, I can get an interview and try to do well in that too)

Graduated with an MSci from Imperial College with 2.1

A-level: A*A*AAA (Maths, Geography, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology)

Any help will be appreciated!

Honesty, I don't think your UKCAT will be high enough for southampton or Newcastle, since they literally just rank all applicants on that basis and invite the top scorers- your otherwise excellent academics wouldn't help you.

Have you thought about Bristol? Or Birmingham? Both look highly on good academics (I think they will consider a high 2.1 although they prefer a 1st)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, after a lot of hand wringing about which universities to pick :laugh:

Haha :smile: Tell me about it! Where have you chosen? :biggrin:
Haha :smile: Tell me about it! Where have you chosen? :biggrin:

Warwick, St George's, KCL and Manchester. How about you? :smile:
Warwick, St George's, KCL and Manchester. How about you? :smile:

Awesome :smile: I've gone for Warwick, Newcastle and Southampton. Then it's between KCL and Barts for number 4... I'm still undecided.. :tongue: Maybe I'll see what the UKCAT averages are before I finalise my decision!! Are you going for GEM only or some 5 year courses as well? How have you found the application process in the previous cycles? Any interviews?! :smile:
Original post by ninalouise258
Oh awesome!! Are you still there? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!
Does any one know if Glasgow look at ukcat a lot or are they more lenient?Also do they prefer Scottish applicants over English? Thinking of putting their five year course down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found out today that for those doing the UKCAT you have to put it in the education section of your UCAS application. This information is from UCAS.
Original post by pharma21
Does any one know if Glasgow look at ukcat a lot or are they more lenient?Also do they prefer Scottish applicants over English? Thinking of putting their five year course down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This info is available on their website
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/#/entryrequirements
http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/admissions/ukclinicalaptitudetestukcat/
Awesome :smile: I've gone for Warwick, Newcastle and Southampton. Then it's between KCL and Barts for number 4... I'm still undecided.. :tongue: Maybe I'll see what the UKCAT averages are before I finalise my decision!! Are you going for GEM only or some 5 year courses as well? How have you found the application process in the previous cycles? Any interviews?! :smile:

I had the same dilemma between KCL and Barts! Manchester is my only 5 year choice.

My UKCAT scores weren't too great in the last two cycles, so I didn't get any interviews which is why I'm so much happier with my result this year. What about you? Any interviews in the previous cycles?
Original post by Ebuwa
I found out today that for those doing the UKCAT you have to put it in the education section of your UCAS application. This information is from UCAS.

can someone else confirm this? I tried to do it and it wasn't possible. Plus, the last time I applied to medical school, I didn't have to do it
Original post by blackraven
can someone else confirm this? I tried to do it and it wasn't possible. Plus, the last time I applied to medical school, I didn't have to do it

I was surprised by this, so i googled it, the general consensus was that you didnt need to, theres a whole thread on here about it but i cant renember where now

Quick Reply

Latest