The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NT226
What about Somerville - what's the average MAT score for this college?

70.4 according to this: Freedom of information request: average MAT of successful applicants by college

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions-feedback-ppe
This here says that shortlisting was not based on the personal statement. Is it really that insignificant for Oxbridge?
Original post by PlaneovertheSea
http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions-feedback-ppe
This here says that shortlisting was not based on the personal statement. Is it really that insignificant for Oxbridge?

Really depends on the tutor, tbh. Some tutors may not even read your personal statement, whereas others may want to use it as a starting point for the interview, and then there's everything in between those two opposites!
Not even read? Thats insane.

Not really, when you think about all the work they have to do in term time, then adding admissions stuff on top of that. There's so much to do and so little time :eek: Besides, there is a pre-admissions test for PPE, so more emphasis is naturally going to go on that rather than something like a PS :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not really, when you think about all the work they have to do in term time, then adding admissions stuff on top of that. There's so much to do and so little time :eek: Besides, there is a pre-admissions test for PPE, so more emphasis is naturally going to go on that rather than something like a PS :yes:

Yes, time wise this is definitely understandable. I still believe though that a reference and grades cannot paint the full picture. The TSA is a good indicator but additional reading and work surrounding a subject is just as important in my eyes. A german applicant (who can barely choose different subjects) might basically apply for anything with this approach and wouldn't really need to show special interest, if good performance in a related subject is mentioned in the reference.
Well today I sent off my application to study Mathematics at Somerville college Oxford. Good luck to everyone else hoping to get a place at Oxford.
Yes, time wise this is definitely understandable. I still believe though that a reference and grades cannot paint the full picture. The TSA is a good indicator but additional reading and work surrounding a subject is just as important in my eyes. A german applicant (who can barely choose different subjects) might basically apply for anything with this approach and wouldn't really need to show special interest, if good performance in a related subject is mentioned in the reference.

I personally agree with you. Just answering your question, which includes pointing out that some tutors don't even read the PS, that's all! :smile:
I personally agree with you. Just answering your question, which includes pointing out that some tutors don't even read the PS, that's all! :smile:

Sorry, wasn't meant personal if that came across :O
Sorry, wasn't meant personal if that came across :O

That's OK! I can see why applicants would find it strange, especially as so much effort goes into the personal statement! Rest assured all non-interview unis in the UK will read it properly though, plus many Oxford tutors DO read them, so it's not a wasted exercise :biggrin:
Sent off my app for Chinese @ Wadham:-)
Original post by kitchentowel1
Ive completed everything but my school seem to be holding my application hostage for some reason :frown: they send them out in batches on Tuesday and Thursday but they haven't sent it off yet :frown:

Have you?

Aaaah that's so annoying for you :frown: I know I had to really push my school to get mine off early, they just wait till closer till the deadline because they say it doesn't overly matter how early you get it in, I'd just rather have it sent off
I sent mine off last Wednesday but have only received welcome emails from two universities so far :frown:
Constantly checking my emails 😓

I really doubt they don't read them. The tutors may not give them any weight but they do often, for example, use them as a source to prime some interview questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my application received email today :smile: getting excited about hearing from the college itself now about what work to submit!
Original post by Ivoryfall
Got my application received email today :smile: getting excited about hearing from the college itself now about what work to submit!

Me too!
Regarding written work, will the college send out an email later on about how they would like to receive it?
Original post by antigone-
Me too!

Original post by Ivoryfall

Whaaaaatt?! When did you guys submit? I still haven't gotten an acknowledgement and I sent mine on the 16th of Sept.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Whaaaaatt?! When did you guys submit? I still haven't gotten an acknowledgement and I sent mine on the 16th of Sept.

Posted from TSR Mobile

September 18th, literally just came through! You should get it at some point today
Original post by antigone-
September 18th, literally just came through! You should get it at some point today

Ah, fair enough! *eagerly awaits an email*

On another note, I got my MAT entry confirmed today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Ah, fair enough! *eagerly awaits an email*

On another note, I got my MAT entry confirmed today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you register yourself? My school has registered I believe so will I get a confirmation?

Latest

Trending

Trending