The Student Room Group

Labour and Lib Dems team up to denounce national flag as 'damaging.'

Yet more state-sponsored self-loathing from the manufacturers of guilt and shame. Yet more brainwashing being exerted to determine what people are allowed to think, and how they're allowed to think it. Labour and Lib Dem councillors have teamed up to prevent the flying of the national flag.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/07/labour-and-lib-dems-brand-union-flag-nasty-nationalistic-demand-it-isnt-flown-at-schools/

“We would encourage patriotism, but the Tories are in danger of encouraging the nationalism that did so much damage in the twentieth century. Citizenship is an important part of the national curriculum in schools and we should leave it to teachers and governors to decide on the most appropriate ways of promoting British values in their schools.“

"One British value that we believe in that of compassion for those in more difficult circumstances was sadly lacking in the Conservative comments on Syrian refugees within the Council meeting.”

Multiculturalism: 'every culture must prevail, every culture must be permitted to express itself freely, except British culture. That's *insert pejorative term here*.'

What is Labour without national division? Nothing. They've got no-one to appeal to in a unified state.
(edited 8 years ago)
They don't seem to have any such compunctions when it comes to flying the EU's flag.
Original post by thesabbath
They don't seem to have any such compunctions when it comes to flying the EU's flag.

The EU flag is hardly nationalistic.

I am fine with Union Jacks being waved in schools btw - I'd be less keen on the flags of the four nations of the UK being flown at schools in their respective territories as I'm a British unionist and dislike the propagation of divisive nationalism within the country.
Original post by RayApparently

I am fine with Union Jacks being waved in schools btw - I'd be less keen on the flags of the four nations of the UK being flown at schools in their respective territories as I'm a British unionist and dislike the propagation of divisive nationalism within the country.

Don't you think it's an indication of just how fundamentally deconstructed we've become that we are now making the statement 'I am fine with the national flag being raised in the country of said national flag'?

Surely it shouldn't even have to be said. However, Labour and The Lib Dems make out it's some sort of affront to decency. It's mental. I can think of few other nation-states in the world where such a statement could be made and be deemed a rational point of view, or even a point worth expressing.
(edited 8 years ago)

Debating whether it is "nationalistic" is semantics, really. The Soviet Union and the United States of America are (federal, bureaucratic, supreme) models to which the EU can be realistically likened, with heavy emphasis on the former. The idea that neither of those constructs was nationalistic is risible. In terms of letting you know who is boss, for a project which claims to have "progressed" from nationalism, the EU is remarkably unshy about stamping its twelve stars wherever it can get away with. This is not an accident.

As an assertion of aggression against our own national flag (with which it is now vying for supremacy) this is naturally resisted by those who identify primarily with Britain (or its constituent nations) and encouraged by those who identify primarily with "Europe" (as in the political construct that the EU would have us believe is synonymous with the continent as a fait accompli). Strictly speaking it is hard not to see such people as traitors, as they are supporting the aims of a foreign power in its takeover of our country.
The union jack does contain the flag of a guy born in what is modern day Syria. So it seems to be a good symbol for the diverse multicultural society that is modern day Britain.
Reply 6
This is disgusting. This is the United Kingdom, it is not "nationalistic" to show some pride for your country. No matter what background, ethnicity or religion, if you're born in this country you are a British citizen and should be proud that you are.
No one, and I mean no one has the right to choose whether we fly our national flag or not. How despicable. Politics in this country are going to the dogs.
Original post by Quantex
The union jack does contain the flag of a guy born in what is modern day Syria. So it seems to be a good symbol for the diverse multicultural society that is modern day Britain.

It doesn't look anything like this.

Original post by DiddyDec
It doesn't look anything like this.

I hear Tower Hamlets council are changing their logo to that.
Original post by Crb822
. No matter what background, ethnicity or religion, if you're born in this country you are a British citizen and should be proud that you are.

Not necessarily, only if your parents were British as well. Jus soli is almost completely gone apart from the US and Canada.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Yet more state-sponsored self-loathing from the manufacturers of guilt and shame. Yet more brainwashing being exerted to determine what people are allowed to think, and how they're allowed to think it. Labour and Lib Dem councillors have teamed up to prevent the flying of the national flag.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/07/labour-and-lib-dems-brand-union-flag-nasty-nationalistic-demand-it-isnt-flown-at-schools/

At what point in the article were Labour or Liberal Democrat councillors quoted to say that we are not allowed to be patriotic and that we are not allowed to be proud of our country?

And how is not flying a flag akin to brainwashing?

Original post by TheCitizenAct
“We would encourage patriotism, but the Tories are in danger of encouraging the nationalism that did so much damage in the twentieth century. Citizenship is an important part of the national curriculum in schools and we should leave it to teachers and governors to decide on the most appropriate ways of promoting British values in their schools.“

"One British value that we believe in that of compassion for those in more difficult circumstances was sadly lacking in the Conservative comments on Syrian refugees within the Council meeting.”

What's the issue?

Aside from the topic of nationalism, singing the national anthem at every school assembly is a complete waste of time and resources.

Besides, I'm really struggling to understand what kind of ''British values'' will be learnt from flying a flag and singing a song. It'd be like painting the walls blue to get more children to adopt Conservative values.

Do the Labour and Liberal Democrat councillors want pupils to sing the EU anthem or for the EU flag to be flown above schools?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale
At what point in the article were Labour or Liberal Democrat councillors quoted to say that we are not allowed to be patriotic and that we are not allowed to be proud of our country?
And how is not flying a flag akin to brainwashing?

It seems that lip service is being paid to the product of decades of internationalist propaganda that "patriotic" is good and "nationalism" is bad, but if the flying of the national flag and the singing of the national anthem is deemed by these councillors to "promote nasty, nationalistic tendencies" then it wouldn't seem to leave much room for patriotism. Or at least that they consider there to be no real difference, both being obstacles to a border-less utopia.

What's the issue?

Aside from the topic of nationalism, singing the national anthem at every school assembly is a complete waste of time and resources.

Besides, I'm really struggling to understand what kind of ''British values'' will be learnt from flying a flag and singing a song. It'd be like painting the walls blue to get more children to adopt Conservative values.

It is first and foremost symbolic. It reminds that one's social contract of rights and responsibilities is beholden not to a secular deracinated world phantasm of "universal human rights" but real tangible ones upheld by British institutions. This, of course, is territory on which the EU would like to muscle in. Do you really believe the internationalists would devote so much attention to quashing these symbols if they thought they were merely a "waste of time and resources"? Would the EU really be stamping its flag everywhere?

Do the Labour and Liberal Democrat councillors want pupils to sing the EU anthem or for the EU flag to be flown above schools?

By dismantling British identity while failing to attack its competitors in like manner they are opening a power vacuum which will be filled not by an end of nationalism but by its replacement with EU imperialism.

If you really want to be pedantic I expect that, if forced to choose, they would opt for the homosexual rainbow flag over the EU flag.
Reply 13

Well put.
It seems that lip service is being paid to the product of decades of internationalist propaganda that "patriotic" is good and "nationalism" is bad, but if the flying of the national flag and the singing of the national anthem is deemed by these councillors to "promote nasty, nationalistic tendencies" then it wouldn't seem to leave much room for patriotism. Or at least that they consider there to be no real difference, both being obstacles to a border-less utopia.

It is first and foremost symbolic. It reminds that one's social contract of rights and responsibilities is beholden not to a secular deracinated world phantasm of "universal human rights" but real tangible ones upheld by British institutions.

Not really. You can be patriotic and proud of your country without having to sing the national anthem or hanging up the flag. To quote the councillors themselves:

''We would encourage patriotism, but the Tories are in danger of encouraging the nationalism that did so much damage in the twentieth century. Citizenship is an important part of the national curriculum in schools and we should leave it to teachers and governors to decide on the most appropriate ways of promoting British values in their schools.''

To some extent I agree with them. Throwing visual or auditory images at someone and expecting that they will just blindly accept them is dangerous and wouldn't create any meaningful sense of pride or patriotism. As someone who is so adamantly against the ''that's racist!!!1!!!!!11!'' mentality surely you must realise that?

One of the best ways to teach people the importance and superiority of any value system would be to compare it to the values of other groups and explain why yours are better. You could show them the positive impacts that these values have on people in real life. If you wanted people to be proud of their country and patriotic then you should show them the achievements that their country has made and how life is better than it is elsewhere.

Hanging up the flag on the grounds that it is ''symbolic'' would mean nothing to someone who doesn't understand what the flag even represents. I'd go as far as to say that if you love your country and it's values then you wouldn't need a flag or an anthem at all, or at least they wouldn't have any major significance to your beliefs.

This, of course, is territory on which the EU would like to muscle in. Do you really believe the internationalists would devote so much attention to quashing these symbols if they thought they were merely a "waste of time and resources"? Would the EU really be stamping its flag everywhere?

By dismantling British identity while failing to attack its competitors in like manner they are opening a power vacuum which will be filled not by an end of nationalism but by its replacement with EU imperialism.

If you really want to be pedantic I expect that, if forced to choose, they would opt for the homosexual rainbow flag over the EU flag.

Your ability to drag in every opinion or thing that you hate into a discussion that's completely separate to them is astonishing. What has a border-less utopia, EU imperialism or homosexual rainbow flags got to do with anything that had been presented in the OP? Is it that hard for you to stick to a topic?
The thing is no one denounced the flag as 'damaging' or 'nasty' if you care about the truth rather than the drivel the Express came up with then read the following

http://www.libdemvoice.org/no-we-didnt-call-the-flag-nasty-47812.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending