The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I'm a biomed student aspiring to apply for GEM for 2017 entry. I never did very well in school or college and came out with pretty average GCSEs but only 2 A levels.I really didn't care about education when I was younger and it's coming back to haunt me now. So I realise that my application is pretty poor from the start however I am doing much better at uni now that I have adopted the correct attitude. I am worried though that I am at an even more disadvantage because I don't attend a Russel Group university (should I be?).

I now have 2 weeks experience lined up, one in a local GP surgery and one in a local hospital and I also volunteer at a hospital near uni. In addition I have placement 2 days a week all year with my uni course so I am getting a lot of experience in a medical setting. I really want some advice from you guys with more knowledge than I do about GEM because this is very new to me. I am not a student that has always planned on doing this, my ambition to study medicine has only really developed during the last year so I need to work really hard to become prepared over this year. I think I would be better at the UKCAT but the GMSAT universities are the ones that seem to focus less on A Levels etc..

I already know that I'm starting on a low and I am constantly disheartened when reading other people's stories. Applying for GEM is daunting for any student and for me it feels like it's 20x worse.
Reply 221
Original post by Thomas96
Hi guys, I'm a biomed student aspiring to apply for GEM for 2017 entry. I never did very well in school or college and came out with pretty average GCSEs but only 2 A levels.I really didn't care about education when I was younger and it's coming back to haunt me now. So I realise that my application is pretty poor from the start however I am doing much better at uni now that I have adopted the correct attitude. I am worried though that I am at an even more disadvantage because I don't attend a Russel Group university (should I be?).

I now have 2 weeks experience lined up, one in a local GP surgery and one in a local hospital and I also volunteer at a hospital near uni. In addition I have placement 2 days a week all year with my uni course so I am getting a lot of experience in a medical setting. I really want some advice from you guys with more knowledge than I do about GEM because this is very new to me. I am not a student that has always planned on doing this, my ambition to study medicine has only really developed during the last year so I need to work really hard to become prepared over this year. I think I would be better at the UKCAT but the GMSAT universities are the ones that seem to focus less on A Levels etc..

I already know that I'm starting on a low and I am constantly disheartened when reading other people's stories. Applying for GEM is daunting for any student and for me it feels like it's 20x worse.

I wouldn't worry about it mate. I have no a levels and next to 0 GCSE's. I was a late bloomer as well. I'm just about to send my application off for GEM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomas96

As long as you do well in UKCAT or GAMSAT, then you should be fine :smile:
I'm going to try for 2017 entry, and do UKCAT and GAMSAT.
Original post by neuronerd
Hi

I'm a biomed grad applying for 2016 entry and I also have a foundation year instead of A-levels. I'm applying to Oxford, Nottingham, Swansea and Liverpool.

My stats:
Gamsat 72
MSc by research (Oxford)
Medical Science 2:1 (Birmingham)
Foundation year 82% (UEA)

Fingers crossed, feel free to message me to see how I get on

Any tips for GAMSAT? How long preparation did you do for it?
Hi neuronerd: wow your stats for gamsat everything looks pretty amazing could you give me any tips on how you scored so high on the gamsat please as i'm going to be taking gamsat in 2016 i would really like your help thanks.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Any tips for GAMSAT? How long preparation did you do for it?

I started prep in Dec and took it in March (I can't recommend doing the march sitting enough!!! You have your results in May so can plan application or resit in Sept if it all goes pete tong)

I used khan academy and the acer practice tests/questions.

Do both practice tests under full timed conditions and mark them to find your areas that need more study. In section III I got 50% in test 1 (about 2 months in study) and 60% in test 2 (a couple of days before the test). Section I I got about 80% both times and did not revise this section or section 2. Test day section I felt harder than my practice tests, section III felt like a dream exam, I literally understood nearly everything! Final result: 69, 73, 73 (72 overall aka top 1-2%)

Good luck!
I started prep in Dec and took it in March (I can't recommend doing the march sitting enough!!! You have your results in May so can plan application or resit in Sept if it all goes pete tong)

Do both practice tests under full timed conditions and mark them to find your areas that need more study. In section III I got 50% in test 1 (about 2 months in study) and 60% in test 2 (a couple of days before the test). Section I I got about 80% both times and did not revise this section or section 2. Test day section I felt harder than my practice tests, section III felt like a dream exam, I literally understood nearly everything! Final result: 69, 73, 73 (72 overall aka top 1-2%)

Good luck!

Amazing. This gives me something to work on. So Khan Academy will give you the level of science that is needed for section III?

And the schools you're applying to only look at PS, GAMSAT score and degree classification?

You did well. I'm currently doing a masters so sitting it in March would be too much for me but I'll start early preparation. I'll register for GAMSAT if I fail my UKCAT in July next year.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Amazing. This gives me something to work on. So Khan Academy will give you the level of science that is needed for section III?

And the schools you're applying to only look at PS, GAMSAT score and degree classification?

You did well. I'm currently doing a masters so sitting it in March would be too much for me but I'll start early preparation. I'll register for GAMSAT if I fail my UKCAT in July next year.

Pretty much no one looks at the PS, its just GAMSAT rank for notts and Swansea and Liverpool looks at everything so is a bit of a punt. Oxford is a different kettle of fish but I loved it there so am giving it a shot.
On my placement year but doing a Biomedical Science degree and looking to apply for Graduate entry medicine in 2016!
Like many other people in the thread, academically I was a late bloomer and because of that my GSCE's are pretty mediocre and nothing special but I have always had the idea of applying for medicine in the back of my mind.
Got 71% in my first year and 66% in my second year despite feeling like I had bombed the majority of my exam just because I kind of lost my grip on the fact I was in university to study and not drink. Now working full time in order to build my work ethic up and definitely aiming for first overall in my degree.
So far my credentials are: ABBBBCCCCCE in GCSE (B in science and C in math and English) and ABCe at A level (Geology, Geography and Biology). Have a week of work shadowing in an orthopaedic hospital including within the Operating Theatre. Looking to do volunteering in the local hospice in order to show evidence of my commitment to medicine and maybe fit it other stuff too. Also planning on taking UKCAT beginning of next September. REALLY not looking forward to writing this damn personal statement.
G'luck everyone :smile:
Pretty much no one looks at the PS, its just GAMSAT rank for notts and Swansea and Liverpool looks at everything so is a bit of a punt. Oxford is a different kettle of fish but I loved it there so am giving it a shot.

Great thanks, I wish you all the best with your application and again well done with your GAMSAT. I had an open day at Notts for GEM but I was studying for my UKCAT (didn't do so great at it and I think the time pressure got to me) but I didn't go.

Oxford is definitely great. I know quite a few who go there, was also looking at doing an MSc there with regards to some research I was going to do but decided to just stick to science.

Good luck!

I'd like to know how you get on, also where in London can I do medical work experience?
Original post by Meir kest
I'd like to know how you get on, also where in London can I do medical work experience?

I'll be updating on here as I hear back :smile: Not a clue about london as I'm from leeds lol
I'll be updating on here as I hear back :smile: Not a clue about london as I'm from leeds lol

I work in Leeds, where abouts it Leeds can you get relevant experience?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I work in Leeds, where abouts it Leeds can you get relevant experience?

I shadowed a neurosurgeon at LGI (I emailed them on their information website but it took months to set up) and I now work at the LGI in phlebotomy. Plus I did a ton of **** at uni too
I shadowed a neurosurgeon at LGI (I emailed them on their information website but it took months to set up) and I now work at the LGI in phlebotomy. Plus I did a ton of **** at uni too

booooo to censorship!

booooo to censorship!

That's actually really useful to know, means some of the consultants may be willing to let me shadow them! Would you be willing to tell me the name of the neurosurgeon please as they chances are if they have let you shadow they would be willing to let another student? That's exactly the reason I am trying to organise work shadowing now rather than in summer, although last summer I got really lucky and managed to organise a weeks work shadowing within 4 weeks of contacting the hospital!

Oooh I work just around the corning from you in LIGHT if you know where that is.

Haha I got the gist of what you meant!
If you email this site's admin it goes directly to a neurosurgeon called Mr. Ian Anderson but I didn't tell you that!
http://www.leedsneurosurgery.com/
If you email this site's admin it goes directly to a neurosurgeon called Mr. Ian Anderson but I didn't tell you that!
http://www.leedsneurosurgery.com/

Not all heroes wear capes...
Thank you!

Is it the email under general inquiries?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Not all heroes wear capes...
Thank you!

Is it the email under general inquiries?

It is indeed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending